PDA

View Full Version : Thru hike food

guavaguy
06-14-2007, 19:41
I am curious as to what most hikers like/want in hiking food.
Has anyone gotten really bored with a lipton/ramen/mac menu?
Any suggestions?
potential thru hiker 2008.
aloha

Grumpy Ol' Pops
06-14-2007, 22:35
Tr y Knorr/Lipton Four Cheese Bow Tie or Tomato Parmesan Italian Sides with a "bag" of Chicken of the Sea Shrimp, Pink Salmon or Tuna mixed in after cooking. It adds a bit of spice at the end of the day! Also, a couple of ounces of Egg Noodles cooked with part of a packet of gravy mix makes a nice spin on stroganoff. If you need a bit more, put in a bullion cube and get a beefier flavor.

Kaptain Kangaroo
06-14-2007, 23:16
Everyone is different. I did just eat the 5 basic hiker food groups of ramen, lipton, snickers, pop tarts & GORP. But other people couldn't stand some of these things, especially after several months of them.

What worked for me was to figure it out as I went. Buy as you go rather than stock up before your hike & do lots of maildrops. This way you can change your diet as your tastes change on the trail. I mean, I would have never planned to eat tortillas stuffed with potato chips & parmesan cheese before I hit the trail, but this was my lunch for the last 4 weeks of my hike & I would get cravings for it !!!!

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

ozt42
06-15-2007, 00:59
Zataran's jambalaya and dirty rice, just heat and add hot sauce :D

PJ 2005
06-15-2007, 10:54
Breakfast:
Cereal (tons of flavors!), granola bars. They make coffee granola bars now... caffeine and all!

Dinner:
Couscous, instant mashed potatoes, stouffer's stuffing... and on first nights out of town, beer, soda, hot dogs, kilbasa/green peppers/onions, any meat that's easy to cook. It may add a couple pounds for a day, but it's worth the envious looks from other hikers!

guavaguy
06-15-2007, 18:04
Great suggestions!
Is it worth my wife purchasing a bunch of easy to cook meals (ie, Adventure foods, Mtn house, Backpackers pantry, etc...) and mix and match for a surprise in every mail drop.
Or is it easier to try and find food along the way?
Thanks

Condor
06-15-2007, 18:18
Great suggestions!
Is it worth my wife purchasing a bunch of easy to cook meals (ie, Adventure foods, Mtn house, Backpackers pantry, etc...) and mix and match for a surprise in every mail drop.
Thanks

By the time I got to Maine there was one hiker who was willing to trade me a Mountain house for two ramens(I gladly accepted). This was because he had purchased lots of MH dinners before the hike and got tired of them. So I guess that just goes to show it's all about variety. One MH in every maildrop might be somthing to look forward to. :sun Four in every maildrop would get old. Plus the garbage from those meals is really bulky.

Appalachian Tater
06-15-2007, 18:25
It's probably easier to find food along the way. Your tastes will likely change from time to time. In warmer weather I needed salty foods, before I had been eating sweet foods. I ate bagels and cheese for weeks until I suddenly didn't want them at all.

Have you read Baltimore Jack's re-supply article from the article "forum" on this website? It has almost all of the information you need. There may be a couple of places where a maildrop is nice, say Fontana Dam and Glencliff.

If you want freeze-dried meals, which are lightweight, and filling (get the 20 oz ones), good for a change from ramen, but expensive, Mountain House has their "Marine Cusine" on sale: http://www.mtnhse.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MC
These are exactly the same as their regular meals except for the wording on the packages.

Appalachian Tater
06-15-2007, 18:26
One advantage to the MH meals is they don't use so much water and don't dirty your pot, which is great when you're camping where there is no water.

Condor
06-15-2007, 18:27
Great suggestions!
Thanks

I personaly think its better to get food along the way! But getting a package from home every now and then is a great thing, especialy if there is cookies! I never realy got sick of anything, as I love to eat, but one of my favorite things to do was buy some Bratwurst or hotdogs in town and them cook them over a fire and share them the first night out of town. It might be a little heavy but the sure taste good. Also I found I always craved oranges so I'd somtimes get one or two on the way out of town.

sly dog
06-15-2007, 18:31
Already cooked bacon,that stuff ya can buy like that,throw a bunch in a zip lock.Hamburger helper now has packs you need only water,like easy mac but i add salt or bulion. Also you can(at home) pan fry some ground beef,soak off some grease then bake till browned.This will last a little while on the trail and can be added to powdered potatoes with a gravy packet and add anything to flavor like dried onions,garlic or dried peppers. Make meals like that and bag em,then just boil some water and add.

