PDA

View Full Version : ?? Moxie Pond stealth site?

lobstergrrrl
10-03-2003, 19:56
Hi All,
I'm new to theforum. I hope I have this message in the right discussion topic. Looking at all the different choices seems a bit overwhelming when you first log in.

I'm planning to hike in Maine, from the Shirley Blanchard Road to Caratunk later this week. I'm planning to spend one night at Moxie Bald lean to, then I was hoping to camp the next night at Moxie Pond. Does anyone know of any tent sites in the area? Is there a place reasonably close to water where I could set my tent up?

Thanks,
-lg

attroll
10-03-2003, 22:50
LG

I can not answer your question about anything between Moxie Pond Road and Pleasant Pond lean-to. That is one stretch I have yet to do. But if you have never hiked from Monson to Moxie Pond you are in for a nice easy hike. I did it Labor Day weekend and had a great time. We averaged 8 miles a day. We took it easy and just had fun. We were not out to get it done fast. The hike along the Piscataquis River was not as great as in years past when I have done it. The water is very low. But it is still an awesome hike. There were plenty of places to get water it is just that the river was not high. All of the water crossings were very easy.

Well just thought I would let you know a little about the hike in case you have never done that section. If you have any more questions feel free to ask me or email me. Sorry I could not answer your question about anything after Moxie Pond Road.

You can read my trip report from Labor Day weekend at this link: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2335&highlight=Monson

lobstergrrrl
10-03-2003, 23:15
Nice TR attroll. Sounds like a good time. I need an easy hike at the moment, so I picked this one. Unfortunately I have cancer, and am not up to par this week. Hiking helps me get back in the groove though. Anyhow, I'm a little concerned about the recent rain, and how this will effect the multiple stream crossings. Some of them sound like major crossings in the map/guide. Baxter Park got 9" of rain at Chimney pond a couple ofdays ago. The weather is going to be quite chilly also. So, wading in water knee deep will be extra cold. Brrrr. It snowed in western Maine last night. It's 35 degrees at my house right now. I'll have to see how things look closer to Thursday.
I'll probably just look for a stealth site around Moxie Pond. I'm sure I can come up with something.

-lg

attroll
10-05-2003, 01:07
I would not worry to much about the rain and water crossings. It would have to rain a heck of a lot. When we went on Labor Day weekend all the river crossings that we re listed as rough were easy. We did not even have to take our hiking boots off. We just rock hopped across all the crossings. There was never a place that was more then ankle deep at the crossing points. I don’t see as we have gotten enough rain to worry about it that bad.

lobstergrrrl
10-05-2003, 21:41
It has been raining relentlessly here. A few days ago Chimney Pond received 9". Millinocket got over 6". I live across the street from the Penobscot River, and the water is covering the rocks I normally kayak around. More rain today. I think I will table the hike from Shirley Blanchard to Caratunk this week, and hike on a section over by Saddleback. No water crossings to fret over. Foliage should be peak. I plan to summit Saddleback if I'm feeling strong enough. Sounds like fine weather for hiking in the forecast.

-lg