PDA

View Full Version : RIP Colin Fletcher

Creek Dancer
06-15-2007, 10:56
http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_6137264

Saw this over on TT and thought I would post here as well. I had an opportunity to buy one of his books at the local used book store. Now I wish I had. Do any of you have his books? Did you find them helpful? Inspirational?

Johnny Swank
06-15-2007, 11:17
I hated to hear that. He was a huge influence on me when I first started out backpacking. His health had not been all that great since being hit by a car a few years ago.

Mags
06-15-2007, 11:25

Saw this over on TT and thought I would post here as well. I had an opportunity to buy one of his books at the local used book store. Now I wish I had. Do any of you have his books? Did you find them helpful? Inspirational?

We lost a person who was definitely one of the founding fathers of our little tribe.

His COMPLETE WALKER books introduced many people to backpacking.

More importantly, in my opinion, were his writing about his journeys. It was not how many miles he hiked, or how far he went. It was about his sense of discovery, about being immersed in nature, of seeing what is around the next bend of the river, the trail or the canyon.

There are two quotes from Colin Fletcher I always think about when I do my own long journeys and return from them:

Before a hike:
I also realized that I'd grown soft, Things had been going to well
lately. Too easily. I needed something to pare the fat off my soul,
to scare the sh** out of me, to make me grateful, again, for being
alive. All I knew, deep and safe, beyond mere intellect, that there
is nothing like a wilderness journey for re-kindling the fires of
life. Simplicity is part of it. Cutting the cackle. Transportation
reduced to leg- or arm-power, eating irons to one spoon.
Such simplicity, together with sweat and silence, amplify the rhythms
of any long journey, especially through unknown, untattered
territory. And in the end such a journey can restore an understanding
of how insignificant you are - thereby set you free.
--Colin Fletcher, RIVER

After a hike:
It is always there, of course, when you come back from the green world. You
have been living by sunrise and sunset, by wind and rain, surrounded by the
ebb and flow of lives that respond only to such simple, rhythmic elements.
But now the tone and tempo of the days switch. Instead of harmony, jangle.
--Colin Fletcher, WINDS OF MARA

RIP Colin.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-15-2007, 11:53
Prayers for those who loved, admired or were inspired by Colin - this dino included.

know your life
on earth was troubled
and only you could know the pain.
You weren't afraid to face the devil,
you were no stranger to the rain.

Go rest high on that mountain
son,your work on earth is done.
Go to heaven a-shoutin'
love for the Father and the Son.

Oh,how we cried the day you left us
we gathered round your grave to grieve.
I wish i could see the angels faces
when they hear your sweet voice sing.

Lyle
06-15-2007, 12:24
Colin Fletcher wrote the best "How To" about backpacking ever. It was an inspiration and guide to me when I first started backpacking, and I still take most of what he professed to heart.

Tho the equipment has changed and many items he talks about are vastly improved, he recognized that this would happen and wrote his advice about what to look for in gear, and what to consider when making your choice rather than recommending specific options.

"The Complete Walker" is an entertaining, inspiring, and totally relevant book even today. I still follow many of his recommendations...

To parafrase:

"All things being equal, choose a room with a view" when selecting a location for a "cat hole".

His description of a typical morning's routine of making breakfast while still in the sleeping bag is still an inspiration to me many mornings while hiking - the perfect start to a perfect day.

The other book that I enjoyed immensly was "The Man Who Walked Through Time". More an emotional account of an incredible journey than a how-to, it describes the essence of what many of us are doing spending our time in the wilderness. The self-challenges, the visceral ties to nature and our forebearers, the sheer joy of being free in nature.

It's truely sad that Colin Fletcher is no longer with us, but his influence will last for a long, long time.

The Weasel
06-15-2007, 12:28
I have no doubt he is now, as he always was, ready for the new trail he is now walking, with a smile as he climbs into the sunshine.

The Weasel

Heater
06-15-2007, 12:31
Bummer. :(

Marta
06-15-2007, 12:40
My hero is gone. Poetic, grouchy, hilarious, the most inspirational hiker-writer ever.

Having pre-hike anxiety? Check out his words on "Fletcheritis."

I loved what he said about the value of walking in small doses.

When people on Whiteblaze ask about food, I always think of the food section in "The Complete Walker," in which he describes several different food planning systems, then concludes "At the end of a day of hiking, it all tastes great."

He was The Man.

Marta/Five-Leaf

SouthMark
06-15-2007, 13:52
I first read his "The Thousand Mile Summer" in the 70's and was so inspired that I rushed out and bought "The Man Who Wlked Through Time" and "The Complete Walker". Next I began buying backpacking gear. I was hooked. My first pack was none other than a Trailwise, my first sleeping bag was a Trailwise, and my stove was a Sevea just like Colin's. His "The Complete Walker" was truly a backpacking bible for me. I still have that first edition and have since bought each new revision.

