PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: Pearisburg to Catawba

trippclark
06-15-2007, 16:33
Last week I completed a 72 mile, 5+ day, section from Pearisburg to Catawba. Weather was amazing. The terrain was more taxing than I anticipated and arguably as challenging as anything that I had encountered in the 600+ miles south of there. I don't think that I would classify it as "hard," but it was more challenging than expected. There were also several rather long sections between water sources. I had a great time and can't wait to get back out on the trail. In case anyone is interested, I have posted lots of pictures from this trip at http://www.trippclark.com/at.htm (bottom link button on the left). There is also a link to the trailjournals account of the trip.

BlackCloud
06-18-2007, 08:28
Hike north from there.

It gets hard!

1n the Sun
06-19-2007, 07:51
welcome to my home terrority...glad you enjoyed some of my favorite day hikes. you'll love tinkers cliffs!

trippclark
06-19-2007, 12:30
welcome to my home terrority...glad you enjoyed some of my favorite day hikes. you'll love tinkers cliffs!

Yeah, I hear that is a neat place. I am hoping that I can fit in a short section (probably 30 - 40 miles) in October. I have not really started planning it yet but I am thinking that I may do it southbound so that it ends up with McAfee Knob and another great meal at the Homeplace. Any suggestion on a good starting point that would be easily accessible and would fall 30 - 40 +/- miles north of Catawba?

1n the Sun
06-20-2007, 09:28
yes...start at windrock, past the mountain lake resort. It's a ridge walk for the first 3-4 miles, then into John's Creek, up Kelly's Knobs, across sinking creek, then a long ridge walk past the Audey Murphy Monument to Dragon's Tooth and on to McAfee's Knob,...

That's 40+ miles...if you start on Rt 42 on sinking creek, you hike less than 30.

Climbing McAfee's Knob and endingthe trip there means hiking an up and back to rt311, unless you wanna drive about an hour of country lands and forest service roads to get to the not particularly accessible road access under the cliffs in the valley below.

trippclark
06-20-2007, 10:10
yes...start at windrock, past the mountain lake resort. It's a ridge walk for the first 3-4 miles, then into John's Creek, up Kelly's Knobs, across sinking creek, then a long ridge walk past the Audey Murphy Monument to Dragon's Tooth and on to McAfee's Knob,...

That's 40+ miles...if you start on Rt 42 on sinking creek, you hike less than 30.

Climbing McAfee's Knob and endingthe trip there means hiking an up and back to rt311, unless you wanna drive about an hour of country lands and forest service roads to get to the not particularly accessible road access under the cliffs in the valley below.

Oops, sorry, I guess I was not clear. I just completed that portion. I hiked northbound from Pearisburg to Catawba for 72 miles including the portion you describe here. My next hike will be, I hope, a 30 - 40 mile section southbound from some yet to be determined starting point north of Catawba and ending below McAfee Knob at Catawba again. Can you suggest a good starting point that is 30-40 miles north of Catawba?

CherrypieScout
06-20-2007, 10:22
I hiked that section last year - Black HOrse GAp to Pearisberg. I did not anticipate Dragon's Tooth, but made it. Enjoyed the hike. This summer I am hiking Black HOrse GAp to Humpback Mtn. Any advice? Would my car be safer at Blcak HOrse GAp or Humpback Mtn? I am hiking in July