PDA

View Full Version : looking for new pair of mens hiking shorts..it's frustrating

DavidNH
06-16-2007, 22:55
Well..I have been starting to look for a new pair of mens hiking shorts. Have some pairs already of course but they get worn and my legs are larger than they once were (heck all that hiking!).

Frustrating thing to me is that the shorts (maybe due to style) are getting longer and longer so that now you get like 9 inch inseams and they go to knee length or even longer. That interferes with freedom of movement.

doesn't anyone sell good strong rugged quick dry mens hiking shorts that are truly shorts. I like rugged material that dries quick, velcro or zipper pockets, not too baggy or too snug and less than knee length so I have full freedom of movement. Is that asking so much?

What do you guys buy for hiking shorts?

David

Tennessee Viking
06-16-2007, 23:28
When its cold weather or high weeds, I usually wear just some long legged sports or sweat pants. For my warm weather and water crossing treks, I usually go with some athletic mesh shorts. I usually buy the cheap but somewhat durable stuff at major retailers. But the mesh shorts are great and airy. They feel very comfortable in hot and muggy weather.

Target carries Champions C9 or Jerzee brand which is pretty good, and about $20 cheaper compared to some outrageous outfitters. They have a couple styles of hiking shorts with a adjustable locking belt.

jrwiesz
06-17-2007, 00:07
Well..I have been starting to look for a new pair of mens hiking shorts. Have some pairs already of course but they get worn and my legs are larger than they once were (heck all that hiking!).

Frustrating thing to me is that the shorts (maybe due to style) are getting longer and longer so that now you get like 9 inch inseams and they go to knee length or even longer. That interferes with freedom of movement.

doesn't anyone sell good strong rugged quick dry mens hiking shorts that are truly shorts. I like rugged material that dries quick, velcro or zipper pockets, not too baggy or too snug and less than knee length so I have full freedom of movement. Is that asking so much?

David

I've had pleasant results with the Sportsman Guide brand Zip-off pants/shorts. Nylon fabric, quick drying, mesh liner, plenty of pockets (some velcro, some zippered), relatively short inseam for the shorts, reasonable price, relatively warm with the leg sections attatched, great variety in sizes to choose from.
Check them out here: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=151500
And the leg sections fit nicely into the cargo pockets of the shorts. You can't beat them for $20.:-?

SunnyWalker
06-17-2007, 00:14
Chrck out Campmoor. -SunnyWalker

SunnyWalker
06-17-2007, 00:16
One more message/reply. I must confess, I like to use cotton (Oh,oh!) shorts that are khaki, bout at Old Navy. In winter I would not of course. This is cuz I like pockets in my shorts.

-SunnyWalker

fiddlehead
06-17-2007, 03:53
The best shorts i have used (held up the longest) were from Patagonia. I think they called them river shorts. I just found a similar pair from New Balance. They are running shorts and seem to be made out of the same lightweight, smooth nylon with excellent inside mesh or mesh-like material that is soft and not prone to rash.
I just ran in the Phuket Marathon this morning in them and they felt a lot like the Patagonia. Hiking shorts is one of those things that i think you get what you pay for. so, the more you pay, the better they are
Good luck and happy hiking.
Oh yeah, if you don't like the length simply cause it's too long, just have them cut and hemmed by a seamstress, tailor, alteration shop, or Mom (or grandmom) or, do it yourself. that's a poor excuse for not having comfortable shorts. (IMO of course. )

mudhead
06-17-2007, 04:01
http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/product_focus.jsp?OPTION=PRODUCT_FOCUS_DISPLAY_HAN DLER&style_color=57016-849&patcatcode=MAIN_SP07_US.CLOTHING_GEAR.MENS.SHORTS. ACTIVE/TECHNICAL

I thought $36 was alot. Then I wore them. Bought two more at $18.

Now I see they have colors that are civilized.

Too late for me, they wear like iron.

I dislike pockets as well as knee length shorts.

