PDA

View Full Version : AT 10 commandments...

Time To Fly 97
06-12-2007, 12:40
I remember there were several hiker "rules" like:

Hike your own hike
Listen to your body
Take small steps
Take more pictures of people...
What are some of the others that you recall?

Happy hiking!

TTF

Lone Wolf
06-12-2007, 12:59

Hike your own hike
Listen to your body
Take small steps
Take more pictures of people...

5. Avoid all shelters
6. Sleep with your food
7. Don't treat or filter your water
8. Don't use trekking poles
9. Walk all blue-blaze trails
10. Ford the Kennebec river

Ender
06-12-2007, 13:07
Troublemaker :p

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-12-2007, 13:16
::: tucks LW under tail next to Shades of Gary :::

Time To Fly 97
06-12-2007, 13:28

Gotta ford the Kennebec. : )

TTF

leeki pole
06-12-2007, 14:27
10a) Listen to L. Wolf:)

Johnny Thunder
06-12-2007, 14:37
11. Never get hikers wet or feed them after midnight.

emerald
06-12-2007, 15:23
5. Avoid all shelters
6. Sleep with your food
7. Don't treat or filter your water
8. Don't use trekking poles
9. Walk all blue-blaze trails

Wolf, I have no idea who this Shades of Gary guy you're sheltering up with might be. I'd be careful.

If it were me, we'd get along fine. We might scrap about the last one some, but we'd find plenty else to talk about.

By the way, I have less of an issue with people who would get rid of shelters altogether, than those who want them to themselves so they can put picnic tables under them and tent next to them. I dislike people who can't maintain a consistent position. Your position on shelters, even if I can't agree with tearing them down, is at least consistent. I respect that.;)

While I like maybe every now and again waffles with pure (real) maple syrup, I don't have much use for people who waffle. I might add I have nothing against hippopotamuses (or is that hippopotami), but hypocrites suck.:D

MOWGLI
06-12-2007, 15:30
Thou shalt not cut switchbacks.
Thou shalt be friendly to locals along the trail.
Thou shalt not get intoxicated in trail towns.
Thou shalt volunteer when opportunities present themselves along the trail.
Thou shalt join and support the ATC.
Thou shalt not leave trash or literature in shelters.
Thou shalt honor the honor system at all hostels.
Thou shalt learn and use LNT practices.

Big Oz
06-12-2007, 15:44

Hike your own hike
Listen to your body
Take small steps
Take more pictures of people...What are some of the others that you recall?

Happy hiking!

TTFThou Shall Not Pay Any Attention To Wingfoot:dance and those who do :datz :datz darn :D

RockStar
06-12-2007, 17:18
11. Never get hikers wet or feed them after midnight.

:eek: lmao :p

ShakeyLeggs
06-12-2007, 18:12
Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but pictures.

emerald
06-12-2007, 18:43
I have a BMECC sign given to me by a club member now departed probably from the 1970s which includes a variant of your sentence. Signs like it may have been hung in shelters during that era. There were club t-shirts with it then too.

I always liked that line. Don't see it much anymore.

1n the Sun
06-12-2007, 19:29
unfiltered water?

eeeeeeeemmmm

can we say trail trots?

okay, everything else i can abid by, but water has to be clean...

no beaver fever for me, thank you

Lone Wolf
06-12-2007, 19:31
unfiltered water?

i've been drinking unfiltered/untreated water for 21 years between georgia and maine. never been sick. you read too many outdoor rags

1n the Sun
06-12-2007, 19:36
maybe I've jsut driven too many sick hikers into the hospital due to dehydration from trail trots maybe from trial water, maybe from drinking water from the taps of these little local grocery stores. Shallow wells may be more dangerous than a clear mountain spring. and hey...Guardia and other natural microbes that make you poop your britches are alive and happy along the blue ridge...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-12-2007, 21:41
:::: Legally changes Shades of Gray's name to Shades of Gary :::

Mags
06-13-2007, 11:16
maybe I've jsut driven too many sick hikers into the hospital due to dehydration from trail trots maybe from trial water,

Most GI illnesses come from poor hygeine and not bad water. Has been discussed ad infinitum. Basically, hand washing is more important than water treatment. Amazing how few people do that in the backcountry.

(Rarely treat my water for what it is worth on the trails I've hiked FWIW)

Mags
06-13-2007, 11:19
By the way, I have less of an issue with people who would get rid of shelters altogether, than those who want them to themselves so they can put picnic tables under them and tent next to them.

I call bullhickey.

Not to rehash what was already said, but basically the above scenario is easier and less expensive to build and maintain. Still concetrates camping for lower impact on the trail. Heck, get rid of the picnic shelter. As long as there are harderned tent sites and a privy, mission is accomplished. Blah. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Is there a correlation between people who do trail work advocating simpler shelters vs. people who don't? :)

Anyway, perhaps we should continue this on the shelter thread?

