PDA

View Full Version : My next hike

Chaco Taco
06-11-2007, 23:30
I am looking at planning my next hike. Im thinking of a 8 day walk. I just did the Smokies. Im thinking of mid to late October during the tree changing time. What are the suggestions? I would like to think in terms of Ga, NC/TN, Va sections.

Tin Man
06-11-2007, 23:46
It sounds like you want to stay close to home, but when you are ready to travel and see some awesome fall folliage, you might want to try VT in early October. It is about 8 days worth of great hiking.

Chaco Taco
06-12-2007, 17:07
It sounds like you want to stay close to home, but when you are ready to travel and see some awesome fall folliage, you might want to try VT in early October. It is about 8 days worth of great hiking.

Well then I am going to look into VT. What are some good start/finish points to check out? I am willing to travel.

Tin Man
06-12-2007, 21:08
Lowspark,

Good starting/finishing points in VT depends on many factors, including how much actual trail time you will have after travel time to/from Vermont, what kind of shape you are in and how many miles per day you realistically plan to do. VT (North Adams to Hanover) has been mentioned on other forums as 8-10 days or so depending on your trail condition. I would recommend starting in North Adams, MA since it is very near the MA/VT border and go north. Killington, Woodstock, or Hanover are good end points, again depending on the other factors I mentioned.

For timing, the Folliage Network (http://www.foliagenetwork.com/reports/) is a good resource to review archived folliage reports and for actual updates in the fall.

Have fun with your planning!

Time To Fly 97
06-13-2007, 08:55
Hi Lowspark,

Vermont is beautiful. I love the section that includes Glastenbury, Killington and Stratton mountains. There are firetowers on all three and some of the best water on the trail is the Glastenbury srping (IMO). You also have Bennington, VT in between and the Inn at Long Trial in Killington if you love Guinness. You can take the Stratton ski gondola down for breakfast in Stratton Village (gondola is free for hikers) if youplan it right. THere is beautiful scenery and some challenging climbs to boot.

I highly recommend this for a week long trek.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Chaco Taco
06-15-2007, 15:21
Looks like the timing is not going to work for to go to VT for as long as I would want. Going to shoot for my Spring hike in VT.
As of now, I am going to just pick up where I left off sometime in Sept or Oct. Going to start at Standing Bear and head North. Im really excitted and hope the weather is as good as it was for me in March. I cant wait to see Max Patch. Not sure how far Im going to go. Thanks for the suggestions