To this day there is not a backpacking trip that I do not think about something from his books.

RIP, Colin

wilconow
06-15-2007, 14:38
mags, thanks for posting those quotes.

gumball
06-15-2007, 14:43
We just came off a week's section and spoke of Mr. Fletcher thru our hike--his books have been instrumental in mentoring us through our early and later hiking.

I hope he is hiking somewhere wonderful right now.

Kerosene
06-15-2007, 14:44
Ed Garvey's Appalachian Hiker: Adventure of a Lifetime, and Colin Fletcher's Complete Walker, were my bibles in high school. I devoured these books in the early 70's as I section hiked the AT in the Mid-Atlantic states.

woodsy
06-15-2007, 15:59
By Colin Fletcher, first published in 1968 was my first introduction to this great outdoorsman and writer. He is said to be the first man to ever have walked the entire length of the Grand Canyon which took approx 2 months . This is a great read fot those of you who like to be one with nature and solo adventure. Found this book at a used book store for $1.75 a few years ago, the original price in 1972 was $ 2.45, it is priceless.

The Solemates
06-15-2007, 16:37
Have read every book he has written. Great writer. He lived a good life and hopefully still is.

jrwiesz
06-15-2007, 17:15
"The Complete Walker" and "The Man Who Walked thru Time", as others have said were the hikers' bible for me in the early 70's. Back in his time the 50 lbs. pack weight was the standard, nobody thought different. His walk through the Grand Canyon was so reflective, and truely inspirational. I thought, "I sure would like to spend one night in that cave dwelling", that he describes in "Walk thru Time". This adventuresome man will truely be missed; his writngs and teachings helped bring a lot of us the hiking joys we experience today. Long live his memory.:sun

ed bell
06-15-2007, 17:34
Colin was one of my favorite outdoor writers and will always be an inspiration to backpacking. He will be missed.:sun

leeki pole
06-15-2007, 17:46
Oh my...brings back memories from high school...did book reports and essays about him and his books and philosophies. All my classmates thought I was a whacko (they're probably right.) But he was a special guy.:o But it really got me into the outdoors and backpacking. Thanks, Colin.

mudhead
06-16-2007, 04:16
Full life.

Wanderingson
06-16-2007, 06:01
A pioneer thinker who's legacy will live with most of us forever.

Doctari
06-16-2007, 07:09
My honest first response, it is edited for delecate eyes yet I do not apologize for this:

"DAMN F***F***F*** DAMN!

I have CW 1 & 2 in my library, I still read them from time to time. I suggest any of the Complete Walker books as first read for ANYONE wanting to get into backpacking. Granted, Colin wasn't an ultralighter, but for first timers, especially the last CW (#4?) is truely the BIBLE, with Ray Jardene's effort a nice "study guide" or "supplement" IMHO ment to be read AFTER you read Colin's works.
Inspirationsl indeed!!!!

I have also read most, if not all of his oter stuff, indeed a great writer.

I have tears in my eyes, he will be missed!

Doctari.

TIDE-HSV
06-16-2007, 10:37
read all his books and I was heavily influenced by them. About the weight of his gear, hardly anybody was thinking "ultra light" back then and the UL gear wasn't really available. My first pack (post Boy Scout days) was with a Kelty Serac loaded to 58 lb (had 11-year old daughter along). And I was proud of the fact that I could carry it as far as I did...

hopefulhiker
06-16-2007, 13:49
I also read Colin Fletcher's Complete Walker books, at least a couple of the editions.. He was one of the first.. It was his idea to use a front pack. I used a front pack made by Luxury lite on mhy 05 hike. He was a big advocate of hiking solo.. The original "Hike your own Hike" guy...

Toolshed
06-16-2007, 21:13
The Complete Walker III was my bible (along with the Moutaineers Freedom of the Hills, but that came later.

I also very much enjoyed TMWWTT - A Grand Canyon read (pun intended) that I have read over and over again. I hate to compare, but to me Bryson was sheer entertainment with no knowledgeable input, Abbey was Anti-Establishment, but knowledgeable and cantankerous and Fletcher was THE EXPERT, A little Drier at times, but exquisitiably knowledgeable and all encompassing.
Here's to Colin Fletcher!!!! :clap :clap :clap

Toolshed
06-16-2007, 21:16
BTW, Which adventure was it where he paddled a boat into Mexico (am I confusing him with Chris McCandless?) and walked to the ocean in California.... I read it many years ago, but cannot recall which book it ws in.

rainmaker
06-16-2007, 21:42
Colin Fletcher and Mr. Wizard. Gone. Damn!!!

