PDA

View Full Version : Great Hammock Hanging Campsites

Crash
10-02-2003, 21:00
Do you have a great hammock hanging site or shelter area on The Trail? and might as well do sites that we hangers should avoid. I know alot of the old shelters are too small to hang up in.

Crash
10-02-2003, 21:11
I didnt want to stay near the Eagles Nest shelter in Pennsy - too many shelter rats and too many mosquitos. So I continued south about a mile and saw a small campfire site 100' off the right of the Trail. I was tired and bedded down in my hammock. I woke up in the morning and found I was in a big blueberry patch! Boy did that make my breakfast. it wasn't a good tent site and sure beat the rat's nests.

Crash
10-19-2003, 20:42
I know, all you hammock campers don't want anyone else to know your hidden hammock spots!

deeddawg
10-20-2003, 09:31
It's more a matter of there being WAY too many spots to list because of the freedom of choice that a hammock brings.

Favorite spots for a hammock? Wherever I happen to be that looks good at the end of the day.

That's the magic of hammock camping... it really is a lot more than just a tent you hang between two trees, it's a different way of hiking/camping, a different mindset.

squirrel bait
10-20-2003, 10:02
How so? Freedom of designated sites? Ability to stop anywhere and hang? Don't like ground pounders? It's cool to swing in the brezze? How so?

deeddawg
10-20-2003, 10:24
Not sure I understand the message...

Freedom of site choice -- doesn't have to be level, flat, etc. Pretty much stop wherever looks good and hang.

Different from tent camping. You can't "take all your stuff inside with you" like you can with many tents. Hammock is more a place to sleep, sort of like a bivy strung between two trees than it is a place to hang out. Way more comfortable than I've ever been on the ground.

No superiority cr*p from me, do whatever works best for ya. But I'm definitely a hammock convert. :D

flyfisher
10-28-2003, 14:00
I only have about 200 miles of the AT under my belt, but it represents samples from NC, TN, VA, and NH. I have only found one place that did not have a nice hammock campsite at least once a mile... that was the grasslands of Grayson Highlands. Even there, there would have been places to hang from rocks if it were legal.

Risk