PDA

View Full Version : does trash suck or what?

mweinstone
06-12-2007, 15:52
what we can do now for the trail. can hikers pledge to be better? can we drop less trash? pollute less water? cut less roundabouts? hike and camp with more respect for others? can we leave a better impression in trail towns? poop in a cat hole? anyone? or is the condition of the trail deteriorating because we dont keep our brothers and teach enough to newbees? dont you see whats happening? the trails being used not enjoyed and loved and cared for. at the present rate of above ground toilet paper dispersal. by nessesity, the trails greenway will have been completly covered with tp by the year 2023.and this figure dosnt account for the possibility of ms thruhiking drunk and not being the consumate catholer hes famouse in 14 states for being!
with no new ini****ives to make minnimum impact the rule, doom!
with no ability to use spellcheck, same. who will take a pledge if we make one? who will sew a pleadge patch on their pack that says they dont leave traces? i would. and a , hows my hiking eight hundred number to report trashers right on the patch,...like truckers have.and an id number to use.

mweinstone
06-12-2007, 15:53
sensitive filter. im spelling as best i can.

Frosty
06-12-2007, 16:16
Hey, Dude, Pack out your trash
Take this shelter, and make it better
Remember to pack out all of your junk
Then you can say you've made it better.

Hey Dude, Pack out your trash.
LEAVE NO TRACE is the code you live by
The minute you pack out what you pack in,
Then you begin to make it better.

And anytime you feel the pain, hey Dude, refrain
You carry your world upon your shoulders
For well you know that it's a punk who leaves his junk
So making his world a little colder
Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah

Hey Dude, don't let me down
I have found trash, I hope it's not yours
Remember to take it out to the road
Then you can start to make it better.

So let's pack out what you pack in, hey Dude, begin
You're waiting for someone to perform with
But don't you know that it's just you, hey Dude, you'll do
The trashbag you need is on your shoulder
Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah yeah

Hey Dude, don't make it bad
Take a shelter and make it better
Remember to pack out what you pack in
Then you'll begin to make it
Better better better better better better, oh

Nah nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah, hey Jude
Nah nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah, hey Jude (fade out)

Lone Wolf
06-12-2007, 16:16
get rid of all shelters. there will be much less trash

emerald
06-12-2007, 16:20
:-? I see you're talking sense again today. We all have bad days.;)

You know, you can hang out at that picnic shelter up there in coal country anytime you want, so long as you don't annoy the people who provide it. I don't care how many secret places you have. I have many of my own.

Please just be careful what you say about The Green Diamond, okay? I was born and raised here. I might need to have at you again, you know.:D

Wonder
06-12-2007, 16:27
yup.....trash sucks.

emerald
06-12-2007, 16:29

1-finger, you out-gunned me again with your rapid-fire, quick-posts!:p Now, I'll have none of this non-sense again tonight!:mad:

No, you dumb-ass. The problem is not the shelters. It's the people who lack a proper search image for a trash can.

People like that should not be fed or permitted on the A.T. Evolution would take care of that soon enough.

Nor should those who are too lazy or out of shape to carry it to a trash can be permitted on the A.T.;) It's a lack of standards, we need to raise the minimums. Maybe people need to take a test before being allowed to hike on the A.T.:D

Lone Wolf
06-12-2007, 16:31
No, you dumb-ass. The problem is not the shelters. It's the people who lack a proper search image for a trash can.

whatever you say schlong-breath

emerald
06-12-2007, 16:36
Very creative, o grate one!

ImkerVS
06-12-2007, 16:45
The closer to "civilization" the more trash.

There are exceptions though. Damascus hosts the intense 3 day party called Trail Days. For an intense 3 day blow out, I didn't see much trash on the ground, did you? Some. But nothing compared to the average 3 day party's. Most 3 day parties can make it look like it was a trash blizzard.

soulrebel
06-12-2007, 18:37
Was out for a few days last weekend when a ridgerunner, said Happy National Trails Day!!

Ah--very cool--forgot about that. Actually went above and beyond my normal picking up a few pieces of litter on this weekend's hike. Met a "new" backpacker who hiked with us a couple of days and he helped us pick up and carry it out...

Cleaned up Cowrock--2 comforters, 3 grocery bags of trash, removed 50 foot of line tied high up in a tree...

dismantled a few of those scabbed up fire-rings that tha GA firebug was lighting at every rest stop directly on the trail...

Also dismantled or moved back to the original location--- a few fire rings in some of the smaller non-designated sites.

Removed a lot of broken glass and various metal crap out of the pit in the process--as well

Fires are great--but it's damn dumb to move a fire pit 2 feet to the left and scab up the earth needlessly.

