PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Mail

Passionphish
06-12-2007, 22:47
Anybody use it? Using it? Whats the good and bad? what's the weight? I use T-Mobile. Any issues?

Sound off! whats up with it?

BrianLe
06-12-2007, 23:56
I don't use it, though I understand that a lot of folks do. I looked into it but it just struck me as too limited --- frustrating for me to carry a device of that weight that has computing power yet offers such a limited suite of functionality. The standard unit is 8.2 oz.

(A lot) more expensive, but I'm going for an all-in-one type of device (camera, phone, GPS, MP3, PDA). I don't use a cell phone much so I'm getting a "pay as you go" plan, then will pay to add data (internet, email) just for the months that I'm on the PCT next year.
The unit I'm getting is 5.8 oz, but to be fair, I'll likely have to get a solar charger too (or multiple spare batteries to then recharge in town).

If all you want is email and the weight is acceptable, the price is certainly right for pocket mail.

Phreak
06-13-2007, 07:07
I've been using my Pocketmail since February and I think it's a good value for the money. The download/upload speed is the main downside - slow and outdated technology.

Chef2000
06-13-2007, 08:17
I have used it for three years and for 180 bucks a year it does the job, however I will be switching to I Phone sometime in July, the experts say that 599 price will not hold long, some sites allow you to reserve one for 300 dollars. Only drawback is ATT is slowest cellular network out there, but real interenet on the trail is to hard to pass up. I know lots a folks will be disgusted with that, but do not worry I will not use around you.

Johnny Swank
06-13-2007, 10:35
We used one on the Mississippi River with good results. I do wish that there was a spellchecker on the thing though.

If I were to do another long trip, I'd probably take a PDA and foldng keyboard with wifi. I write a newspaper column and a bunch of other things, and hack out probably 90% of my rough drafts with an old Palm Pilot and folding keyboard. Being able to toss in a SD card from a camera to send pics would be a great addition as well.

Footslogger
06-13-2007, 10:51
I own one but have never activated service.

Anyone interested in a good deal on a Pocketmail Composer shoot me an e-mail or PM

'Slogger

budforester
06-13-2007, 10:54
I've been wondering about this thing called a Switchback... anybody using it? It weighs a few ounces, has qwerty keyboard; it's a phone, so email/text messages are direct- send over the cell network:

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/phones/phoneDetail.do?skuId=VMK612

Footslogger
06-13-2007, 10:58
I've been wondering about this thing called a Switchback... anybody using it? It weighs a few ounces, has qwerty keyboard; it's a phone, so email/text messages are direct- send over the cell network:

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/phones/phoneDetail.do?skuId=VMK612

=========================================

Not a bad looking little package. Overall cost might be factor (purchase and monthly charges) and then of course there is always the reception issue. But I do sense that we are headed in that direction in terms of text communication among some hikers.

'Slogger