PDA

View Full Version : in camp warmth, vest / jacket

cburnett
10-03-2003, 14:59
Greetings and Peace to you reader,

I'm planning a through hike starting late March 04. I currently have mid-weight tops and bottoms. But I'm certain this will not be adequate for warmth in camp. I’ve spoken with a 2000 miler who said I should expect three blizzards. With this in mind I am considering making a vest / jacket /sweater

I hope to have a gear that will (in order of preference)

a) allow relative comfort in camp at +25 f.
b) be wind resistant and water resistant
c) light (under one pound)
d) pockets]
e) breathable
f) high collar
g) durable [ if it isn’t what should I have to protect it? Currently I carry a RED LEGDE ‘thunderlight parka”]

Considerations:
Insulation for warmth
Shell for wind break / vapor & precipitation barrier
Weight, Cost, Compressibility
Relative ease of construction

1) Insulations

· Have I forgotten any options.
· Down - [+] light, warm, compressible [-] the whole loses loft when wet thing
· Synthetics – [+] warm, lighter then fleece, more compressible then fleece, [-] heavier then down ----- I’m not clear on all the varieties, WHERE is the BEST information on which material does best?
· Fleece – [+] warm, cheap, [-]heavy

2) Shells –
I understand some manufactures make lightweight gear with the lightest material, but at the cost of durability.
?’s
a) Should I then carry a windbreaker (different then raingear) to supplement winter cloths?
b) Should I just incorporate the desired resultant in the shell decision

Materials – silnylon, nylon, ripstop, DWR (what is this?), what else?
i) silnylon – [+]waterproof, wind resistant, light [-] not breathable
ii) nylon - [+] durable, breathable [-] heavier,
iii) ripstop – [+] water resistant, light, wind resistant?
iv) DWR – I don’t know what this is

3) Weight, Cost, Compression
a. Keep weight and cost to minimum, and compression to a max.
4) Construction
? what thread goes with what material?
1) Fleece = easiest 2) fleece & shell 3) synthetic & shell 4)down &shell = hardest
Will be my first sewing project (I’ve made four unique stoves thus far)

5) Defining pattern options
a.) jacket --full zip or pullover with .5 zip / button
b.) vest -- full zip or pullover with .5 zip or no zip (sweater vest)
c.) sweater -- long sleeved, maybe turtle neck

Any feedback for my questions or ideas and information of manufactured items that meet my desires would be nice and appreciated. I will continue to my research.

Thanks and Blessings,
IV

tlbj6142
10-03-2003, 15:18
Check out Montane (http://www.montane.co.uk), Montbell (http://www.montbell.com/english/index.html) and MEC's (http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp) in-house brand. All three make jackets to fit exactly what your looking for.

Also, don't "expect" all of these to be "outerware". Some of the products in this category assume you'll have some type of shell to protect the jacket/sweater from wind and/or rain.

smokymtnsteve
10-03-2003, 15:31
the more lighter layers the better..that way you are more adjustable and by storing them separately ..at least part of your layers will be dry...

chris
10-03-2003, 16:07
You might check out www.thru-hiker.com for sewing projects and needs. The web person there seems to be very into sewing.

Personally, for non-winter conditions, I use a MEC Northern Lite II pullover (www.mec.ca). It is insulated with Primaloft and is at least as warm as the polartec 300 jacket it replaced. Plus, a lot lighter and much more compressible. Combined with midweight thermals and a shell of some sort (softshell, frogg toggs, goretex, etc), it makes for a pretty warm and flexible set up. With the usual other stuff, this is what I take down to freezing or so. Mine has about 4,000 miles on it and the insulation is starting to deloft a bit. I think I can get one more long hike out of it. Then, I'll probably spring for a Western Mountaineering Flight jacket.

If I was going to start in late March, I would probably take the pullover for my main insulation piece, with perhaps an added light fleece pullover for added protection.

jigsaw
10-04-2003, 19:31
i also have the northern lite pullover. its great camp wear and packs down small. the only downside is it has no pockets. but it makes a great pillow!

CanoeBlue
10-04-2003, 19:49
I have an MEC northern Lite jacket - slightly heavier than the vest because of arms and a light zipper - it does have pockets - one of which doubles as a stuff bag. It is PrimaLoft, so will handle moisture better than down and still packs in to a reasonable bundle. I cannot attest to durability because I have only had it for a little over a year but it seems to have held up well.

walkerat99
10-05-2003, 07:46
I guess I was very lucky that I never had to endure 3 blizzards while hiking the AT. In the both of my hikes in late March and early April, I saw less than an inch of snow both times and it was only below freezing 2 nights, and that was high altitude. Either I was very lucky, or the person that told you about the 3 blizzards was very unlucky... What does others think? Just wondering..

Ed

smokymtnsteve
10-05-2003, 11:15
only below freezing 2 nights,,,,,you were very lucky!!! but 1999 was a warm dry year..there was a heavy late spring snow that year in the smokies....mid march if I remember correctly..

DebW
11-13-2003, 16:06
the more lighter layers the better..that way you are more adjustable and by storing them separately ..at least part of your layers will be dry...

I strongly agree with this statement. Layers give you versatility for both hiking and camp. I go with 2 pair of long underwear for my legs in cold weather and can wear them both together if need be, with regular pants and nylon wind/rain pants over them. If one pair of long johns fits tightly and the other a little looser, this will work. On my upper body, I can wear a long underwear shirt, a thin wool shirt, a fleece vest, and 2 fleece pullover jackets, with a wind shell on top. Most of my fleece has come from the Goodwill. If you make a down vest or jacket, it will have to be used in camp only to keep it dry. If you might have to hike in it, go with synthetic insulation, or just pick up some cheap fleece at a sale or 2nd hand shop. Remember that wind protection is necessary both in camp and while hiking, so don't make your wind protection part of an insulated layer.