PDA

View Full Version : avoiding illness?

chknfngrs
10-03-2003, 11:13
ok, so I have remnants of a nasty cold. I was just wondering, sparked by threads of people beginning thru hikes in February. How do you cope with illness on the trail? Sudafed? Alka Seltzer Plus? You know it's the effervessance.

Just curious to see how one 'handles' illness.

Presto
10-03-2003, 11:53
I guess you just use a little common sense. Sometimes you push yourself on if it isn't too bad. Otherwise get a nice, cheap place to stay in town and wait it out until you are feeling well enough to continue.

There have been other good threads on this so I wont elaborate, but know symtoms of Lymes disease and SEE A DR. if you feel there is a possiblility of having it.

We took with no cold medicine other than Tylenol.

smokymtnsteve
10-03-2003, 12:01
I take a complete little notions and potions bag...benedryl , antacid, immodium, sudafed, pain relievers, antibiotic/antifungal cream, just a few of each light and compact and there is nothing as miserable as feeling bad out on the trail and not having your favorite notion/potion....

an elastic bandage and moleskin is a must too...

Kerosene
10-03-2003, 12:42
I do the same as SmokyMtnSteve. The self-adhering "ace" wrap bandage can serve a number of purposes. I supplement the moleskin with several of the Band-Aid brand blister patches that you heat between your hands before applying. They are great for non-toe blisters and hot spots.

smokymtnsteve
10-03-2003, 13:02
It's amazing how much moleskin and tums and other notions you can give away to hikers ...who say they never need it..