Programbo
06-16-2007, 22:04
Aww..This is sad news...I know his books inspired a lot of us "oldtimers" back before this internet thing was created and the hiking circle was very scattered and out of touch with each other

mweinstone
06-17-2007, 11:04
very big force disturbance.

Panzer1
06-17-2007, 11:34
Yea, I read that book too. It was one of the first good books I read on hiking and gear.

Panzer

eArThworm
06-17-2007, 11:46
BTW, Which adventure was it where he paddled a boat into Mexico (am I confusing him with Chris McCandless?) and walked to the ocean in California.... I read it many years ago, but cannot recall which book it ws in.

The book is "River: One man's journey down the Colorado, source to sea" -- see http://www.adventurejournalist.com/notebook/archives/001033.html He's now on a new Journey. Both of my greatest loves, Abbey & Fletcher, are now gone. RIP

K0OPG
06-17-2007, 12:57
God rest his soul. Happy trails to you Colin Fletcher.

Pringles
06-17-2007, 14:38
Mags posted some quotes which folks seemed to like, I believe they were from Fletcher's backpacking books. His book River, which was about going source to sea on the Colorado had some good quotes, too. At least they spoke to me.

"I was, it seemed, a sucker for bright colored dreams that involved traveling under my own steam, preferably on foot, from a well-defined A to a well-defined B-not in order to get from one of these points to the other, but to discover and relish what lay between." (p. 6 of whichever edition I have)

"I needed something to pare the fat off my soul, to scare the s**t out of me, to make me grateful, again, for being alive." (p. 7, same edition)

"As the years rolled by, many things in life became more difficult but more rewarding. Backpacking for example, you found yourself caring less about the miles and more about delight." (p. 25)

"The less there is between you and the environment, the more you appreciate the environment." (p. 102)

RIP.

Beth

K0OPG
06-23-2007, 08:33
Upon reading this post, I went to books-a-million and ordered a book of his. I have only read the complete hiker (a couple of times) so I look forward to other readings.

GodSpeed and thanks for everything you've given us.

mudhead
06-23-2007, 08:39
"The Thousand Mile Summer", was cool.

Reread it last winter, way dated, but amusing.

atraildreamer
06-23-2007, 10:25
I heard a nice tribute to Colin Fletcher on NPR's Weekend Edition this morning. :sun

They had Chip Rawlins, Colin's co-author of the last edition of "The Complete Walker", speaking with show host Linda Wertheimer.

Chip read a passage from the book which brought a tear to my eye. :(

Here is the link for the broadcast. The audio will be available after 12 noon, EDT, today.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11326165

Colin will be sorely missed, but long remembered. :)

oldbear
06-23-2007, 12:30
Via con Dios Colin Fletcher.
Colin Fletcher's writing's and hiking philosophy were a huge influence on me as a newbie backpacker.
I inhaled CW1 as if I was a convert to a new religion -and in so very many ways I was
He was always in my head when I hiked the length of the Tonto Trail in GCNP and then made the Escalante /Beamer Rts connection to the Confluence of the Little Colorado . I even made camp the way he did - no tent and sleeping leaning up against my pack.
During the nasty scramble up Unkar Overlook , I remember that when he described it in the MWWTT the River was so low [because of damn construction ] that he walked around Unkar at river level -WOW!
Later on that day I made camp in the area that he swam across the River on an air mattress from . I was intently staring at the very short distance across the River visualizing a bald man on an air matrress swimming across it. It doesn't look all that hard to do , But then you visualize yourself out there, alone , at the bottom of the Grand Canyon ,using a vessel that is not exactly known for it's stability and you realize exactly how much courage it took to do that short crossing.
Colin Fletcher will be missed.

jrwiesz
06-25-2007, 03:31
Via con Dios Colin Fletcher.
Colin Fletcher's writing's and hiking philosophy were a huge influence on me as a newbie backpacker.
I inhaled CW1 as if I was a convert to a new religion -and in so very many ways I was
He was always in my head when I hiked the length of the Tonto Trail in GCNP and then made the Escalante /Beamer Rts connection to the Confluence of the Little Colorado . I even made camp the way he did - no tent and sleeping leaning up against my pack.
During the nasty scramble up Unkar Overlook , I remember that when he described it in the MWWTT the River was so low [because of damn construction ] that he walked around Unkar at river level -WOW!
Later on that day I made camp in the area that he swam across the River on an air mattress from . I was intently staring at the very short distance across the River visualizing a bald man on an air matrress swimming across it. It doesn't look all that hard to do , But then you visualize yourself out there, alone , at the bottom of the Grand Canyon ,using a vessel that is not exactly known for it's stability and you realize exactly how much courage it took to do that short crossing.
Colin Fletcher will be missed.
Did you happen upon that cave dwelling he mentioned in TMWWTT?
Sounds like you had a great time.

