PDA

View Full Version : Recomend a short day hike in the Smokies

stumpy
06-13-2007, 22:19
I am going to a family function in G-Burg this weekend. I will have Saturday to get out into the park. If you had about 4 or 5 hours to walk any trial in the park, which trail would you walk and why?

Lone Wolf
06-13-2007, 22:29
the chimneys. cuz it's a short, sweet, scenic trail. great views at the top

Ewker
06-13-2007, 22:30
you can hike up to Charlies Bunion and back or have someone drop you off where Fork Ridge trail crosses the Clingman Dome Road. Hike up to the AT and go south to the trail junction of the Sugarland trail. Hike it all the way to the Little River Road. The Laurel Falls trailhead should be right there so you can be picked up. You could leave a car there so you wouldn't have to wait for your ride or they wait for you

stumpy
06-13-2007, 22:34
Wolf:

I was thinking about he the Chimneys too. I have not been there since high school. I may take my 11 year old cousin, how safe would that be? It is hard for me to remeber just how dangerous the trail is----High School was long, long, ago.

Ewker:

That sounds like viable plan as well, if I can talk someone into dropping us off.

Thanks for such quick responses!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-13-2007, 22:48
Since you will be in the Gatlinburg area:

If this is a hike for inexperienced hikers - I recommend driving the Roaring Fork Motor Trail and hiking to the Baskin Creek Falls and Grotto Falls (trailheads clearly marked) off that - each is 1.5 miles one-way.

If all hikers are experienced, I'd hike 6 miles each way to Rainbow Falls - trailhead also on Roaring Fork Motor Trail. This is up hill going in and passes thru some nice old-growth tracts and has many wildflowers along the way.

The Chimneys Trail is steep, but very scenic. Stumpy, an 11 yo should be fine on the trail and top unless he's a daredevil :D

smokymtnsteve
06-13-2007, 23:16
Andrews Bald this time of year .

stumpy
06-14-2007, 07:32
Dino,

The 11 yr. old is not the dare devil. His 7 yr. old brother is a different story! That is why I am taking the older brother.

Marta
06-14-2007, 12:18
You might want to have info on a couple of alternatives.

We've been in the afternoon thundershower pattern here in Charlotte recently. I wouldn't aim high if there's a good chance of having a storm move in. There is a nice low-level walk from Big Creek campground that runs along a creek bed. That would be a good choice if it's really hot and you think there's going to be natural fireworks later in the day.

Marta/Five-Leaf

kyhiker1
06-14-2007, 15:00
Charlies Bunion is a great hike on the AT just off Newfound Gap Rd.Of course you need to watch the weather,it can get hectic up there at times.:jump

Seeker
06-14-2007, 16:13
indian flats falls is a nice hike, up a relatively non-steep path. 8 miles round trip, iirc, from the top of the trailhead by the tremont center. if you're not in great shape, and don't want the exertion of charlie's bunion or the chimneys, this might be a good one.

from gatlinburg, go to the "Y" in townsend, and turn R like you're going to cades cove. if you come through the park from gatlinburg, just stay on that road and don't turn. about a quarter mile down, you'll see a sign for the tremont center on the right, indicating a left turn. go past the tremont center. the road turns from a wide paved one laner to a narrow gravel one laner just after the center. go about another 5 miles to the trailhead. a look at the parking situation there will tell you how much company you'll have, as no one i've ever met coming down did not have a car parked there. not popular with tourists either. the trail follows an old railroad bed for much of it's length, and it's relatively smooth. it's also one of the flatest i've hiked in the smokies (aside from the paved tourist paths going to some of the falls near major roads, and the abrams falls trail). i think its proper name is the middle prong trail. as you get closer to the falls, the path does a series of switchbacks. there is no sign, just a cairn (if someone hasn't disassembled it) marking a small path through the mountain laural. it goes over and under a few obstructions, but it's not far, maybe 100 yards, off the trail. you're almost assured of privacy, which is what i like most about it.

mouse creek falls is nice too, but the trailhead is on the eastern end of the park, off I-40 at waterville. it's not too steep either, but very rocky, and i didn't like it much. i think it was closer to a 6 mile round trip, but it's been quite awhile since i was there.

if i could only do one place, i'd go to charlie's bunion. nice views if the weather cooperates.

The Solemates
06-14-2007, 16:30
A few months ago I took the trail Kephart Prong (off 441 S of Newfound Gap), Grassy Branch, and Dry Sluice Gap Trails up to the AT and Charlie's Bunion. Ate lunch at the Bunion, then headed back South on the AT, took the Sweat Heifer Trail back to 441. I had never been on the Kephart Prong or Grassy Branch trails and I loved them both. Very scenic. Excellent easy, gradual hiking. Even saw a bear on that trip. Charlie's Bunion is among my favorites. Its about a 13 mile hike, so you would need a day to enjoy.

