PDA

View Full Version : Airports & Hiking Sticks

Mike Bowman
06-11-2007, 12:38
I'm flying next week with my father to do 100 miles of AT in VT & MA. We're flying there this year. My dad, who is 78 yrs old, hikes with a stick, the same stick, instead of poles. Has anyone had any experience trying to carry a hiking stick on a plane? It sounds stupid, but heck, you couldn't carry on nail clippers for a while. I don't trust checking it because it's darn near an heirloom and I don't want it to break. Anyone have any insight?

Phreak
06-11-2007, 12:41
A full length stick will exceed the size limits for carry-on items. And I'd guess they'd probably classify it as a weapon if I had to wager a guess.

BlackCloud
06-11-2007, 13:45
In February i flew down to Miami to go camping @ Dry Tortugas NP. I actually carried on the center pole for my tarp. Although it extends to 10'; collapsed, it is still over 4' long.

Although everyone was looking at me, I had no problems.

Footslogger
06-11-2007, 13:50
I'm flying next week with my father to do 100 miles of AT in VT & MA. We're flying there this year. My dad, who is 78 yrs old, hikes with a stick, the same stick, instead of poles. Has anyone had any experience trying to carry a hiking stick on a plane? It sounds stupid, but heck, you couldn't carry on nail clippers for a while. I don't trust checking it because it's darn near an heirloom and I don't want it to break. Anyone have any insight?
=================================

Unless TSA has changed their own regulations lately you should be able to carry them on. You might get stopped and asked what they are ...to which the proper reponse is "HIKER ASSIST POLES". The TSA regulations forbid the carrying on of Ski Poles and some TSA reps not familiar with hiking often confuse them as such.

Last time I went through security I carried on my entire pack (Granite Gear Vapor Trail) with the trekking poles secured on the back of the pack. Went through xray and not so much as a question. That was in Denver.

'Slogger

Appalachian Tater
06-11-2007, 13:54
Walking sticks are allowed but count as a personal item:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:WseZ_jh3TE4J:www.fortsmithairport.c om/news_files/2007-2-20%2520TSA%2520prohibited%2520items.pdf+tsa.gov&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

leeki pole
06-11-2007, 15:08
carried my leki hiking staff as packed baggage in a duffel to Yosemite last year with no problems:) carry-on, hmm...:confused: that could cause problems

LostInSpace
06-11-2007, 20:32
Walking sticks are allowed but count as a personal item:

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:WseZ_jh3TE4J:www.fortsmithairport.c om/news_files/2007-2-20%2520TSA%2520prohibited%2520items.pdf+tsa.gov&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

All this still does not protect you from a suicide bomber with explosive breast implants.

Heather
06-12-2007, 00:45
On one of my first solo hiking trips in a very long time I had checked my leki poles in one of those tubular packages. Later, when I got dropped off at the trailhead I realized that they had scraped out that silver ball bearing looking thing that holds the pole up out deeming it useless. So basically they ruined a brand new hiking pole for some reason.

Tractor
06-12-2007, 08:42
Mike. Perhaps this will work: Refer to it as a walking stick or walking cane around all airline and airport personnel. Always have your dad handle it, at the airport, as if he relies on it from time to time. Let the flight crew take and stow it (not below) upon entering the cabin.

By the way, I've been in security lines when people have stated such things as "I callled the airline and they said this was OK" only to be told "We aren't the airline we are Security and WE cannot let you bring this _____".

I have also seen one thing allowed at one airport and same thing not allowed at another on a same day even.

Best of Luck regardless!