View
06-15-2007, 21:38
I am curious as to what most hikers like/want in hiking food.
Has anyone gotten really bored with a lipton/ramen/mac menu?
Any suggestions?
potential thru hiker 2008.
aloha

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/

The book is great!!

snookets
06-15-2007, 23:34
Barilla dried tortellini- slightly heavier, but oh soo good to look forward to, and you can add just cheese or oil. And available at most resupplies.

futs
06-16-2007, 10:30
if your doing maildrops i think the best thing to do "this is what my mom dose for me" is get a dehidrater have the parson at home dry out left overs from dinner and BAM you have a home cooked meal every night ... it's light and a hell of alot better then any thing your going to get a the store. you just add water wait a few mins and your good .. you get a diffrent meal every night.

soulrebel
06-16-2007, 10:51
maildrops are a waste of time.

In 5 months on the trail, I only ate 2 packs of ramen, 1 lipton meal, no instant oatmeal/grits, 2 snickers bars, zero mac n cheese.

on the other hand, I can't count the number of steaks, potatoes, fresh corn/veggies, eggs, and beers I've put down.

can't completely lie--did eat quite a few packs of instant mashed potatoes w/ real bacon and cheese added.

guavaguy
06-16-2007, 14:18
Thanks guys. It seems that variety IS the spice of life (especially regarding trail food). The home cooked, dehydrated version does sound good. I appreciate the input. It also seems that everyone finds one or two meals that they really like and almost "depend" on them for several times per week.

Appalachian Tater
06-16-2007, 16:59
Be warned that dehydrating and mailing home-cooked meals is a lot of work. I knew someone who did it, and they had absolutely wonderful food, but they put a lot of effort into it.

katagious
06-17-2007, 11:28
As the mom who cooks the meals for nucking and futs..let me just say this.... Home cooking and dehydrating has cut the cost of food for the trip tremendously..even if you factor in shipping cost. At first, it was a bit of a pain in the you know what to get the food prepped and sent. After awhile you get in a routine and it's just part of your daily food preperation. If you're making granola make a mega batch and pack it up with out fruit mixed in..then you can mix the fruit in as you ship for variation..if your making spaghetti for the famly quadruple the recipe and dehydrate the rest. Freeze it and ship every couple of mail drops for variation. Doing mail drops IS a bit of work and..if my sons were 5 or 10 years older..I might not be so willing..as it is..they're still close enough to being "kids" that I'm glad to still be able to do that sort of thing.

-Ghost-
06-24-2007, 23:02
Thanks guys. It seems that variety IS the spice of life (especially regarding trail food). The home cooked, dehydrated version does sound good. I appreciate the input. It also seems that everyone finds one or two meals that they really like and almost "depend" on them for several times per week.

For me, hunger is the spice of life on the trail! :D Ill eat just about anything after a day of hiking.

fiddlehead
06-25-2007, 00:24
Be warned that dehydrating and mailing home-cooked meals is a lot of work. I knew someone who did it, and they had absolutely wonderful food, but they put a lot of effort into it.

hmm! an effortless hike? never thought about that.
It takes about 3 days for me to dry enough food for a 5 month hike. I built myself a dehydrator years ago with 6 2'X2' sliding racks. If cutting up some food and putting it in the dehydrator and turning it on is too much effort, then enjoy your ramen and lipton's while i have some Masaman Curry with brocolli, carrots, potatoes and beef.

jrwiesz
06-25-2007, 00:57
As the mom who cooks the meals for nucking and futs..let me just say this.... Home cooking and dehydrating has cut the cost of food for the trip tremendously..even if you factor in shipping cost. At first, it was a bit of a pain in the you know what to get the food prepped and sent. After awhile you get in a routine and it's just part of your daily food preperation. If you're making granola make a mega batch and pack it up with out fruit mixed in..then you can mix the fruit in as you ship for variation..if your making spaghetti for the famly quadruple the recipe and dehydrate the rest. Freeze it and ship every couple of mail drops for variation. Doing mail drops IS a bit of work and..if my sons were 5 or 10 years older..I might not be so willing..as it is..they're still close enough to being "kids" that I'm glad to still be able to do that sort of thing.

