PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good 2007 trail journal

burger
06-13-2007, 15:19
The title sums it up...does anyone have any suggestions for some good 2007 AT trail journals to read? I usually read one or two a year, but I haven't found any that seemed particularly good this year. Any suggestions???? Thanks.

wilconow
06-13-2007, 15:38
The title sums it up...does anyone have any suggestions for some good 2007 AT trail journals to read? I usually read one or two a year, but I haven't found any that seemed particularly good this year. Any suggestions???? Thanks.

uncle tom. clear, concise writing, but not just "The weather was cloudy, I met.., I slept __" . seems like a really nice guy. good music taste as well.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-13-2007, 15:41
There is one by GatorGump that is hilarious. Don't go there if easily offended.

rhjanes
06-13-2007, 16:01
There is one by Gator Gump that is hilarious. Don't go there if easily offended.

word. his "harpers Fairy" write up...... snort...wipes tear....

QHShowoman
06-13-2007, 16:39
"Certain" has a pretty good journal -- she even has dozens of entries about her thru-hike prep, so it's really interesting to read.

caro
06-13-2007, 17:42
Really appreciate this post, because I haven't found any that really keep me involved. Does anybody know of a family unit on Trail Journals?

hammock engineer
06-13-2007, 17:51
I have kept up with Certain, posts as Michele here. They are pretty entertaining. Just be warned she talks about her hammock. A lot.

I camped close to Uncle Tom at TD. Nice guy, I really haven't read much of his TJ though.

Trillium
06-13-2007, 19:09
I have been reading and enjoying:
Certain
Persistent
Hobbit (although he made the choice to leave the trail last week due to injury
Mr. Ed
Ant, Slick Shoes & Whateva

I have also been reading gatorgump. Read only if you enjoy middle school boy humor and crude comments; although we already knew of his crudity after his initial pics. although his pics w/ the captions of "sometimes the trail is . . ." and "sometimes the trail is . . ." showing all the different sides of the trail are worthwhile.

trlhiker
06-13-2007, 20:24
Juniper is one I read on a regular basis. Also Certain, Mr Happy and Zero.

RockyBob
06-14-2007, 07:19
There is one by Gator Gump that is hilarious. Don't go there if easily offended.

You gotta admit that he has added a certain "twist" to journal writing. I'm anxious to see if "his bear" follows him all the way to Katahdin.

jmcgarrahan
06-14-2007, 08:19
Catchup has a great journal, she is a 54 year old teacher, her son thru-hiked in a few years ago, great journal

fitz
06-14-2007, 08:55
This year I have enjoyed Lena and Bushwackers journals. Have not read them in last 2-3 wks. There are very few journals that I do not like to read. The journals help keep my dream alive of maybe one day being able to thru hike th AT.

fitz

burger
06-14-2007, 09:29
Thanks for all the tips everyone! Now I'm off to start reading...

tekiechick
06-15-2007, 09:02
I've been keeping up with Certain and Persistent. But now I'm intrigued about this Gator Gump fella! I'm checkin' it out...

STEVEM
06-15-2007, 09:18

Is this a "Reptilian Reconciliation"? Gatorgump is a riot.

Lugnut
06-15-2007, 11:39
Is Gator Gump on trailjournals.com? I couldn't find it if it is.

STEVEM
06-15-2007, 11:49
Is Gator Gump on trailjournals.com? I couldn't find it if it is.

This should get you there.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5412

txulrich
06-15-2007, 11:54
His trail name is actually Gatorgump. One word.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-15-2007, 11:57
Is this a "Reptilian Reconciliation"? Gatorgump is a riot.I'm still not a fan of bare-arsing the plaque at Springer, but this guy didn't do it for the reasons I first thought. He did it as a joke for the benefit of his friends and family who are not members of the hiking community, not as a sign of disrespect to the trail or hikers. She Dino tries to admit it when she is wrong and tries to live in peace among men.

tekiechick
06-15-2007, 12:06
...just finished Gatorgump's entire journal in one sitting. HYSTERICAL!

Heater
06-15-2007, 12:15
I'm still not a fan of bare-arsing the plaque at Springer, but this guy didn't do it for the reasons I first thought. He did it as a joke for the benefit of his friends and family who are not members of the hiking community, not as a sign of disrespect to the trail or hikers. She Dino tries to admit it when she is wrong and tries to live in peace among men.