One other option would be to take the Rainbow Falls trail out of Gatlinburg up to Mt LeConte, with a waterfall along the way and excellent views at the top. Again, about a 13 mile RT hike.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-14-2007, 16:45
Be aware that driving over to Townsend from Gatlinburg via Little River Road will eat up a lot of time on a Saturday - it is tourist season.

leeki pole
06-14-2007, 16:50
A few months ago I took the trail Kephart Prong (off 441 S of Newfound Gap), Grassy Branch, and Dry Sluice Gap Trails up to the AT and Charlie's Bunion. Ate lunch at the Bunion, then headed back South on the AT, took the Sweat Heifer Trail back to 441. I had never been on the Kephart Prong or Grassy Branch trails and I loved them both. Very scenic. Excellent easy, gradual hiking. Even saw a bear on that trip. Charlie's Bunion is among my favorites. Its about a 13 mile hike, so you would need a day to enjoy.

One other option would be to take the Rainbow Falls trail out of Gatlinburg up to Mt LeConte, with a waterfall along the way and excellent views at the top. Again, about a 13 mile RT hike.
Rainbow Falls is a sweet hike. Not far at all from G'burg. Super wildflowers, early morning is surreal. Great views of G'burg at the top, past the Falls. Moderate, gets steeper after the Falls as you go up towards LeConte.

smokymtnsteve
06-14-2007, 16:53
Alum cave Bluff would be a nice little hike..an convinient from g"burg.

Ridgerunner50
06-14-2007, 18:12
I second the Big Creek area. There are several falls on an easy ascending trail along Big Creek. If you are real ambitious, there are two old fire towers that require a big climb.(Mt. Sterling and Mt. Cammerer) They views are spectacular. We actually fixed our lunch out on a huge boulder in the middle of Big Creek about half way back to campsite 37 which is an easy 5 miles trek from Big Creek campground.

Egads
06-14-2007, 18:56
Consider Ramsey Cascades

smokymtnsteve
06-14-2007, 18:58
Consider Ramsey Cascades

nice trail good hike...I understand it's been dry in the smokies this year so low flow over the falls.

hootyhoo
06-14-2007, 20:20
Chimbly Tops for sure. The only problem is that you might not do the climb at the end if you have a young person with you. I spent 4 days in Cades Cove area last wkend and the Flame Azaleas are still bloomin on top of gregorys bald. the view up there is fantastic, but its 5 each way. Thats why i say chimney tops-its short and sweet. Ramseys does have that giant tulip poplar though-take a rope and tie a knot where the end touches the rope when wrapped around tree, then measure it when you get home-it was 20' in diameter 15 years ago. Elmont has a lot of good stuff also. Smokies--its all good!!

teachergal
06-14-2007, 20:47
Charlies Bunion is great....it sucks in a thunderstorm though...

My dad and I were up there on a lovely summer day - we'd hiked up to Icewater Springs Shelter and had lunch - right as we were finished the sky opened up...POURING rain, rain like I have never hiked in before!!!!!! I was wearing all synthetics, with the exception of my bra and underwear!!!!! They were all cotton. It was a MISERABLE hike down - and the distant thunder was totally freaking me out.....

The Solemates
06-15-2007, 10:14
I second the Big Creek area. There are several falls on an easy ascending trail along Big Creek. If you are real ambitious, there are two old fire towers that require a big climb.(Mt. Sterling and Mt. Cammerer) They views are spectacular. We actually fixed our lunch out on a huge boulder in the middle of Big Creek about half way back to campsite 37 which is an easy 5 miles trek from Big Creek campground.

was just in big creek not too long ago. great hikes and awesome area. mt cammerer fire tower is one of my favorites. another great recommendation, although a little further from gburg. they also closed big creek a few weeks bag due to storm damage. make sure its back open.

Ewker
06-15-2007, 11:43
was just in big creek not too long ago. great hikes and awesome area. mt cammerer fire tower is one of my favorites. another great recommendation, although a little further from gburg. they also closed big creek a few weeks bag due to storm damage. make sure its back open.

yep the Mt Cammerer Fire Tower is a good place to go.

You can make a nice loop out of it also. Start at Cosby campgrounds and take Low Gap up to the AT, head north and take the side trail to Mt Cammerer, then backtrack to the AT, keep going north to the Lower Mt Cammerer Trail. It leads right back to Cosby Campground...13-14 miles total

Monkeyboy
06-15-2007, 20:29
Chimneys.....definately can't beat the view at the top