PDA

View Full Version : sunscreen + insect repellent

Companion
10-02-2003, 16:56
is there a combination of sunscreen AND insect repellent in a single bottle? surely, *someone* thought of that? why carry two bottles when you can carry one...is there something like that out there?

Bunchberry
10-02-2003, 17:25
Off! makes a combo SPF 30 sunscreen/DEET repellant. Used it in Vermont this past June, when the blackflies were out in force, and my hiking partner and I went through a whole bottle in six days.

I'm not sold on having both together -- it meant that I was using up sunscreen even at night. I think if we had had them separately, both the bug goop and the suncreen would have lasted longer.

Bunchberry

Peaks
10-03-2003, 07:43
Much of the AT is under tree cover. About the only time most of us might need sunscreen would be early in the season before the leafs are out. And even then, I wore a bandana so my head didn't get sunburned. I wore a short sleeved shirt and didn't worry about my arms. I don't carry sun screen.

When you need bug spray, you need bug spray. But, for me, that was only in a few states. A 2 oz bottle was more than enough for me.

smokymtnsteve
10-03-2003, 11:00
I like the BEN's 100% deet...you just use a little and it works...

Chief Choctaw
10-03-2003, 11:10
Coppertone makes a great bug and sun product. Its for kids, but doesn't contain the heavy levels of deet that some products do. Works well for hours.

Chief Choctaw

Two Speed
10-03-2003, 17:03
I have needed and used bug spray, but I can't say that I've ever really needed sun screen. The one exception to that is that I do use Blistex for my lips (SPF 15). Haven't ever been sunburned on the trail, but I have had my lips ripped up pretty good on a winter trip by a combination of wind, sun and low humidity. Of course, that makes that first cup of coffee "challenging." :p

As Peaks mentioned, most of the AT is under pretty good tree cover. The PCT or CDT might be a different story. I'd probably be more careful if my trip was going to be at higher altitude, particularly if I was going to be above the tree line very long.

smokymtnsteve
10-03-2003, 17:18
and more skin cancer too....

the sun can be brutal hiking in the winter and early spring before leaf out....sunscreen doesn't cost much or weigh much..it's a good investment...

and blue eyes too!!:D