Well, he now knows but is still plans to "bare ass" the Kathadin sign according to a recent entry in his journal.
He is a jerk.

rhjanes
06-15-2007, 13:10
Also, Bird Legs is good .

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-15-2007, 13:16
Well, he now knows but is still plans to "bare ass" the Kathadin sign according to a recent entry in his journal.
He is a jerk.There is a dino with sharp little pointy teeth thats bites anyone bare-arsing the sign on Big K. :D

I'm not going to argue with anyone about his jerk / non-jerk status. His journal is hysterical and I still recommend it.

Lone Wolf
06-15-2007, 13:21
He is a jerk.

he's a good guy. i hung out with him. so he bares hiss butt on a sign.

Heater
06-15-2007, 13:32

Yeah, well... if I knew that something I did pissed a lot of people off and was generally considered as an asholish thing to do, I probably would refrain from repeating the act again. But that's just me.
Hey, he's gonna do was he wants to do at the northern terminus no matter what I think about it or anyone else thinks. Seems kinda selfish and childlike to me but it is his hike. Right? He'll do his thang and then disappear...

:sun

Heater
06-15-2007, 13:50
There is a dino with sharp little pointy teeth thats bites anyone bare-arsing the sign on Big K. :D

I'm not going to argue with anyone about his jerk / non-jerk status. His journal is hysterical and I still recommend it.

I said my piece in his guestbook and it was promptly erased. (as were many others) I have seen your entries since then and I just have to shake my head.
I actually feel kinda em-bare-ass-ed for you. :o (pardon the pun)

smokymtnsteve
06-15-2007, 14:39
boring..the guy is obsessed with homosexuality...I predict he will get in "touch" (or has already beeen in touch) with a friend's penis.

he just thinks about that too much...

burger
06-15-2007, 15:46
Also, Bird Legs is good .
Yeah, I think BirdLegs is the best journal I've seen so far this year. In fact, it might be the best one I've seen since Breakaleg back in 2005. Persistent's is pretty good, too. Thanks to all...

Dranoel
06-15-2007, 22:44
This should get you there.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5412

His writing is killing me. I am laughing my ass off.

Wow. I would love to hike with this guy. Never a dull moment I think. :)

Dranoel
06-15-2007, 23:09
He is a jerk.

Here is a quote from his April 3 entry:

...a few of you have expressed concern that i don't respect the trail. Nothing could be further from the truth, i totally abide by the "leave no trace policy" and now that i am out here i have a great respect for any man, woman, or child who has done this. At this early point i dont know if i can go all the way but if i do it will be my quirky sense of humor that will get me through the loneliness. i sincerely apologize if i have offended anyone

He is not a jerk- he is true to himself and seems like a good guy.

He even apologized if he offended anyone. Sounds like a stand-up guy to me.

smokymtnsteve
06-16-2007, 03:33
I think he likes Wingfoot ..ifn U know what I mean;)

chief
06-16-2007, 18:48
You jealous?

Trillium
06-16-2007, 19:27
I took the suggestion above to check out BirdLegs journal. Very good journal so far.

smokymtnsteve
06-16-2007, 19:32
You jealous?

nope... ...

Lone Wolf
06-16-2007, 19:57

i think he's a stand up guy. you're a whackjob that ran to alaska to smoke dope. his WIFE is a pretty lady by the way. he ain't gay you stoner.:rolleyes:

saimyoji
06-16-2007, 21:07
i think he's a stand up guy. you're a whackjob that ran to alaska to smoke dope. his WIFE is a pretty lady by the way. he ain't gay you stoner.:rolleyes:

Do y'all mean to imply that WF is gay?

chief
06-16-2007, 21:54
Yeah, well... if I knew that something I did pissed a lot of people off and was generally considered as an asholish thing to do, I probably would refrain from repeating the act again. But that's just me.

:sun
But that doesn't stop you from making pissy and generally asholish posts, does it?

smokymtnsteve
06-16-2007, 23:11

but he thinks and writes about it SO much....why do ya think that is???

also what is the diferrence between a straight and a gay Marine?

beerandpizza
06-17-2007, 00:38
but he thinks and writes about it SO much....why do ya think that is???

also what is the diferrence between a straight and a gay Marine?

I noticed nothing homosexual about his posts. I don't get it. His journal is absolutely hysterical. I can only wish that I could maintain his positive attitude. It is funny how a written word can be interpreted in different ways.

Heater
06-17-2007, 00:42
But that doesn't stop you from making pissy and generally asholish posts, does it?

