PDA

View Full Version : going to hike AT - NEED HOUSE SITTER in PUERTO RICO

Gonzo!
06-11-2007, 08:34
Would like to hike the AT again after 25 years next spring '08 if I can find someone to stay with my wife in Puerto Rico. Looking for a FEMALE to spend roughly 6 months on a tropical island with beaches within 10 minutes, caves, mountains, snorkeling etc. please call 787-895 0302 if interested. We check email only about once a week [email protected]
please help this become a reality!
Alan

saimyoji
06-11-2007, 13:16
This is a joke right? :-?

Uncle Silly
06-11-2007, 13:20
looks like one heckuvan opportunity for the right woman...

Toolshed
06-11-2007, 13:33
Only check email once a week? Who does that anymore??

Tabasco
06-11-2007, 14:02
scrambles to get Mrs Tabasco lined up for this opportunity. If she's gone for 6 months, then I can go hiking too,

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-11-2007, 14:08
Female spouses will be gathering at the Gonzo abode ask husband hike the AT.

mweinstone
06-11-2007, 18:09
dear froliking dino, just got off the phone with peurto rico, or rich port as its named. spoke for a while with a nice couple of thru hikers . they dont want to be seperated and alone . so while hubby, alan, hikes in mid april for the big k, wify will be in the rain forrest north of rincon. so its not as cool as it sounds. they need 450 dollars a month from you to help pay bills in the house. so what you get is the responsibility of not leaving wify alone in woods and you get to pay 450 a month for 6 months. did i mention theres orchids and nothing for miles. nice deal. well advertized too! not. and no work to be had of any kind. i asked.

as far as their concerned, its a chance for someone to not have to pay for a hotel. but a room in pr ville goes for 500 bucks a month in the city. i checked. each of the 13 times ive visited over the course of my 30 years going to pr. if you wanna say something, say it. people are diein so you can ya know. your proposal is unclear at worst.sucky at best. still, i want to meet you folks at an event some day. you sound young and happy. talking/laughing with you was nice.

Gonzo!
07-02-2007, 09:38
If a person in the states has a house and wants to go for a hike, what do they do? They either let it sit empty or they rent it. There is no difference in Puerto Rico except that if it is left abandonded, someone will strip the wiring out of it as well as everything else. Not to mention that the weeds will grow out of control (it is a tropical country, you know, and we are in a rural setting, not in a congested and noisy city like San Juan). Here is an opportunity for someone to spend some time in a tropical paradise. If you are jealous and can't take the opportunity, fine - but let others decide for themselves. This post is not a joke. I don't know how the logistics will work at this time or how much it will actually cost you to take this opportunity, we are just investigating. We may decide to rent it without leaving the wife. We are just looking at our options. If you are interested in spending time down in Puerto Rico, give us a call. It can't be as bad as what some posters have described the place to be if they are willing to come down every year to visit. Don't know of any place where you can stay for $15 a day, specially on a tropical island. Looking for a mature person who would enjoy the extraordinary opportunity being offered. Great for a writer or someone who would like to relax in a unique environment.

Rain Man
07-02-2007, 10:26
.... they need 450 dollars a month from you to help pay bills in the house. ....

OH?! In my experience, it is the home owner who pays the house sitter, just like baby sitting or pet sitting, and not the other way around. This is mis-leading.

Perhaps it should have stated this is a rental opportunity, not a sitting opportunity?

Rain:sunMan

Appalachian Tater
07-02-2007, 11:10
Perhaps it should have stated this is a rental opportunity, not a sitting opportunity?
Rain:sunMan

Exactly. House-sitting involves caretaking, of the house or apartment, frequently of plants, sometimes of pets, never of humans.

Sometimes house-sitters are paid; sometimes, as in the case of a nice Manhattan apartment, the foregone rent is payment enough for the services. Although it is obviously not impossible for a house-sitter to pay the owner (this post is evidence of that), I have never heard of it. This "opportunity" sounds more like a room-mate is wanted (at best), or a sitter for an dependent adult female is needed (at worst) in a remote area of the beautiful island of Puerto Rico.

In this case, it does not even sound as if they own the house, but as if they will be renting it for the wife to stay in while the husband hikes.

Not stating in the original post that payment was required was deceptive and it should not have been advertised as house-sitting, especially if they are renting the house.