--just a few ways that folks can get dirty by keeping it clean...carry a couple of extra grocery bags---you can make a difference too---don't forget the beer for afterwards---cheers

1n the Sun
06-12-2007, 19:18
Not only do we pick up every little bit of plastic and waste our dayhiking may produce, but we also pack out whatever we may find that is safe to handle...

Sorry, I don't pack out other's broken bottles or condoms,
though I may kick it into the fire pit,
especially those slimy used bits of latex...ewwwwwwwwwwwww
I try to do that before the kiddOs notice them..Yuck!

K

Lone Wolf
06-12-2007, 19:24
i never ever pick up trash within a 150 yard radius of a shelter.

1n the Sun
06-12-2007, 19:26
come to giles county and pack out some broken beer bottles with me next weekend...UGH

FanaticFringer
06-12-2007, 20:59
i never ever pick up trash within a 150 yard radius of a shelter.

So just where do you meet those chicks?:p

mweinstone
06-12-2007, 21:07
you two are good but lonewolfs the king of retort in three words or less. undesputed king. dont waste his time. all you can achieve is that lonewolf will have us rolling on the floor at you sog and otherchick too.then dino will have to call time . time of death by laughter.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-12-2007, 21:46
::: Dino has done her part to rid trail of trash by tucking LW and Shades of Gray under tail :::

:D

Uncle Silly
06-12-2007, 22:17
so everyone go look in on their local maintaining club and ask if there's a cleanup workday scheduled. if so, attend and help out. if not, offer to organize one.

i'm all for no trash. and sure, it's an icky, thankless job that's not for everyone. but i'm willing to put in some elbow grease. doubly so if you, dear Reader, are too.

[i'm all for spelling, too. matty, is yours that bad naturally? or did it take practice? :D]

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-12-2007, 22:21
Seriously, we usually pack out any trash we find on dayhikes - I carry a trash bag just for this purpose. I've been part of maintaining trails in the past -- it is a thankless job.

smokymtnsteve
06-12-2007, 22:32
PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY!

"Nature, like Miamonides said, is mainly a good place to throw beer cans on Sunday afternoons."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

smokymtnsteve
06-12-2007, 22:34
PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY!

"Daddy, the garbage man is here!

Tell him we don't need any."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

mweinstone
06-12-2007, 22:51
ive gotten thanks. trashing is thanklittle not thankless. and i dont know why i cant spell silly . i dont really wanna find out its some deseice or anything so i block it out with hiking. hiking requires no spelling .

smokymtnsteve
06-12-2007, 22:54
hiking requires no spelling .

hikin requires no spellin

Mags
06-13-2007, 11:11
i'm all for no trash. and sure, it's an icky, thankless job that's not for everyone. but i'm willing to put in some elbow grease. doubly so if you, dear Reader, are too.
]

Most peopel prefer kvetching to doing something. Applies to people in the outdoor group I belong ("I wish there were more easy hiking trips" Have you thought of organizing a trip? "Er..um..ah..I'm busy").

It applies to long distance hikers as well. I have heard hikers complain about the trails..but when asked what they do to help out they do a back pedal.

If every person who does a backpacktrip trip pitched in once a year with any trail or outdoor org, it would make a huge difference.

Get off your *ss and pitch in. :)

Ender
06-13-2007, 13:28
Embrace the trash. Trash is beautiful. I say we litter more so there's more trash...

mweinstone
06-22-2007, 22:56
a landfill is seperated into a palat of colors useing an army of suited workers makeing piles of pink, blue , red etc. the artist directs the artwork and photographs and vidios are made frome the air.
this has long been one of my intended peices when im picosso. maby next week sometime.

the message is muddled. i belive this peice speaks of how we are muddled in our every perception. we see the beautiful flowers as ugly when its made from trash. or,
trash is like our waste. we dont want to see it in any form. even a recycled container for soda is like a second hand citizen.
to sum up, energy cannot be created or destroyed. but we sure are good at makeing it bad.

by far my best trash haveing to do with, art project is my gum sander.its a machine so fun, so weird, every city in america with sidewalk gum problems will have one. it turnes old grey and black gum stains into beautiful sweet smelling color drops . workers armed with the pogosticklike devise simply plop and sand plop and sand. and soon they have what was a nasty corner turned into a rainbow. a small spritz of cannuba wax is aplyed when the machine cycles from sanding to finish buffing.

Dr O
06-23-2007, 02:51

Given the choice between slobs trashing the shelter, and slobs trashing the trail, I'll choose the former. :)