Like the brilliant post YOU just composed and sent out into cyberspace? :rolleyes:

:-? Nope. :cool:

jrwiesz
06-17-2007, 04:31
...just finished Gatorgump's entire journal in one sitting. HYSTERICAL!

I read the entire journal (to date) in one sitting also.
As enjoyable reading as Brysons', "A Walk in the Woods".
He's better than Katz!:D

Go Gatorrump!

STEVEM
06-17-2007, 07:45

New Jerseys most famous AT monument has to be the big plastic solar powered outhouse at The Masipacong Shelter.

Gatorgump, fell free to pull down your pants and pay your respects.

chief
06-17-2007, 13:22
You are correct!

MrHappy
06-18-2007, 08:49

Sorry you couldn't continue to enjoy my journal. I'll be making one final conclusion post soon once I get the results of my MRI. The leg is still pretty messed up.

But yeah, Zero's Journal is really good. He tends to ramble a little, but his stories from past hikes and his descriptions of life on the trail are excellent. I might just like his journal because we're good buddies, but I think his writing is actually pretty good too.

Heater
06-18-2007, 09:08

I have been reading Juniper's TJ too. She is moving along good. Seems like a good personas well. She should be done in a couple of weeks at the rate she's going. Keeps a nice steady pace.

CaseyB
06-18-2007, 09:14
where's the marine joke punchline?

Heater
06-18-2007, 09:20
where's the marine joke punchline?

What would be the porpoise in that? :rolleyes:

Frosty
06-18-2007, 11:38
She Dino tries to admit it when she is wrong and tries to live in peace among men.Like most males, I'd be happy to admit it if I were wrong, it's just that that situation never comes up. I did know a guy who thought he was wrong once, but it turns out he was mistaken.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-18-2007, 12:20
::: bites Frosty on the toes for being such a guy :D :::

Frosty
06-27-2007, 14:38
He is not a jerk- he is true to himself and seems like a good guy.

He even apologized if he offended anyone. Sounds like a stand-up guy to me.Being true to yourself could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on who you are, and what you are being true to. Gatorgump is an asshat, and yes, he is a true asshat.

Here is his latest entry, in which he explains that he did NOT apologize:

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=190080

Reporter: Now that you've been out a while, is there anything that you would have done differently?

Gump: What do you mean?

Reporter: Well you upset some people when you put your bare ass on the plaque at Springer Mountain.

Gump: Only a few anal, uptight morons.

Reporter: Yes, but you apologized?

Gump: No, go back and reread my journal. I said I was sorry they were offended. I thought it was funny then and I think it is funny now. It was a nice way of saying I'm sorry you don't have a sense of humor.

Reporter: So you would do it again?

Gump: Hell yes, look small minds always take up small causes. If those anal morons had any intelligence, they would know the real threat to our national treasures are things like acid rain, global warming, and George Bush. Not some guy out here having fun.

When someone says, "Anyone who disagrees with me is an anal moron with no sense of humor" is pretty much a person without introspection, or realization that there are others in the world besides him. There is truth to the old saw, "If you are concerned you might be a boor at times, you probably are not. If the thought never occurred to you, you almost certainly are."

Later in the entry he says:

But I am lonely

Quelle surprise. No matter where he goes, there will always be an asshat present.

Trillium
07-06-2007, 07:34
I just wanted to thank whoever recommended BirdLegs TJ. She is a magnificent writer! Not surprising for a librarian.

Rain Man
07-06-2007, 13:18
I just wanted to thank whoever recommended BirdLegs TJ. She is a magnificent writer! Not surprising for a librarian.

DITTO.

Rain:sunMan

Bob Anderson
07-22-2007, 18:09
I'm on a few days "zero" (PA >>> ME) but have journal up to date with loads of pictures/narative/thoughts.

www.trailjournals.com/jeb (http://www.trailjournals.com/jeb)

rhjanes
07-22-2007, 23:46
DITTO.

Rain:sunMan

your welcome..... (I think I pointed out her journal first in this thread).

Flash to the movie The Mummy when she gets a bit tipsy, Brandon asks her "what do you DO?" "I'm a (hick) a LIBRARIAN!" (falls over....) :D

Fannypack
07-23-2007, 16:04
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=195312 - Greta a 20 something from NW US

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=195426 - Eric, 52 yr old, retired deputy sheriff from Warner Springs, CA

jmcdonou
07-27-2007, 19:04
gatorgump is a riot, only journal worth reading this season