PDA

View Full Version : Rain Jacket

austinlowes17
06-12-2007, 15:18
I can't decide which rain jacket to get. I'm in a toss up between the North Face Diad Jacket and Marmot's Precip Jacket. Has anyone had any good / bad experiences with either of these?

Johnny Thunder
06-12-2007, 15:22
I can't decide which rain jacket to get. I'm in a toss up between the North Face Diad Jacket and Marmot's Precip Jacket. Has anyone had any good / bad experiences with either of these?

So far I'm happy with the DIAD. Light, easy. Not so breathable as you might believe. It does fit a little snug compared to some of my other TNF clothing so pay attention to the size.

Johnny

Kerosene
06-12-2007, 15:40
I'd get an Integral Designs jacket (http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=840&CFID=9047409&CFTOKEN=68400933&mainproducttypeid=1) if money was no object. e-Vent provides the best breathability across a wide spectrum of conditions. Alternatively, check out The Packa (http://www.thepacka.com/), which provides a nice combination of coverage and options at a lower price (but still not as low as the basic stuff out there).

gravityman
06-12-2007, 17:13
We had the Integral Designs eVent jacket on our 2005 thru. After about 1000 miles both our jackets seemed to leak. ID replaced them, and then in Maine again they seemed to leak. Decided that Gortex was the way to go. My wife got the ultra expensive Montbell Torrent Flyer, the lightest weight Gortex XCR jacket on the market. We've gone through a lot of jackets, and we hope this is the one!

PS. The Precip is more like a plastic shell than a breathable jacket. The breathability of those polyurathean membranes is very low. Backpackinglight has a great (but subscrition based) article that does a great job of explaining the differences.

Gravity and Danger
GA-ME 2005

got milf?
06-12-2007, 21:06
The Precip is a great jacket except that its water resistance wears out pretty quickly.

greentick
06-16-2007, 02:57
I like the precip because of cost (~$50 on sale), venting options (front, pits, pockets - all vent), pretty low weight (14oz for xl), and a variety of cool colors (I like cedar).

In cold weather I use it as a wind shell over a silkweight long sleeve. I can maintain comfort by adjusting the different zips.

If it is warm and rainy I drape it over my pack as a pack cover. I don't thing any of the breathable jackets will work well in warm weather while hiking.

smokymtnsteve
06-16-2007, 03:36
I like the precip because of cost (~$50 on sale), venting options (front, pits, pockets - all vent), pretty low weight (14oz for xl), and a variety of cool colors (I like cedar).

In cold weather I use it as a wind shell over a silkweight long sleeve. I can maintain comfort by adjusting the different zips.

If it is warm and rainy I drape it over my pack as a pack cover. I don't thing any of the breathable jackets will work well in warm weather while hiking.

exactly correct...why would you even wear a rain jacket in warm weather?

Jimmers
06-17-2007, 13:30
exactly correct...why would you even wear a rain jacket in warm weather?

Personal preference I guess. Some people get cold fast in a rainstorm, even in the summer. They're great during an all day soaker. My Precip works great as a windbreaker too, so it's dual use. And the pit zips really do help cool you down a little, but you're going to get wet no matter what, either sweat or rain.

superman
06-17-2007, 18:10
Early in my hike when we had some cold rains I was border line hypothermic because I couldn't get the right combination of fleece and my rain jacket. I was always too hot or too cold. During the summer months I never wore my rain jacket. At most I tide the hood on my head and flung the jacket part over my pack. Later in my hike I only used my rain coat as a wind block. I didn't need the fleece because I generated plenty of heat. I only used my fleece in camp. I've never had any rain jacket that would breathe enough for me.

Kerosene
06-17-2007, 18:59
Caution...don't think that you'll be able to walk through a big T-storm up north without a rain jacket. I nearly froze to death in July in central Vermont, and at least I was wearing a poncho at the time. The rain must have started somewhere up in the Stratosphere and was still cold, cold, cold when it hit my exposed arms.

cornflake
06-18-2007, 06:38
The attached is a journal entry from Boat Drinks where he goes off on Marmot. He was so PO'd about his jacket that he actually wore a sign on his back trashing the company. The entry below is, of coarse, just one day's. Throughout the rest of the journal, he disses them every chance he gets. Funny stuff . . .

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=176049

Johnny Swank
06-18-2007, 08:23
I've given up on waterproof-breathables unless it's well below freezing. Making silnylon rainjackets for us, as we'd rather just ventilate/stew in our own juices in jackets that way 25% as much as the jackets we've worn in the past. My windshirt and full rainsuit still weigh less than my old Precip, and this combo is far more versatle for 3 season use.

dtimko
06-22-2007, 09:05
I just bought the Diad on sale at REI - $144 I belive. I like how light it is, haven't tested it out yet.

Did have an epiphany on the trail last weekend. With as much as I sweat, I don't know what I'm trying to keep dry, thats for sure.

Johnny Swank
06-22-2007, 09:14
Grasshopper- you are now learning the way of raingear. Staying dry is a fallicy in many conditions, but you can always stay warm if you're on your game. It might be light being in a sauna, but it'll be warm.

Lyle
06-22-2007, 09:33
Frog Toggs or similar.