You sound like a great mother. And it appears to me, that you have raised two wonderful young lads; I, especially love their names, what a gas!
You've got it right on, your labor of love. I sure hope those youngsters know and appreciate how lucky they are; which I'm sure they do.:sun

sly dog
07-25-2007, 23:38
Barilla dried tortellini- slightly heavier, but oh soo good to look forward to, and you can add just cheese or oil. And available at most resupplies.

O my!! I tried them on my last trip,3 cheese, with a little olive oil and parm cheese...wow, felt like i was in town. When boiling them dont use the recomended ammount of water but use common sense like a cup or 2. After they were ready i used my pot lid as a pan fry to flavor with oil, sprinkle parm cheese and eat.yum!!

JAK
07-26-2007, 00:00
What do you do about vitamins and minerals while thru-hiking?
What are the vitamins and minerals not commonly found in hiking food?
What are the vitamins and minerals you might need more of than usual?

Ender
07-26-2007, 09:26
On the AT I had mac n cheese at least 3-4 times a week, and now I can't stand the stuff. When I attempted the PCT I tried to eat the stuff again, but even though I was starving I couldn't choke it down and had to trade it with another hiker.

I try now to vary my meals as much as possible, but still find some dishes that work well. One of my favorites now is pesto... Half a pack of noodles (or more if I'm really hungry), a package of Knorr (or Lipton or whatever is available) pesto mix, and olive oil. Tastes great, fills me up, and is really easy to make.

Another is makign sandwiches using those single packages of deli meat, smooshed down hamburger buns, cheese singles, and mayo packets. Mmmmmm....

A lunch standard of mine, which I've yet to find anything that gives me as much hiking energy, are tortilla shells smothered in peanut butter, and then slathered in honey. Eat two of those, and I'm good to go for the rest of the day.

sly dog
07-26-2007, 09:33
For vitamins ya take vitamins also the drink mix i use has them in it, propell mix comes in several forms, vitamins,joint care,fiber,etc. Also i usually take a orange mix with vitamin C for my breakfast drink mix.

Time To Fly 97
07-27-2007, 09:23
I'm with FUTZ and Fiddlehead - make your own and it will not only taste better, but add variety. It is a sustained effort for a thru-hike and you will need a large deydrator. I love Indian dishes on the trail like Chicken Korma and Jasmine rice.

JAK asked about vitamins. I think the body is one big chemical mix that has to be kept at an optimum balance for everything to work (including moods). Vitamins are essential. I question whether vitamins derived just from food can replace what sustained hiking can take out of you. I took vitamins every day on my thru-hike

Happy hiking!

TTF

ms doolittle
07-27-2007, 11:22
I've been dehydrating chili (and pasta), refried beans, and rotelle for what feels like months.

The thru-hiker appetite is hard to maintane. Out of a 7 serving can of refried beans, I get 2.5 servings. Craziness.

Blissful
07-27-2007, 13:35

I take a multi vitamin every day along with mega Vit C twice a day and my glucosomine. Much of the trail food (lipton, ramen, potato mix etc) lacks everything but carbs. We do mail drops too with food we dehydrated to help in the vitamin department and to add variety.

Blissful
07-27-2007, 13:39
I've been dehydrating chili (and pasta), refried beans, and rotelle for what feels like months.

We did that too. The only thing is that you can get sick and tired of your old standbys pretty fast. Get inventive with combinations and recipes while you have the time now. Food stores are coming out with some great stuff too, already pre packaged.

7Sisters
07-28-2007, 06:09
Breakfast:
instant milk and cereal / granola
pop tarts, breakfast bars, oatmeal, grits

snacks throughout day (I don't have a lunch as I eat throughout the day)
energy bars - usually 4 or 5 per day

Dinner:
Mac & Cheese, Cous Cous, Lipton Starters, mashed potatoes, Pasts and pesto sauce.

