PDA

View Full Version : Vernon cops kill Mama Bear

STEVEM
06-12-2007, 09:09
Check this out. Its a really big day when small town cops actually get to kill something.
http://www.njherald.com/secure_story/289072614211546.php

Appalachian Tater
06-12-2007, 12:44
Strange. One would think that bears were part of the package if you live next to a state park in NJ. I am also surprised that they would kill a bear that had been treed by a dog--obviously it was trying to get away, not acting aggressively.

KD4QOY
06-12-2007, 21:38
what did they do w/ the cubs ? can they survive w/o mama ? :-?

STEVEM
06-13-2007, 15:07
The Vernon cops kill another mama bear. At this rate, the town will have to invest in another box of bullets.

I'm certain that the good parents of Vernon are sleeping better knowing how much safer their crildren are.

http://www.njherald.com/secure_story/320413229423749.php

Carbo
06-13-2007, 15:56
Strange. One would think that bears were part of the package if you live next to a state park in NJ.
AT the DWG there is better than a 50-50 chance you will see a bear within 20 min of the parking area.

Appalachian Tater
06-13-2007, 17:12
Actually, I saw one at the first campsite that you pass headed north and then and two more before I got to that beautiful lake.

Lone Wolf
06-13-2007, 17:14
need to send Nugent and friends in there to whack em' and stack em'

STEVEM
06-13-2007, 19:58
need to send Nugent and friends in there to whack em' and stack em'

At least Ted uses what he harvests from the wild. I doubt that he would kill an animal simply to satisfy a big mouth suburban soccer mom.

Lone Wolf
06-13-2007, 20:47
At least Ted uses what he harvests from the wild. I doubt that he would kill an animal simply to satisfy a big mouth suburban soccer mom.

you're totally correct there

Nightwalker
06-13-2007, 21:26

But he might thwack the big-mouth soccer mom to protect a protected animal. :D

Carbo
06-14-2007, 08:18
Two weeks ago I was heading south of Sunfish Pond. In this area you need to constantly look down to watch your footing on the rocks. I nearly walked into, within 15', of a big black bear blocking the path in front. After my heart started beating again, I realized he wasn't even mildly interested in me. I guess unless you really provoke them they usually leave you alone.

STEVEM
07-19-2007, 18:49
Here's a creative way to get yourself in trouble.

http://www.strausnews.com/articles/2007/07/19/advertiser_news/news/5.txt

Jim Adams
07-19-2007, 19:17
I think that these people need to move!!! Leave the bears alone. They live in a bear area. If their garbage was stored correctly, they probably wouldn't have this problem. I'll bet that they also hate hunting.

geek

STEVEM
07-19-2007, 20:48
The area where all these bear issues are taking place is between Route 94 and the Waywayanda Shelter. Lake Wanda is probably less than a mile off the AT. I can't believe that we actually have a "Police Piss Posse" on duty here in NJ. I hope homeland security money isn't financing these midnight stakeouts.

Appalachian Tater
07-19-2007, 20:53
I have to admit I'm rooting for the guy who's trying to protect the bears.

MOWGLI
07-21-2007, 20:58
I lived less than 5 miles from where all this is going on from 88-01. While home in 2000 during my thru-hike, my neighbor came over to ask if I'd seen the 500 pound bear on my lawn that morning. I hadn't, but wished I had.

Yahtzee
07-21-2007, 22:33
AT the DWG there is better than a 50-50 chance you will see a bear within 20 min of the parking area.

My first bear sighting ever was within 20 FEET of the Church of the Mountain Hostel. Right there in the trees on across from the hostel. Not back by the shelter but right out the front door! I snuck up in the trees a bit so you couldn't see the macadam and took a pic. Ended up looking like a great nature shot of a bear.

That was the same year, 97, that Optimist, while camping at Sunfish Pond had a bear come in his tent and steal his pack while he was sleeping. All that was left was a fuel bottle with two big teeth marks in it tacked to the wall at the DWG hostel (he had to come back) as a warning to all hikers not to stay at Sunfish Pond.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
07-22-2007, 14:18
That was the same year, 97, that Optimist, while camping at Sunfish Pond had a bear come in his tent and steal his pack while he was sleeping. All that was left was a fuel bottle with two big teeth marks in it tacked to the wall at the DWG hostel (he had to come back) as a warning to all hikers not to stay at Sunfish Pond.

I spent a couple of days tenting at Worthington State Forest that same Summer of 1997. Awakened by a Park Ranger yelling to me not to come out of my tent and the sound of cherry bombs going off! When the all clear was sounded, I popped my head out the tent flap and was told a 500 pound (estimated) male was wandering through the campsite.
When I got up the next morning, there were muddy claw marks on that tent flap! My food was stored inside the trunk of my car, and I had never taken any food inside that tent, so all we could think was that the bear was looking for shelter to get away from the people.
There were also two 20-something women tenting across the field from me. In broad daylight, that bear walked into the campsite and trashed their tent and food supplies before any of the Park's personnel could get there to chase him.
Several days later, as I was driving home, I passed an open trash can just north of the State Forest on Old Mine Road. What looked like the same male was within twenty feet of the road, rooting through all the weekend trash. I managed to get several photos to remind myself of a "fun" week.

For those not familiar with that area, Sunfish Pond, on the AT, is only a mile or so from this campsite.

Uncle Silly
07-22-2007, 15:13
Two weeks ago I was heading south of Sunfish Pond. In this area you need to constantly look down to watch your footing on the rocks. I nearly walked into, within 15', of a big black bear blocking the path in front. After my heart started beating again, I realized he wasn't even mildly interested in me. I guess unless you really provoke them they usually leave you alone.

Too many blueberry bushes up by Sunfish Pond. Guaranteed they're tastier than you are. :)