PDA

View Full Version : Hike a mile for me please!

jimtanker
06-12-2007, 16:50
Afghanistan sucks.

I am at 4800'ASL and everything is up from here. All around me are the foothills of the Himilayas and I cant go hiking. Or more accurately I dont want to go hiking when there are 40 land mines per square mile in this country, among the other dangers. There is an 8 mile perimiter road around this base that I hike at least once most weeks.

Be happy that you can hike when and where you want.

Hike a mile for me this month.

Mother Nature
06-12-2007, 19:07
I will be glad to walk a mile for you. Consider it done. Thank you for your sacrifice. It is appreciated.

Hope you are home SOON where the only land mines you have to dodge are organic cowpies.

Mother Nature (also a Military Mom with a son in Iraq)

mudhead
06-12-2007, 19:14
Done, and done.

I will also cheerfully stand tall on a large rock and take a whiz in your honor.

1n the Sun
06-12-2007, 19:20
will think of you on our next day hike...and all those poor kids who won't know about the joys of outdoor adventure because landmines will keep them off the moutnain sides for generation to come...

what are we doing to this beautiful place called earth anyway?

K

hammock engineer
06-12-2007, 23:16
I'll hike my first mile SOBO at the end of the month for you.

mweinstone
06-12-2007, 23:26
i will pray for us all. especially soldiers.

jimtanker
06-13-2007, 07:26
Mother Nature - not going to be too soon. I have 308 days left.

mudhead - you sound like you were a tanker in a previous life.

1n the Sun - yes it is sad. alot of these kids dont even have shoes.

HE - more than I could ask for.

mweinstone - thank you.

Trillium
06-13-2007, 07:36
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your service!!!

I have been praying for Mother Nature's son everyday for the past 3 months and try to pray for all service personnel daily. I will add you specifically to my prayers.

And I will definitely walk a mile for you. but it will be in Michigan, hopefully in the woods near Lake Michigan. then down to the beach. :sun

TJ aka Teej
06-13-2007, 07:49
There is an 8 mile perimiter road around this base that I hike at least once most weeks.
And without any trail magic..
Stay safe, get your butt back here as soon as possible, Jim.

peanuts
06-13-2007, 09:01
stay safe, thanks for serving, and like lone wolf said, go get 'em...

leeki pole
06-13-2007, 09:54
you got it, Jim, thanks for your service to our country. i got a buddy over there too, on a carrier, and he's probably making like a hornet over you as we speak, if you know what i mean...stay safe, come home soon:)

kap
07-17-2007, 02:44
Im heading up Mt Washington later this month and will say a prayer for you and all the others in harms way at the top.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-17-2007, 05:06
Jim, this dino started praying for you as you left for Afghanistan and still doing so. I will gladly hike my next mile in your honor. Unfortunately, my next mile will likely be across the University of Birmingham's medical complex (my mother's all day appointments for Parkinson's and Alzheimer's studies on opposite ends of the complex) so I'll hike along Hammock Beach (http://www.ils.unc.edu/parkproject/visit/habe/home.html) and camp behind a sand dune later in your honor.

Thank you for being willing to serve. My grandson-in-law will be going in November - his third tour. Prayers for him, my granddaughter and my great-granddaughter would be appreciated.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-17-2007, 06:12
Afghanistan sucks.

I am at 4800'ASL and everything is up from here. All around me are the foothills of the Himilayas and I cant go hiking. Or more accurately I dont want to go hiking when there are 40 land mines per square mile in this country, among the other dangers. There is an 8 mile perimiter road around this base that I hike at least once most weeks.

Be happy that you can hike when and where you want.

Some may envy you because you can hike with a belt fed weapon.

ms doolittle
07-17-2007, 06:52
You got it Jim. I'll be glad to. :)

Stay safe and hope you get to come home soon.

A friend who is currently on the AT has a brother over there right now. Hope he gets to come home real soon as well.

Quoddy
07-17-2007, 07:03
As a retired military guy, I'd be proud to make my first mile SOBO on the Long Trail end-to-ender beginning July 31st for you.

Krewzer
07-17-2007, 07:34
Afghanistan sucks.

You've asked little. It'll be a pleasure to walk one for you.

Anything else? How about another one in the morning? In the forest, by the sea, down a city street? You name it. How about a trip report on JimTanker's mile?

Anybody else over there need a mile?

Check you later.

Pedalsndirt
07-17-2007, 07:59
I am doing a small section this weekend of the Buckeye trail in N.E. Ohio for ya!

Tankerhoosen
07-17-2007, 19:50
Walked two miles for you today, stay safe over there, let me know if you need anything, I'll send a care package right away. Thanks for what you are doing.,

He-dino
07-17-2007, 20:00
I walked two miles for you today. God bless you for being willing to go.

buckowens
07-17-2007, 21:41
Like everyone else-- thanks.

I work full time for a National Guard Homeland Defense Unit and will be happy to scrounge anything you might need (within reason..., I know how you tankers are:D ...) Send me a PM or email and I will work it.

I did 7 months in Kosovo and walked the 7 mile perimeter each morning to feel human. Must be what it's like to be in prison...

Good luck and be safe.