Peaks
06-17-2007, 07:05
Many times EMS has been more fashion than function, but I wear their shorts for hiking. A couple of years ago they sold them as "Pack and go shorts." If they don't make that model anymore, I'm sure they have others.

And yes, style these days is longer shorts. But nothing that can't be fixed with a pair of scissors.

Egads
06-17-2007, 07:51
I use nylon running shorts w/ liner under my Ex Officio convertables.

It's quick drying and flexible for varying conditions.

I found cotton yo be heavy and cause a rash or worse when wet.

Rambler
06-17-2007, 08:33
http://www.railriders.com/men-sawtooth-hiking-shorts-p-904.html?cPath=104_112

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-17-2007, 09:29
I have cut off a couple of inches of the male dino shorts and re-hemmed them as he doesn't care for knee length hiking shorts. This way you can get the pockets and features you want and the shorter length.

oldbear
06-17-2007, 11:44
Check with LL Bean , they have a large selection of 6" inseam shorts in assorted colors , fabrics and styles.

wilconow
06-17-2007, 12:40
what about running shorts? i just wear a pair of asics and under armour boxer briefs to prevent chafing

Ewker
06-17-2007, 13:22
these shorts aren't to bad

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=250402

mudhead
06-17-2007, 17:34
these shorts aren't to bad

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=250402

That place has alot of decent, well priced stuff. Can't buy shorts for $12 at Walmart.

Phreak
06-17-2007, 22:27
Ex Officio Amphi

jrwiesz
06-18-2007, 00:46
That place has alot of decent, well priced stuff. Can't buy shorts for $12 at Walmart.

I have spent plenty of $$ at that site. However, just this week-end, I fired off a e-mail to their customer service to let them know of my dismay over their trend of the past year or so, to do a lot of drop shipping. And to comment to the fact that their prices are starting to get to the point that one can buy name brand products [Kelty, Merrill, etc] that they carry, just as cheap, or cheaper at the actual manufacturers site and other retailers sites. No reply from SPG as of yet. I will admit, however, that some of their Guide Gear is of reasonable price and of good quality as I mentioned in a previous post in this forum.

Time To Fly 97
06-18-2007, 08:39
Try calling some school uniform companies for running shorts, etc. They will usually sell samples very inexpensively to someone who represents a potentially large order.

Happy hiking!

TTF

slowandlow
06-18-2007, 09:55
Second the motion on Ex Officio Amphi shorts: not too long, not too short, mesh liner, good pockets, lightweight and stay clean. Mine have over 1000 AT miles and show no sign of wear.

icemanat95
06-18-2007, 11:38
I tend to go with river/water shorts or running shorts myself. I have plenty of places to stow stuff on my pack and don't like stuff swinging around in my pockets when I hike, neither am I a big fan of thick waistbands with belts and the like causing irritation under the hipbelt of my pack.

Bathing suits work out pretty well actually. Though I hate the mesh linings. I cut them out and either go without or add my own preference of underwear.

Very quick drying, lightweight, doesn't build up under the hipbelt. Simple pockets for the in town stuff, but no temptation to stuff anything in them for the actual walking. You can also find them in lengths that aren't too long.

walkingdog
06-18-2007, 13:43
I also use light weight running shorts. They do double duty as swim shorts and dry very quickly.

Footslogger
06-18-2007, 13:49

David
============================================

Gave up on the whole "shorts" thing a while ago and began using $9.99 nylon swim suits from WalMart. The white mesh liner rubs me raw so that's the first thing to go. You're left with a light weight, quick drying and inexpensive short with big/deep drainable pockets. Another nice thing about the swimsuit approach is the lack of a buckle that most hiking shorts include. Some times they don't play nice with the buckle on your backpack hipbelt.

'Slogger

Weldman
06-21-2007, 15:51
Try looking at some Speedo's short/ swim shorts. Their lite and does double duty for swimming. I grab a 2 pairs at a Ross for $6 each, came with a WP plastic pouch for money or other items that need to be sealed.