PDA

View Full Version : help me find a pack

Rockjay420
06-15-2007, 19:03
First of all, this is my first post, I would like to thank the creators of the n00b articles. I learned more reading this forum than 4 years as a boy scout. I am 18, live in hawaii and I am seeking an adventure on the AT starting late july south bound from Baxter.

Ive had previous experience with external and internal packs, I find externals much more comfortable as they take the weight off my shoulders and instead on my hips.
I am 6 foot 5 and I was wondering what size pack would be comfortable for me. (theres no outfitter over here that i can try on packs) :( Will a large do?
I am on a budget of under 100$, wieght = preferably under 6lbs, room for a sleeping bag, 2man tent, 4 days food, water etc.
I found a few that look alright, but im no expert so please, critisize. http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=14753288&memberId=12500226
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KN9J1S/ref=nosim/?tag=yahoo-sg-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B000KN9J1S&linkCode=asn
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/311,85742_Kelty-Trekker-Backpack-LE-3950-.html Best pack for me on a 100 dollar budget>? any ideas?

Pacific Tortuga
06-15-2007, 19:12
ULA Catalyst, size large 2 & 1/2 pounds, good luck.

Revolutionist_Rob
06-15-2007, 19:18
Well it isnt your height persay, but your torso length. Google how to measure your torso (vertical measurement) and you will see pack sizes that will fit them, like smalls could be 16-18inch torsos, mediums 18-21, and larges like 21-23. That should help you narrow down what will fit for you. And as for externals shifting weight to your hips better that isnt really a external vs internal issue, its really the quality of the internals suspension. I've used some internals that transfer it really well, and some that do it really poorly. Gotta find someone who's used that pack. I'd suggest starting your search with Granite Gear with their vapor trail and other such packs, or with the ULA Circuit. I recently picked up a MontBell Versalite 50 but I dont think it would fit you, great pack that transfers weight to your hips though. Just dont buy until you read reviews and ask around forums like these if you dont have the ability to try on the pack. I never tried this pack on, just researched packs extensively.

Lyle
06-15-2007, 19:57
OK,

While I agree that ULA makes FANTASTIC packs, the Catalyst is more than twice his budget.

The frame packs worked very well for many years. Kelty was a top tier manufacturer back in the 70's and 80's. They still make some good equipment, but I guess they aren't the "sure thing" that they used to be. If this is all you can afford, then don't be put off, but you may want to look around a bit more first.

Of the ones you listed I would probably go with the Treker.

The Yukon is designed for kids to grow with, or for small framed women. At 18, I would guess that you need a full-on mens size pack unless you are also small framed. edit: OK, 6'5"? You will definatly need a mens size!

Think about going more towards the Ultralight, it saves you a lot of wear and tear on your body, but you have to be more careful with your gear. Check these out:

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/xdpy/s/Packing/index.html

As I said, no reason a frame pack won't work, they have for years. But the general consensus these days is that with all the other gear getting lighter and the philosophy of going LIGHT WEIGHT, that frame packs are overkill. The old addage, if you have all that room in your pack, you will find something to fill it is true.

Best of luck, I sure wish I had started long-distance hiking at your age. You will learn as you go, the important thing is to go!

map man
06-15-2007, 21:39
I've been using an external frame pack for the last two years and have been very happy with it so I'm glad to see a young guy who is not afraid to buck today's trend and go with the external. Unfortunately, the pack I've had good luck with (LuxuryLite) is out of your price range. Of those you linked to, the Kelty Yukon looks a little small (3000 cubic inches) unless you really go ultralight, the Outdoor Products Saturn seems bigger than most long distance hikers are lugging these days (4800 cubic inches), while the Kelty Trekker is in between (3950 cubic inches) and right around the sweet spot for volume that a lot of long distance hikers have sucess with. I don't know anything about Outdoor Products' reputation but I do know there are a fair number of hikers who bought Kelty external frame packs in the 80s and 90s who still can, and do, use them today.

You will find that most hikers who got their start this decade have never used an external frame pack so finding advice about them based on experience is tougher than finding informed opinions about internal frame packs on this site and elsewhere.

