PDA

View Full Version : Getting fruity smell out of Gatorade bottlecaps?

Dirtygaiters
06-16-2007, 18:16
Hello all,
This is a wonderfully informative forum, and for my first post, I'm asking a question that I couldn't find an answer to by doing regular searches.

I'm sure there are a lot of people here who use Gatorade bottles for water. In principle, I'm very excited about this idea because of how light and also strong these bottles are, but taking a flavor-tinted sip of supposedly pure water isn't easy for me. I can't seem to get the odor of the original Gatorade flavoring out of the orange cap. I tried dishwashing, I tried leaving it exposed to the air. Any hints?

BTW, I'm using standard .6 liter sized bottles.

Thanks in advance.

greentick
06-16-2007, 19:07
Try hot water mixed with white vinegar. Worked well in a platy bladder that I had filled with gatorade.

bullseye
06-16-2007, 21:31
I use the 20 ounce gatorade bottles for water with my lunch. If you have the patience the taste will eventually fade away. I've found that no matter how much I scrub them it usually takes a while to get them taste free.

Yahtzee
06-16-2007, 21:48
Why, oh why would you want to get the smell out? That is half the joy of carrying Gatorade bottles. I get the Fierce Grape and the smell lasts until I can get to the next town and pick up a new bottle. Smell, I was told as a child, is 70% of taste. If, like most things I was told as a child, that is only half true, that is still 35% of great tasting water. Don't kid yourself, not every spring and creek tastes good. Sure you could suck it up, but for this Gatorade bottle carrier, I ask, "why would you?".

Dirtygaiters
06-17-2007, 00:47
Why, oh why would you want to get the smell out? That is half the joy of carrying Gatorade bottles. I get the Fierce Grape and the smell lasts until I can get to the next town and pick up a new bottle. Smell, I was told as a child, is 70% of taste. If, like most things I was told as a child, that is only half true, that is still 35% of great tasting water. Don't kid yourself, not every spring and creek tastes good. Sure you could suck it up, but for this Gatorade bottle carrier, I ask, "why would you?".

When dealing with water bottles, I'm always wondering how long the water has been fresh. For instance, I like to use nalgenes and refilled aquafina bottles around the house, sometimes on my nightstand. Every time I take a sip, there's a little backwash, and especially if I just ate something, the backwash can add just enough organic material into the water for the development of bacteria, sometimes so bad that there's a noticeable smell. When I drink from a water bottle that has any odor, sewar-smell or diluted orange gatorade, I think of this... It's just a personal hangup, I guess. Smell can add to taste, but I like my water to be odor-free.

katagious
06-17-2007, 10:39
When dealing with water bottles, I'm always wondering how long the water has been fresh. For instance, I like to use nalgenes and refilled aquafina bottles around the house, sometimes on my nightstand. Every time I take a sip, there's a little backwash, and especially if I just ate something, the backwash can add just enough organic material into the water for the development of bacteria, sometimes so bad that there's a noticeable smell. When I drink from a water bottle that has any odor, sewar-smell or diluted orange gatorade, I think of this... It's just a personal hangup, I guess. Smell can add to taste, but I like my water to be odor-free.
I have the same hangup :( In fact, I really hate using plastic cups at all..I think maybe some of us have a sensitivity to the plastic itself..their always seems to be some sort of lingering odor...bleah.

At any rate...the three things I know to use are ...
1. As stated previously...vinegar..but, there seems to be a vinegarie..(ey?) smell that lingers.. icky..
2. Bleach..it gets it all new looking and takes any stains out..but then there are health concerns with bleach residue.
3. Baking Soda! Baking soda gets stains out and smells..and tends to not leave any type of residual odor or taste...plus..it's not toxic! YAY BAKING SODA!
:banana

mweinstone
06-17-2007, 18:43
the end of time is at hand. do you really have time for this nonsence? no. you dont is the answer. suck up to the fact that your drinkin flavored water sucker.get over it. me a mench. or wench or tranny or somethin. but dont be a leftover oder wenie. its attitudes like these that stiffle creativity and harm your chi. whatever the hell that is. the point is, i hate this thread. im all out on this one but i wish you luck. try putting it in the trash for a while.

Dirtygaiters
06-17-2007, 20:05
mweinstone,

:-?

-Dirtygaiters

saimyoji
06-18-2007, 08:16
the end of time is at hand. do you really have time for this nonsence? no. you dont is the answer. suck up to the fact that your drinkin flavored water sucker.get over it. me a mench. or wench or tranny or somethin. but dont be a leftover oder wenie. its attitudes like these that stiffle creativity and harm your chi. whatever the hell that is. the point is, i hate this thread. im all out on this one but i wish you luck. try putting it in the trash for a while.

Yup. 567890