It's important for dinner to be something I am really looking forward to for the last couple of hours before I get to camp.

flyingduckmonster
08-06-2007, 15:09
Guys, this pre-cooking and dehydrating thing sounds like a great idea! (I make awesome chili--and a lot of it at once--so that would be a great thing to have on the trail. Also, Indian food is my favorite thing ever, so of course I'd want to make some of that, too.) I'm just wondering what all is involved? You need a dehydrator, it seems. Is there any real trick to dehydrating a whole meal? (I've dried meat and ginger and stuff in an oven, but I'd never thought of dehydrating a meal.. That's interesting...) And then to rehydrate, you just add some hot water and stir?

jmcgarrahan
08-06-2007, 15:56
I have been dehydrating food for my husband "Low Branch" since March, and every meal I cook, I make extra, just lay it out in the dehydrator and turn it on, no trick. I have made meatloaf, mashed potatoes and greenbeans, and put it all together, now it mixes up after the water is added to rehydrate, but he doesn't seem to care, he says it's great. Chicken never has done very well so I stay away from that and he is happy.

7Sisters
08-11-2007, 06:49
I think part of this will come down to what type of eater are you. Are you a utilitarian eater or one that loves to cook and eat different things?

On and off the trail, I'm a grazer and a utilitarian eater. I can eat the same thing all the time. For breakfast off the trail I have a cliff bar and vitamins. Some days I will switch it up and have granola, but Ihave just come to accept that while I like food, the varying tastes are a bonus to the utility of it.

guavaguy
08-31-2007, 16:42
I have been dehydrating food for my husband "Low Branch" since March, and every meal I cook, I make extra, just lay it out in the dehydrator and turn it on, no trick. I have made meatloaf, mashed potatoes and greenbeans, and put it all together, now it mixes up after the water is added to rehydrate, but he doesn't seem to care, he says it's great. Chicken never has done very well so I stay away from that and he is happy.
Thanks for all the great posts. My wife and I have been dehydrating this summer and experimenting. We found chicken and beef to dehydrate real well as long as you don't do it too long.
We're doing a long weekend hike for Labor Day and will try a few home recipes. We have not taken a home meal and dehyrdated it yet (instead, we have dried the different ingredients and combine on trail).
Still looking at '08.

guavaguy
08-31-2007, 16:52
From all that I've researched I've found that most suggest a multi-vitamin daily, B-12 and a "sports" type drink mix (I use Cytomax when I cycle and also when I hike). I've also read where making sure you get enough potassium is essential (to ward off cramps and aids in muscle repair).

JAK
08-31-2007, 17:25
My current mindset and stomachset is oatmeal variations for breakfast, and soup variations for supper, with lots of milk and honey and tea while hiking, even in hot weather, but also some citrus and sports drinks in hot weather. I also like some jerky once a day to have something to chew on. If I am burning more calories the oatmeal and soups gain calories by various means, but the volume and amount of roughage remain the same.

On a thru-hike this would likely all change. I would be inclined to shop along the way though, and adapt to what was available. I would also prefer to avoid larger towns even if right on the trail and hit smaller towns even if they are off a ways and/or I had to bushwack a little, but I have no idea how doable or productive that might be. I particularly like the idea of unexpected farmers markets, roadside produce stands, u-picks. I don't mind hiking country roads either, if there still is such a thing.

I tend to buy and pack stuff bulk rather than worry about individual meals ahead of time. Also I don't mind little or no variety on any given section, but I like to change things from one section to the next. I like getting the odd flavours and vitamins from stuff along the way also, as long as its plentiful, like wood sorrel, bark, twigs, dirt and stuff. Very curious about the wood crafting I've heard about in the Southern Appalachians. That's not the right word. What's the right word? Also I am always curious about what the native americans might have eaten throughout their various ages, in their villages or when they were travelling, in whatever areas I happen to be travelling through. Most of that is probably lost in time, as the woods and their people have likely changed several times over, as they still do today.

Here's an interesting paper:
http://www.jstor.org/view/0095182x/ap040083/04a00090/0?frame=noframe&[email protected]/01cce4405b00501c77ec6&dpi=3&config=jstor

nonameyet
08-31-2007, 18:14
I like getting the odd flavours and vitamins from stuff along the way also, as long as its plentiful, like wood sorrel, bark, twigs, dirt and stuff.

Ah wood sorrel. Chock full of Vitamin C and extremely plentiful in the Appalachians. Tasty too!
I also like to pick up random wild edibles and munch on them or add them to dinner.

musicwoman
09-20-2007, 12:42
OK, this is going to sound really stupid, but I've always wondered.....why not MRE a little, or even alot?