PJ 2005
06-16-2007, 00:40
I would highly recommend a GG Vapor Trail... it's slightly over your budget (on sale for 125) but it's been a thru hiker favorite for years.

http://www.prolitegear.com/cgi-bin/prolitegear/granite_gear_vapor_trail_pl

greentick
06-16-2007, 03:02
One size fits all!:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Alice-Pack-with-Frame-Kidney-Pad-and-Straps_W0QQitemZ160127719103QQihZ006QQcategoryZ361 10QQcmdZViewItem

smokymtnsteve
06-16-2007, 03:40
yea man that would work

psedu- wilderness

to boldy go where other foks with really cool gear have gone before!

don't forget your guide book!

littlelaurel59
06-16-2007, 09:40
as an old guy who had his start in backpacking back in the 70's, i can vouch for external frame packs. i have gone the lightweight route now and am using a vapor trail, but externals still have their benefits.

i agree with those who favor the kelty trekker from the list you presented. reasonable size, reasonable weight. lots of pockets to help you organize your gear.

one of the long-standing recommendations for chosing a pack is to collect all your gear, then find a pack to fit it. since you don't have a local outfitter, you will have to order a pack, try it out, and send it back if it doesn't work. this should not be a problem with sierra trading post. i have had excellent customer service from them through the years.

i wish you good hiking.

blindeye
06-16-2007, 10:25
granite gear vapor trail 2pounds good luck

taildragger
06-16-2007, 16:42
check out spadout.com for some prices. As for external, I used to (and still do somewhat) use an external coleman peak 1, I grabbed it for about $50 or so from campmor. It's been a decent pack, very uncormfortable if heavily loaded.

I can tell you that I miss being able to last everything to the outside of my external, doesn't work as well with an internal, for me the balance of the internal was the tradeoff.

Rockjay420
06-18-2007, 06:39
Measured my torso at 22", thanks for the advice guys. After hearing from Rob i am also open to internal packs that can distribute the weight comfortably. I have heard of many good brands of gear, (kelty, eureka, the north face, etc), can you tell me of brands i should absolutely stay away from? What is the Ideal pack weight>? What kind of pack materials should i look for?
Im a little skeptical about the vapor trail, looks like it only has one big pockets and not very many options to adjust it.
The amry backpack is, well, a little to hard core for me.
I am concerned with the ultra lights durability, I want a pack that can last me the whole trail, without tearing or the frame bending or snapping because of a fall, slip, or ferocious bear attack.
I see a lot of posts about the Osprey Atmos (insert number here), whats the deal with this line of packs?
Best place online to shop for gear other than ebay, campmor, and sierra trading post?

taildragger
06-18-2007, 08:44
I personally like my gregory pack, and I know that ebags was having a sale on them (I picked up my whitney there for $200)

Osprey makes phenomenal packs, I was talked out of getting one since I might try to get into mountaineering and the salesman was wondering if an osprey aether would hold up, had I just been doing the AT (lol, just the AT :D) then he wouldn't have doubted them.

But those packs are somewhat expensive (but the gregory z55 is supposed to be oh so sweet!). If you need something lower cost, look into Kelty again, they make good products for the cost.

As for ultra light packs, you should be fine with them as long as you are staying within the proper weight load, if you're taking an ultralight and somehow stuffing 55lbs in it, then I would imagine that it would start to fall apart, but if you're staying in the 30lbs range, then they should be fine.

Ferocious bear attack, I'd be more worried about a rabid possum, or the guys from deliverance. Black bears are like large racoons, they'll eat your trash and food, but will usually run from humans, and props if you actually see a bear on the trip, most people are either too blind to notice any wildlife, or are far too loud to see anything more than a squirrel, or the white flag of a deer. Besides, if you're in ultralight gear, you'll be able to outrun that bear right?:-?

Revolutionist_Rob
06-18-2007, 23:29
Well, It's hard to say what pack you really want. An average pack weight would probably be 25-35lbs depending on what sort of amnenities you wish to bring with you. And suggesting a pack material is particularly difficult because there are several different kinds that all have different purposes. Choosing a pack, like many other backpacking items, is a compromise between several points. You wont find lightweight and durable. Like my friend says with car shopping- fast, cheap, good - Pick 2. I have a few packs-- I have a 5000cu Kelty that was inexpensive and durable, but it weighs 6lbs (very heavy). I have a mont bell versalite 50 that is very light (2lbs 8oz) and it was fairly inexpensive (130$) but you can tell the material isnt going to be that durable. But it will hold up if I take care of it.

You know, dont get attacked by ferocious bears, dont throw it around and overload it. If a packs rated for 30lbs stay below 30lbs. dont put sharp objects in it, you know just be nice to the pack and itll be nice to you. Granite Gear, Gregory, Kelty, GoLite, MontBell, ULA, North Face... Just stay away from other brands that you dont really know like say, Outdoor Research or house-brand packs like REI or Campmor or anything found within walmart. I'm not personally too fond of Lowe Alpine either.

What I would do is write down a list of things you 'require' like Under 3lbs, 3000cu, Good Suspension. Or whatever it is you want and look for and compare bags that have those features, it will rapidly narrow the field down for you.

taildragger
06-18-2007, 23:42
In response to the above, I personally like the Mars pack by REI, just do your homework beforehand

BTW, heres a good source http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/