PDA

View Full Version : CDT Hiker Update ...

Footslogger
06-17-2007, 21:42
We're back from the "Winds". Met Sly in Rawlins on Saturday and drove up to Lander. While grabbing lunch in Lander we bumped into "Haiku" who was in town for re-supply. He was headed back out to the trail so the timing was perfect.

After downing some burgers and beer we were off to South Pass City ...well, Atlantic City actually. Sly wanted to be dropped off in Atlantic City so that was the first stop. Then it was off to South Pass City ...a whole 4 miles away by road.

With those two hikers happily back on the trail we (BadAss Turtle and I) headed off to the Sinks Canyon National Park where we hiked in on one of the trails to a gorgeous lake and spent the night.

Woke up this morning, walked back to the trailhead and then drove back to South Pass City and picked up "Cheers" (Terry). Just got back to Laramie and about to fire up the grill and break out the brewkies.

It was a GREAT weekend and special to be able to help out some CDT hikers. Things are pretty far apart in Wyoming and getting rides to/from places can be a challenge. Plus ...we got to tie it all together with a great hike ourselves in the southeast corner of the "Winds".

Life is good ...

'Slogger

Mags
06-18-2007, 12:07
Life is good ...

'Slogger

It is indeed my friend. The Winds rock!

StarLyte
06-23-2007, 16:38
Thanks for the update 'Slog...I spoke to Sly on the phone the night before he rode into Laramie...

I miss Sly too.

Footslogger
06-23-2007, 16:42
Thanks for the update 'Slog...I spoke to Sly on the phone the night before he rode into Laramie...

I miss Sly too.

====================================

YUP ...he told me that !! This past Thursday we put him on a bus to Glacier, MT. He's going to hike back south toward us. His car is at our place in Laramie so I know he'll be here sooner or later.

'Slogger

StarLyte
07-22-2007, 10:09
Sly....

give us an update...

Anyone see him?

Can't stand the thought of phoning him....what if he's viewing elk in a pasture and I ruin his wilderness experience....:D

Footslogger
07-22-2007, 11:38
Sly is sitting next to me at the moment organizing his pics. Got into Laramie yesterday. We cooked out last night and polished off quite a bit of microbrew. Slept in a bit this morning (5:30 AM !!) and then walked into town for coffee and some breakfast.

He turned his ankle a while back and it's kinda swollen but he's hiking on it. Got him a brace last night and iced it down. He should be good to go.

Think he's planning on driving to Rawlins some time today and hooking up with a hiker named Sloetoe to do some miles in the Winds. He has his laptop here and will probably post something himself here (if he hasn't already).

'Slogger

Blister
07-23-2007, 13:04
I am jealous as I sit here and wish I could be out there!!!! Give Sly my love and have a beer on trail for me!!! Last year I spent my birthday outside of Dubois, WY - the year before in Steamboat Springs! At least I can close my eyes and dream! Any sign of Rainman on the trail????

Footslogger
07-23-2007, 13:21
I am jealous as I sit here and wish I could be out there!!!! Give Sly my love and have a beer on trail for me!!! Last year I spent my birthday outside of Dubois, WY - the year before in Steamboat Springs! At least I can close my eyes and dream! Any sign of Rainman on the trail????
===============================

Sly mentioned seeing Rainman and had some pics of him. But Sly's gone now. He headed out (well watered and fed) toward Lander yesterday about 4 PM. Should have made it to Lander by dinner. Pretty sure he's meeting up with Sloetoe and doing some hiking in the Winds/Sinks Canyon area. He left some stuff at our place so I'm sure he'll be headed back to Laramie at some point.

'Slogger

LostInSpace
08-22-2007, 23:49
'Slogger,

Do you have any recommendations for a first time Winds hike? I'm considering the Lizard Head Loop (via Jackass Pass, Grave Lake, Hailey Pass) starting from the Big Sandy Trailhead -- Aug/Sep '08.

Lost

Footslogger
08-23-2007, 08:45
'Slogger,

Do you have any recommendations for a first time Winds hike? I'm considering the Lizard Head Loop (via Jackass Pass, Grave Lake, Hailey Pass) starting from the Big Sandy Trailhead -- Aug/Sep '08.

Lost

===================================

How much time do you have ?? My favorite is the Skyline Trail. I think it's about 80 miles long. As the name implies, it's pretty much all above tree line and the views are spectacular. Other than that, the one you mentioned would probably be second. Easy access out of Big Sandy.

'Slogger

LostInSpace
08-23-2007, 10:27
===================================

How much time do you have ?? My favorite is the Skyline Trail. I think it's about 80 miles long. As the name implies, it's pretty much all above tree line and the views are spectacular. Other than that, the one you mentioned would probably be second. Easy access out of Big Sandy.

'Slogger

Thanks. I have plenty of time ... planning at least a week to make the trip worthwhile. I'll check out the Skyline Trail on my maps.

Lost

Footslogger
08-23-2007, 10:41
Thanks. I have plenty of time ... planning at least a week to make the trip worthwhile. I'll check out the Skyline Trail on my maps.

Lost

=====================================

Brain Fart ...it's called the High Line Trail (not the Sky Line Trail) as I had earlier mentioned. Too early in the morning for me out here. Anyway, here is a reference to the trail.

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/activity/hiking/features/highlife7.htm

'Slogger