PDA

View Full Version : Gear list for your review

Mudchaos
10-05-2003, 10:40
Hi All

I am planning on starting my ‘04 thru-hike late February or early March (I'm sooo excited!!!). The following is the gear list I have worked out so far. Looking for any input on saving weight, anything I may be missing, or anything I may be able to leave behind. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

McHale SubPOP pack, stripped 2900 ci. (42oz)/ with all accessory pouches 4000 ci. (52oz)
Western Mountaineering HighLite 40 degree (small) 15.2 oz w/Exped stuff sack 2.4oz
Nunatak Arc Alpinist (overbag cut) ~21oz (sending home by April)
Oware catenary cut solo tarp 7oz /Cloudburst TarpTent when buggy 32oz
8 Ti stakes 3oz/ 6 when using Cloudburst
Quantum bivy bag 6.5oz (sending home by April)
Tyvek ground cloth 7oz
RidgeRest deluxe (trimmed) 14oz
Brasslite Turbo I 1.6 oz w/windscreen 1.5oz
8 fluid ounce fuel container 1.2oz (empty)
MSR Ti Kettle 0.85L 4.2oz
Snowpeak Ti spork 0.5oz
GSI Fair Share mug 7oz
2 clear plastic lighters 1.4oz
Marmot Precip top & bottom 19.2oz
Marmot Chinook wind shirt (hooded/ full zip) 3.4oz
100 wt fleece hat 1.4oz
OR gripper gloves (windproof) 2.6oz
Wild Things EP Hooded jacket 17.1oz (sending home by April)
100 wt fleece shirt 7oz
Ex Officio convertible AmphiPants 12.3oz
Merino wool L/S zip top 8.1oz
Merino wool S/S top 6oz
Capilene midweight bottom 8.4oz (sending home by April)
Bandana
REI sombrero type hat
2 Capilene liner socks
3 pair Alpaca wool light hiking socks
Trail Runners
OR low gaiters
3 silnylon stuff sacks +/-3oz
Petzl Tikka headlamp 2.6oz
Aqua Mira 3oz
Camel Back 100oz hydration bag 5.5oz (approx)
Nikon Coolpix 775 Digital camera with battery and flash card 8.1oz
Relevant guidebook pages/map/databook pages
Scotch 6oz including lexan container
ID cash/bank card
Leki trekking poles
Misc: 1/3 camp towel. Tooth brush/paste, Doc Bronners’ (in 2oz container), note book/pen, compass, whistle, watch/thermometer, duct tape, first aid kit (inc. vitamins/meds, blister kit), 2 aaa batteries, TP, alcohol hand wash, bug juice. total 21oz

Total approximate carried weight without food/water/fuel 13-16lb (haven’t actually added it all up so just guesstimating) depending on season.

I am planning on 1.5lb per day for food (4-5 days between resupply?) and not needing more then 100oz of water at a time. For a total carry weight around 27-30lb.

I know the Fair share mug and towel are things I could lose, and may drop these as I travel but will probably at least start with them.

So what do you think, any improvements/suggestions? Did I leave anything out? Would you suggest light crampons/snow shoes for a late February start?

Thanks,
Rich
:D

Sleepy the Arab
10-05-2003, 17:10
Hmm.

It seems to me that there are an awful lot of clothing items, but that is up to the comfort of the wearer. I went the first month with nothing for my lower half except for shorts and polypro pants - and this included a 14 deg morning. No, I wasn't comfortable, but that's the point. To each his own here. Remember, if you err on the side of caution, you can send stuff home from Walasi-Yi, 35 miles from the start of the trail.

Snowshoes/Crampons will not be needed for a late Feb/early March start. You may get one or two snowstorms at that start date (in fact, I think everyone gets one or two starting out), but nothing severe enough to warrent these items. If it gets that bad, you may as well hide out in town for a day or two.

Ditch one lighter. If one fails, you can borrow from someone. No one ought to begrudge you this.

smokymtnsteve
10-05-2003, 17:41
I always carry two lighters...and then even one more in my emergency bag....same with two light sources....One headlight and one small led....

It's Nice to be Lite.....but not in the dark!

and what about a book to read..no one should enter the woods without an Edward Abbey book!

and 2 oz of doc bronners is a lot...

Dances with Mice
10-05-2003, 21:24
You need to carry much more Scotch than that.