Lilred
07-02-2007, 11:37
Is this the same Gonzo that has the online journal, 'all in one roll?' Excellent Journal!! Hope you find the person looking for a cheap six month vacation. Good luck.

Mags
07-02-2007, 11:40
IIt can't be as bad as what some posters have described the place to be if they are willing to come down every year to visit.

Beaches, sunshine. Great food (fresh seafood!!!!). Wonderful music.

I'm surprised your mailbox has not been flooded....

oldbear
07-02-2007, 11:55
If a person in the states has a house and wants to go for a hike, what do they do? They either let it sit empty or they rent it. There is no difference in Puerto Rico except that if it is left abandonded, someone will strip the wiring out of it as well as everything else. Not to mention that the weeds will grow out of control (it is a tropical country, you know, and we are in a rural setting, not in a congested and noisy city like San Juan). Here is an opportunity for someone to spend some time in a tropical paradise. If you are jealous and can't take the opportunity, fine - but let others decide for themselves. This post is not a joke. I don't know how the logistics will work at this time or how much it will actually cost you to take this opportunity, we are just investigating. We may decide to rent it without leaving the wife. We are just looking at our options. If you are interested in spending time down in Puerto Rico, give us a call. It can't be as bad as what some posters have described the place to be if they are willing to come down every year to visit. Don't know of any place where you can stay for $15 a day, specially on a tropical island. Looking for a mature person who would enjoy the extraordinary opportunity being offered. Great for a writer or someone who would like to relax in a unique environment.
It's a simple economics problem Gonzo. If you don't pay somebody to protect the value of your assets -your wife and home-then the loss in the value of those assets becase they weren't protected will greatly exceed the price of paying somebody.
Therefore you pay somebody to protect your assets.

Lilred
07-02-2007, 13:42
We bought a house that sits right next to a bank. Now our assets near a million dollars!!!

Seriously, I wouldn't mind 6 mos in paradise if I could up and leave my home for that long, and 450 a month? Shoot, I'd be thru-hiking if I could pull all that off.

Mags
07-02-2007, 14:18
We bought a house that sits right next to a bank. Now our assets near a million dollars!!!

Seriously, I wouldn't mind 6 mos in paradise if I could up and leave my home for that long, and 450 a month? Shoot, I'd be thru-hiking if I could pull all that off.

It was only after I posted my e-mail that I noticed the 450/mo stipulation. I thought it was house sitting gig, too. More like a roomie wanted (in an admittedly cool area).

mweinstone
07-02-2007, 20:18
its not a cool area! i know pr vill. its the middle of absolutly fricking nowheresvill. way way way far away from the nearest man made object. you cant even drive a car to there door. its so so so remote that its way way way unsafe to be there. and it sucks. nothing like condato or ponce or rincon or san juan. just a big scary dark jungle full of crime.

scope
07-02-2007, 22:09
its not a cool area! i know pr vill. its the middle of absolutly fricking nowheresvill. way way way far away from the nearest man made object. you cant even drive a car to there door. its so so so remote that its way way way unsafe to be there. and it sucks. nothing like condato or ponce or rincon or san juan. just a big scary dark jungle full of crime.

MW speaks the truth. Like anywhere, most of the people are absolutely great, but its as close to anarchy as you can get. Bars on windows are standard even in the 'posh' suburb of Condado, and the traffic cops wear bullet-proof vests. There are some wonderful things about PR, but personally, I would not call it a tropical paradise by any stretch, nor do I think the food is that great. You can, however, get seafood right off a boat and that doesn't suck.

The only thing I miss about PR is the Black Angus. :D

peanuts
07-03-2007, 09:16
the only thing i miss, was suba diving and surfing at luquillo beach and yes, the fresh seafood.

Gonzo!
07-13-2007, 08:56
I apologize to anyone who thinks that I misled them with my post. I have not done much posting and obviously did not choose the correct wording for the initial post. So, with that said, you can choose to take advantage of the opportunity or not. I will either find a way to hike the trail or I will not ... no big deal.

So, if you are interested in an extended stay in Puerto Rico at our house, perhaps with my wife or perhaps alone, perhaps for a month, perhaps for six months, give us a call and we can perhaps work something out. Second hand information is generally not always reliable.