Lone Wolf
09-20-2007, 12:45
expensive and heavy

Mocs123
09-20-2007, 13:05
OK, this is going to sound really stupid, but I've always wondered.....why not MRE a little, or even alot?

We took MREs on my first backpacking trip a few years ago. While they have alot of food and taste good, but they are extreamely heavy, bulky, and create way too much trash. MRE's would be unfeasable for a thru, and unpractical on a weekend trip.

Lilred
09-20-2007, 18:33
On every section hike I go on, I pack one or two packages of Ramen. Have yet to eat them, yet I eat them at home all the time. Mountain House has some good varieties, but they are big and bulky. I like Enertia foods, much more compact and take up a lot less room. I tend to get in a rut when I'm hiking. Oatmeal for breakfast, peanut butter and bagel for lunch, energy bars for snacks and a pasta side dish of some kind for dinner. Hamburger Helper now has dehydrated meat in single serving pouches. Good stuff.

sarbar
09-20-2007, 19:08
I take my food pretty seriously when doing PCT section hikes. Granted I have dietary restrictions, so I really have to pay attention now, but it is easy now to pull my food together.

One of my favorite meals, I eat it often:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/ER19.jpg

This was for a recent trip, all my food laid out:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Food2.jpg

This was a recent recipe I worked on that will be coming with me on an upcoming section in October:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/largechilimac.jpg

With a few minutes time, anyone can eat good -and do it cheap also!

quasarr
09-26-2007, 19:03
Do you guys have any advice about how to eat healthy while on the trail? I always heard that dehydrated food loses most of its nutrition. Fresh fruit & veggies are so heavy though! What out there is light and good for you??

On 1 week backpacking trips I just eat Ramen or Lipton. But for a thru hike I'll need something more substantial! Of course I know some ppl do the whole trail on Snickers bars, but I don't want to if I can avoid it.

I can definitely see myself packing in some luxury food from town for the first day or two.

rafe
09-26-2007, 19:17
Do you guys have any advice about how to eat healthy while on the trail? I always heard that dehydrated food loses most of its nutrition. Fresh fruit & veggies are so heavy though! What out there is light and good for you??

On 1 week backpacking trips I just eat Ramen or Lipton. But for a thru hike I'll need something more substantial! Of course I know some ppl do the whole trail on Snickers bars, but I don't want to if I can avoid it.

I can definitely see myself packing in some luxury food from town for the first day or two.

If you figure it out, let us know. Sorry, that's no help, but you already understand the nature of the problem, I think. My personal "solution" has been to hit towns fairly regularly, and eat reasonably healthy food when I'm in town, rather than pigging out on fast, greasy junk. Also, like you say... carry a bit of "luxury" food to be consumed in the first day or two after resupply.

Blissful
09-26-2007, 19:21

You are wise!

Salads and fresh fruit are definitely town faire. Though some angels did leave fresh fruit in coolers at different roadsides.

Dried fruit is no problem to carry. Raisins, prunes, apricots, papayas, apples, bananas. I also liked the 100% fruit sticks form target and used them all the time (their brand). I also love dried cherries. Lipton Knorrs has made some kind of new rice mixes with extra veggies in it. Had it and it wasn't too bad. Dehydrated veggies are better than none. We dehydrated peas, carrots, and green beans to put in our meals.

Another thing you want to consider is whole grains. Use brown rice (there are quick varieties out there). Bulgar wheat for meals. Oats. Wheat germ. Make your own granola and put nuts and dried fruit in it along with oats and wheat germ.

sarbar
09-26-2007, 21:57

Actually dried foods can be very nutrious! Freeze dried veggies and fruits especially so, as they lose little.
if you home dry food, use food that is at it's prime. Store in a cool and dark area (freezers work) tightly sealed.
If you did go with stuff like ramen and liptons just add in dried vegetables to give it more flavor, fiber and nutriton :)

quasarr
09-26-2007, 22:50
thanks guys!

I want to try out corn pasta, which ray jardine recommends but the taste gets mixed reviews. I can't find it in my local grocery store so I probably can't count on getting it in any small towns.

Appalachian Tater
09-26-2007, 23:01
There are only a couple of places on the trail where you have even a chance of finding corn pasta. You should be able to find some in the Triangle, don't you have a Whole Foods somewhere?

Unless there's something special about corn that I haven't heard about, you're probably better off with whole-wheat pasta. It has more protein and fiber, anyway. Whole wheat cous-cous is readily available these days and it doesn't even have to be cooked.

