PDA

View Full Version : Happy Father's Day

Trillium
06-17-2007, 20:19
Happy Father's Day to all the hiking dads out there!!! I'd like to throw you a kiss but we don't seem to have a smiley for that so I'll just give you a :banana for great job with the kids!!!

There have been threads before about the benefits of going on a hike with kids and I thought that something I read in Persistent's Trail Journal from Saturday, June 9 was appropos today:

Right near Salt Pond Road, I ran into a dad and his young son (couldn't have been more than four/five years old) out for an overnight hike. It was the cutest thing. The little boy ran right up to me and hugged my legs. I asked him if he was having fun and he yelled "yes!" as loud as he could. He had his own backpack and everything. I loved it. I almost wished I could be at the shelter with them tonight to see their routine! We waved goodbye and I was on my merry way.

Keep up the good work teaching your kids your values and interacting with them on a regular basis, particularly instilling a love of nature in them!!

~ trillium ~

camojack
06-17-2007, 20:34
Happy Father's Day to all the hiking dads out there!!! I'd like to throw you a kiss but we don't seem to have a smiley for that so I'll just give you a :banana for great job with the kids!!!

There have been threads before about the benefits of going on a hike with kids and I thought that something I read in Persistent's Trail Journal from Saturday, June 9 was appropos today:

Right near Salt Pond Road, I ran into a dad and his young son (couldn't have been more than four/five years old) out for an overnight hike. It was the cutest thing. The little boy ran right up to me and hugged my legs. I asked him if he was having fun and he yelled "yes!" as loud as he could. He had his own backpack and everything. I loved it. I almost wished I could be at the shelter with them tonight to see their routine! We waved goodbye and I was on my merry way.

Keep up the good work teaching your kids your values and interacting with them on a regular basis, particularly instilling a love of nature in them!!

~ trillium ~

Let's see if this works: http://messenger.msn.com/MMM2006-04-19_17.00/Resource/emoticons/kiss.gif

camojack
06-17-2007, 20:35
Hmmm...sort of, but not really. :-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-17-2007, 21:33
Happy Pappy's Day to all of you fellows who are daddies. Some of the best daddies I know are here and on the hammock forum.

moxie
06-17-2007, 23:02
My father was 92 years old when I thru hiked. He drove to the trail and met me twice, once in NC and once at Port Clinton, PA. He visited me in Maine after I finished and went shopping with me to purchase new clothes as I lost 55 pounds. He was in great health and still driving his own car right up to the shortly before he passed away. After my hike he saw me elected Mayor of my town and I am sorry he didn't see me get sworn into the legislature last week. I miss him very much on this fathers day and all of you hikers that still have fathers enjoy every minute you can with your dads and cherish every adventure you can share with them. I think Dads are wonderful people, especially my two son's dad. (just kidding)

littlelaurel59
06-17-2007, 23:34
Before he could walk, my son went on hikes on by back. At the age of 4, he hiked 5 miles in Glacier NP and saw a griz. At 8, he hiked to 10,000+ feet. We have done several weekend backpacking trips together. Next Saturday, we start on a 50 miler with several scout buddies. Next summer, we will be at Philmont. He is my best outdoor buddy and friend.

My parents introduced me to the mountains and to the outdoors, and it has always been my goal to pass that along to him. It seems to be working.

Mr. Clean
06-18-2007, 20:39
Took my boys up the Ethan Pond trail (AT) to Ripley Falls. The 3 yr old hiked and the one yr old rode in the backpack. The group at the falls said "here comes the youngest hiker" talking about the 1 yr old, and another said, "no, he's the youndest hiker", talking about the 3 yr old. Lots of toads, butterflies, and sticks to grab and play with. Another great day on the AT!

Big Dawg
06-18-2007, 21:24
My first father's day,,, what a joy!!! and at the beach to boot!!! Maybe in a few years it'll be a backpacking trip w/ the youngin!!!!!! :D

Big Dawg
06-18-2007, 21:32
Sorry, couldn't help myself,,, had to share more!! I'm one proud papa!!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-18-2007, 21:42
::: Dino blinks back tears looking at Big Dawg holding his new daughter :::

Passionphish
06-18-2007, 21:44
Thanks! There seems to be a major void of Dads and mention of Father's Day.
Imho

So again, Thanks!!!

peanuts
06-19-2007, 10:19
big dawg, like dino, said, holding back tears. beautifull pictures.