Moon Monster
06-13-2007, 11:36
Has been discussed ad infinitum.

Yes. Dozens of threads already here on the debate between experience and ad copy.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-13-2007, 11:41
!n the Sun, afraid I'll have to agree with LW on this one (the fabric of the universe must be wrinkled today :D). I rarely treat water - only when I know civilization or cattle are nearby and I have never been sick after hiking for decades. Dirty hands are far more likely to make hikers sick. Alcohol gel is my best friend on the trail (well, except for that cute male dino that keeps following me around :D)

saimyoji
06-13-2007, 12:50
Has been discussed ad infinitum.

Ad nauseum. ;)

Mags
06-13-2007, 13:09
Ad nauseum. ;)

A yup. Need some of this for topics at times.... :)

pokeyhontas98
06-13-2007, 15:26
i've been drinking unfiltered/untreated water for 21 years between georgia and maine. never been sick. you read too many outdoor rags
It is possible to acquire a humoral immunity to Giardia and other parasitic protozoans etc. However, I wouldn't want to take the risk on a thru.

Todd Heyn
06-13-2007, 17:48
I have a BMECC sign given to me by a club member now departed probably from the 1970s which includes a variant of your sentence. Signs like it may have been hung in shelters during that era. There were club t-shirts with it then too.

I always liked that line. Don't see it much anymore.

I have no idea what "BMECC" stands for. Care to enlighten me?

MOWGLI
06-13-2007, 18:04
Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club

woodsy
06-13-2007, 19:06

There you go again, encouraging people who may not know the UPS and Downs of the river to ford it. Hope you are willing to take responsibility for their mishaps when things don't go as planned......sunami wave. This advice is simply irresponsible on your part.

spittinpigeon
06-13-2007, 19:16
Ad nauseum. ;)
Ad nauseam;)

warren doyle
06-13-2007, 20:06
...and we were supposed to be taken over by the communists if South Vietnam fell.
...and the world was going to collapse at midnight on 1/1/2000
...and there were WMD in Iraq
...and what about that bird flu and killer bees?

Fording the Kennebec under the right conditions and with proper precautions is not hazardous.

Dances with Mice
06-13-2007, 20:38
xx. Thou shalt denigrate others' hikes.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-13-2007, 20:42
10. Thou shalt frolick down the trail at thine own pace and stop to smellth the roses.

smokymtnsteve
06-13-2007, 20:45
There you go again, encouraging people who may not know the UPS and Downs of the river to ford it. Hope you are willing to take responsibility for their mishaps when things don't go as planned......sunami wave. This advice is simply irresponsible on your part.

PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY!

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to set off on their own, and no obstacles should be placed in their path; let them take risks, for godsake, let them get lost, sunburnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches - that is the right and privilege of any free American."

"The rebel is doomed to a violent death. The rest of YOU can look forward to sedated expiration in a coma inside an oxygen tent, with tubes inserted in every bodily orifice."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

Nightwalker
06-13-2007, 21:30
(Rarely treat my water for what it is worth on the trails I've hiked FWIW)

Same here, though I've probably not hiked as many miles as Mags. I've never gotten the trots on the trail, however.

"Wild water," as my wife calls it, just tastes better. I do, occasionally, put two drops of extra-strength Clorox in a liter of water if it comes from a slow seep or a salamander pool (I'm just a chicken like that). But if the water's moving good? Nah.

Rule one: Purell yer hands after poop and before food and you won't get sick. Ill is another question. :)

smokymtnsteve
06-13-2007, 21:31
10. Thou shalt frolick down the trail at thine own pace and stop to smellth the roses.

HYOH.......;)

Nightwalker
06-13-2007, 21:36
HYOH.......;)

As long as it agrees with MY own hike, go ahead. This, my friend, seems to be most people's version of HYOH.

Nightwalker
06-13-2007, 21:48
I have waterwings.

They make extremely light, comfy pillows. Take a pair, cut the bands and put them in your tent bag at night. They have seriously improved my sleep quality.

Somehow, though, I'm guessing that's not what you were talking about.

Time To Fly 97
06-14-2007, 09:28
My ford of the Kennebec wasn't graceful and completely lacked finesse... it was cold, the current always seemed to push me a little off balance on the slippery rocks, my lekis would sometimes drift forward too far forcing me to correct while sliding around... and in the middle it seemed like it was getting pretty deep. I remember thinking that if I went down it would be a hard swim to catch up to my pack. I also remember the one non-slippery rock out in themiddle the Kennebec gave me so I could take a look around and remember.

Exchanging that knowing smile with my hiking brothers as I walked up the opposite bank in the bright sun was priceless.

Happy hiking!

TTF