Auntie Mame
06-25-2007, 21:27
I just read this news, and don't know how I missed it earlier: incredible loss. Colin Fletcher had the knack of honoring what worked yet still being willing to try what might work better. He seemed to radically detach from the appallingly single-minded drive of the current economy: more, better, faster, newer.
As someone else said, before the internet the hiking types were a very scattered bunch. His books were heartening, fun and informative. I felt invited to enjoy the outdoors. I believe he deftly underplayed the level of skills he had, thus softening the reader's possible tendency to feel awed by him, and enhancing our belief in our own capabilities.
Sad.

oldbear
06-25-2007, 22:46
Re :Cave dwelling
I don't think so . There is what appears to be a mine shaft dug into the rock at Boucher Creek . No doubt that Louis Boucher the "Hermit " of Hermit Creek dug it. I didn't stay in it though.

pyroman53
06-25-2007, 23:11
Colin was a prophet back in the day when we were disconnected from one another. All we had were a few friends who hiked, and this guy who we idolized. We were kids and if we weren't out together, we were soloing parts of the AT, (back when few were doing it). All we had was Colin's book and a few catalogues to figure out the equipment. In spite of his lengthy discussions about equipment, it was never really about that. It was the journey. Back in the day, as a teenager, it was all about proving to myself that I could be alone for a weekend or a week. Now its just about being out there with nature. His tales of cloud shadow watching still inspire me. Only a fellow hiker could relate. He will always be with me in the back of my mind. I agree, his description of the routine while waking is perhaps the finest verbalization of what trail life can be. Its not my routine, but I have routines that are equally significant. He was my original inspiration, and what better tribute to a person's life than to say "He made a difference!"

V8
06-27-2007, 09:16
Talk about the ultimate in armchair hiking thrills - Colin Fletcher's exceptionally detailed "Complete Walker" books (all 4 editions) are the top of the heap!

Those books and the 2 volume Rodale Press "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" have gotten hauled out every Feb-March or so, when I realize the hiking season is gearing up, and they provide many happy hours of bedtime reading. Of course, it's sleet/snow/freezing cold in Maine at that time of year. Same as in the Smokies, I guess.

Anyway, happy trails, Colin, and thanks!

grquinn
11-11-2007, 16:08
I just found out about Mr. Fletcher passing away via wikipedia.

What a sad day this was for me.

Like many others he was my inspiration in getting started into backpacking.

In the 1970's I hiked the Outer Banks of North Carolina from Nags Head, N.C. to Ocracoke Island,N.C., using a Trailwise pack I ordered from the Ski Hut based on Mr. Fletcher's experiences. What a great pack it was. What a great experience that was.

I was hoping some day to meet him and thank him.

But that is not to be.

Per Mare Per Terram

Semper Fidelis

Best,

G.R.

ed bell
11-11-2007, 18:04
I heard a nice tribute to Colin Fletcher on NPR's Weekend Edition this morning. :sun

They had Chip Rawlins, Colin's co-author of the last edition of "The Complete Walker", speaking with show host Linda Wertheimer.

Chip read a passage from the book which brought a tear to my eye. :(

Here is the link for the broadcast. The audio will be available after 12 noon, EDT, today.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11326165

Colin will be sorely missed, but long remembered. :)Sorry you just found out about his passing, grquinn. I was saddened to hear of it as well. I heard he was still getting over being struck by a car while walking near his home. Considering what a dedicated walker he was, it seemed cruel that an automobile would have something to do with his decline. The link above is worth a listen, and I am glad to be reminded of him again as the year winds down. For those here who are unfamilliar with him: check his works out. You will not be disappointed. He is a legend in the backpacking world.:sun

Tinker
11-11-2007, 23:05
I didn't know he'd passed until reading this post today. He was one of the great old men of modern day backpacking, er, walking. Even the way he spoke of hiking - walking - showed his love of the simplicity of this aspect of life which we, too, find so captivating and fulfilling. He will be missed by many.

grquinn
11-12-2007, 18:28
Sorry you just found out about his passing, grquinn. I was saddened to hear of it as well. I heard he was still getting over being struck by a car while walking near his home. Considering what a dedicated walker he was, it seemed cruel that an automobile would have something to do with his decline. The link above is worth a listen, and I am glad to be reminded of him again as the year winds down. For those here who are unfamilliar with him: check his works out. You will not be disappointed. He is a legend in the backpacking world.:sun

Thanks for the link to NPR, ed.

What an interesting man he was. Besides being the most influential walker/backpacker of our time, he was a Royal Marine during WWII.

He may not have liked to hear me say it, but he was one of my heroes.

Thanks again, ed.

G.R.