Blue Jay
10-06-2003, 07:48
Excellent list.

chris
10-06-2003, 09:30
Good looking list.

I was happy to see the scotch included, but bourbon or rum would be better. I would keep both lighters. Put one in a back up spot. Like with your cash or something. Get yourself some earplugs for sleeping in shelters or in motel rooms with other hikers. You can find them in a hardware store. With trail runners, I would just wear straight running socks, rather than liners+hiking socks. Fox River and Wigwam both make nice models. Liners+hiking socks is a bit of overkill, in my opinion, but this is really a matter of personal preference. I'd also ditch the gaiters, but that is also personal preference. What about a rain cover for the pack? Or, a trash compactor bag liner. You will get dumped on alot in the winter.

I gather the Nunatuk bag and the WM bag are being used in conjunction? See my review of the Highlight in another section of the forum for its limitations in cold weather. I am unsure what some of the clothing is, but I would err on the side of caution for a winter start. Is there something insulated in the list? Like a heavy fleece or insulated pullover? Take more than you think you will need.

As far as food goes, 1.5 lbs may work initially, but I would suggest 2-3 lbs is more reasonable in the long run. I carried 3-3.5 lbs per day this summer and felt that was a good amount. For the first two weeks, though, 1.5 lbs per day should be okay. I carried a 20 oz. soda bottle with olive oil in it and added 2-4 oz. per meal. This helped alot, I think. 100 oz. is a lot of water. At least south of Damascus, a quart is really all you need to be able to carry.

32 oz. for a tarp seems rather portly. You could keep the Oware and use a light sleep net for bugs. I use, and like, Dancing Light's sleep net. I have a review of it somewhere on this site.

Best of luck on your hike.

Tin Man
10-07-2003, 21:48
Scotch is good, in fact when my brother and I did our first AT section 2 years ago, he was dubbed "Bartender" by some other section hikers looking to join the party. You can never have enough Scotch, but we manage. Next week is our third section and we can't wait!

MedicineMan
10-09-2003, 01:07
Primaloft is a better choice (or Thinsulate) than fleece when you have to choose.
Also, lightweight instep crampons weigh very little and are good insurance for icy/snowy trails...or carry a hex head driver and some lags and screw them into your treads when needed (a tip from Flying Ryan)

qsilver
10-13-2003, 01:42
Since you are bringing an alcohol burning stove, why not simply pack some Everclear(read Moonshine) to run your stove. It has higher BTUs than regular denatured alcohol. Added to some kool-aid/crystal light makes a nice little cocktail. I definitely appreciate a single malt scotch; however, wanted to offer an alternative..... (just don't drink all your fuel or you may have to urinate in the stove and try to light it ;) )

....what did you expect from a Kentucky Boy....

MedicineMan
10-13-2003, 01:54
here in the hospital we stock Everclear, wonder how BTU wise it compares with HEET???

qsilver
10-13-2003, 01:58
Pulled from SGT Rock's site.... (www.hikinghq.net (http://hikinghq.net/sgt_stove/ion_stove.html) )

Methyl Alcohol has 10,200 BTUs per pound and is made from wood grains. It is also the type of alcohol that causes blindness and death if ingested. Methyl Alcohol is sold as HEET fuel line dryer and also comprises 80% of what is sold as denatured alcohol in the 32 ounce cans at Wal-Mart.

Ethyl Alcohol has 12,550 BTUs per pound and is made from grains. It's what you drink in beer, tequila, etc. You can get it as Everclear (90% pure) or in denatured alcohol from Wal-Mart because it makes up the other 20% of that formula.

Sure there is a HUGE price difference, but what the hell, a small price to pay for a little nip on the trail.....

Speaking of which... why does a hospital stock moonshine???

MedicineMan
10-13-2003, 05:22
We get alcoholics in DT's , DT's can kill so we maintain them in a 'drunk' state on Everclear titrated to their alcohol levels and gradually attenuated over 1-2weeks...we take the Everclear and run it through a 0.22micron filter to remove any bacteria that maybe present and then infuse in into a peripheral line......also of interest, the hospital buys it from the local liquor store.....
I've carried Everclear on hikes for stove fuel but have never considered drinking it, i like my liver just like it is :)

MedicineMan
10-13-2003, 05:22
now a good cold beer is a different story!