PDA

View Full Version : How is water supply abroad

Ron Haven
06-14-2007, 01:39
in the past few weeks I have been getting in some hiking between Franklin & Hiawassee including today from Deep Gap to Blue Ridge Gap.Only water was at the bridge at Muscrat Creek and it was very,very low.Between Big Springs and Deep Gap was skimpie also a couple weeks ago.Even though thru hikers have gone thru there are a lot of section hikers on the trail.I have been told Ga is short of H2O also.It has also been raining a little in the evenings around Franklin here lately.How is the supply where you are hiking?
:o

Nightwalker
06-14-2007, 02:47
From Amicalola Falls to Neel Gap, the only issues were at Springer and Wood's hole. Everything else was fine.

That was about two weeks ago.

mweinstone
06-14-2007, 06:49
if we have drought ron, the water angels and their well placed jugs may have to fly overtime. i feel a drought comming . in my bones. no i dont.

Wonder
06-14-2007, 10:33
FOr a change.....at the moment.....PA has water

Ron Haven
06-14-2007, 20:24
in the past few weeks I have been getting in some hiking between Franklin & Hiawassee including today from Deep Gap to Blue Ridge Gap.Only water was at the bridge at Muscrat Creek and it was very,very low.Between Big Springs and Deep Gap was skimpie also a couple weeks ago.Even though thru hikers have gone thru there are a lot of section hikers on the trail.I have been told Ga is short of H2O also.It has also been raining a little in the evenings around Franklin here lately.How is the supply where you are hiking?
:oafter that post it rained like pouring water out of a boot today.

Mother Nature
06-15-2007, 08:16
There has been another post (I can't remember which thread) that asked about conditions in GA. I did ask a backpacker about water on Rocky Peak out of Unicoi Gap and he reported the stream had stopped flowing leaving some small pools.

I drove up to the Cheese Factory near Tray Gap and checked the water this week. It was flowing but not heavy. I understand that the water at the GA Deep Gap shelter was nearly dried out.

As Ronnie said, however, thankfully it has rained the past two days like water out of a boot in the afternoon. Hopefully that has helped the water on the trail.

Mother Nature

Nest
06-16-2007, 01:16
I just did a hike from the approach trail to Fontana June 2-13 and water was scarce. Unfortunately I can't remember where it was dry and not, but I figured that 3 out of 4 sources listed in the guide book were dry. Only a couple of sources at shelters were dry, so atleast we could cook good and fill up for the day. A lot of the springs and streams that are listed at campsites or by themselves in the book were dry though. Meaning the locations that are campsite and water only, or the location that is listed just because it has water.

greentick
06-16-2007, 02:35
I clipped this from my post in the "smoky mountains thru" thread:

Walked Clingman's to Fontana Saturday night/Sunday/Monday (9-11 June 07).

Water: Running at least 3/4 liter per minute or better at Siler's Bald shelter, Derrick Knob, Spence Field, Russell Field, and Campsite 113 (Birch Spring). One of the gaps between Russell and 113 has water. There is a sign post without a sign that have a couple of rocks at its base. On the rocks "water" is written. It is 50' down a cross trail "Trail West."

No water: Mollie Ridge shelter. The gap after Brier Knob when sobo, Beech Gap I think. (I was told there was water, and walked down about 30yds for info only - nothin).

fiddlehead
06-16-2007, 05:47
Fine here in Thailand. Monsoon season just started. I hear there's severe drought in southern Austrailia right now though.

briarpatch
06-16-2007, 12:40
The Springer spring is pretty much dry, as is Woods Hole's water source. I've been recommending that folks fill up every time they see water in GA, and carry extra at all times. I would probably hike with 2-3 liters, if I was doing a section in GA right now.

Ron Haven
06-16-2007, 22:29
The Springer spring is pretty much dry, as is Woods Hole's water source. I've been recommending that folks fill up every time they see water in GA, and carry extra at all times. I would probably hike with 2-3 liters, if I was doing a section in GA right now.I was on Wayah today on a shuttle and everyone of the water supplies I could see from the road including the pipe spring crossing before Wine Spring Bald is all dry.

Tennessee Viking
06-16-2007, 23:37
Around the Bald Mtns to Damascus, we had a number of scorcher days. Roaring Creek near Max Patch was running heavily. Then like Wednesday, Unaka & Roan got slammed with some severe weather, which increased source outputs. Rains were heavy so water output might have been heavy right after the storms, but it will probably go to low flow quick. The rain really never had a time to soak into the ground.

You will probably need to stock up on water before hitting Holston and Iron Mountains, not a lot of sources on the ridge line.