Course, on the trail, the best you're going to do most of the time is regular cous cous and pasta, packages of Lipton's, and ramen.

rafe
09-26-2007, 23:09
Course, on the trail, the best you're going to do most of the time is regular cous cous and pasta, packages of Lipton's, and ramen.

I found the Krogers markets (eg., Duncannon, Waynesboro, Daleville) to have a decent selection of "hiker" type food. At the expense of extra fuel (longer cooking times) or "cozy" cooking, there are some alternatives to Lipton's nowadays. Eg. Alessi brand soups, Barilla's pasta, various bean soup mixes, etc. But I always keep a Ramen or two for emergencies. :D

Appalachian Tater
09-26-2007, 23:27
Tortellini are usually available, too. Tortellini soup with sun-dried tomatoes and bacon is wonderful!

sarbar
09-27-2007, 10:26
thanks guys!

I want to try out corn pasta, which ray jardine recommends but the taste gets mixed reviews. I can't find it in my local grocery store so I probably can't count on getting it in any small towns.

You really, really are running a big chance you will hate it. If you overcook it even a bit it is nasty. Btw, if you do want it, look in the gluten free section.
Honestly, there are so many other better choices out there, the Barilla multi grain pasta is quite tasty-and good for you.

Johnny Appleseed
09-27-2007, 17:38
I added ramen noodles to everything I ate-as a filler. I could not put more than 1/2 of the flavor packet in there. Mashed potatoes and Lipton's rice dinners were the mainstay, all added w/ ramen. Pepperoni in the potatoes is like home cooking (Somewhat). Also, always carry cheese. I wanted a spice bag with two mixes and never did it. Minced onions and italian spice-oregano, etc. were my first choice. Pesto mentioned earlier would have been nice-too bad I read this after thru-hiking. In conclusion, India is a vast country with lots of diversity.

quasarr
09-29-2007, 11:20
While grocery shopping yesterday, I made a special effort to look for lightweight produce. My results:

1. mushrooms
2. eggplant

that's about it! :p I'm going on a 3 day hike in October, I plan to try these out and see how it goes. Mushrooms are already one of my favorite foods. I eat them raw as a snack, and when cooked they get a great meaty flavor. But I never tried eggplant before, I don't even know what it tastes like :confused:

And yes, there health food stores where I could get corn pasta, but they are a bit of a drive. Food Lion, on the other hand, is within easy walking distance! I'm not doing mail drops, so if corn pasta isn't available in normal grocery stores along the way then I'll go with whole wheat instead.

budforester
09-29-2007, 19:10
Dehydration kills some of the vitamin content of foods, but other nutrients, protein, carbohydrates, fiber, and minerals remain mostly intact. Freeze- dried usually retains a little more vitamin content. Solution: take a vitamin tablet. Also, you can often be creative with fresh foods on your first night out of town.

AmyJanette
01-22-2008, 00:28
Question: Does anyone know what the rules are for shipping dried foods into the States from Canada? I'm planning an '09 thruhike, and I would like to supplement my resupplies with food drops, but I don't want to waste my time dehydrating food and spending the money to ship it to the towns along the AT if it isn't going to make it across the border.

jrwiesz
01-22-2008, 03:12
Question: Does anyone know what the rules are for shipping dried foods into the States from Canada? I'm planning an '09 thruhike, and I would like to supplement my resupplies with food drops, but I don't want to waste my time dehydrating food and spending the money to ship it to the towns along the AT if it isn't going to make it across the border.

Maybe an inquiry to the USPS is in order. And maybe to the Canadian equivilent.:sun

clured
01-22-2008, 11:45
poptarts.

wrongway_08
01-22-2008, 12:20
I do plan to eat healthy (fruits and veggies) while in town. On the trail - as long as I have something to stuff my face with, it doesnt matter what it is.

I do plan to buy 1 or 2 large greasy Dominos pizzas in town, jam them into a gallon size zip-lock bag and then hike them up to the trail. I will wait for a bunch of starvin marvins to get into camp and then reheat that greasy pizza and eat it all slice by slice as I watch the starvin marvins drool over my feast....:D.......:eek:.............:p............ .okay, I might share some..........maybe not.......Hmmmmm.......just have to wait and see.......:D:D!!!