PDA

View Full Version : Blind Bill Irwin loses dog

moxie
06-17-2007, 22:50
Bill Erwin, the famous blind AT thru hiker and author tied his seeing eye dog to a tree at the Augusta, Maine Walmart, then drove off with his wife in their RV forgetting the poor dog. When they discovered their mistake several hours later and returned to the Walmart the dog was no where to be found. Fortunately someone found the poor dog and brought him home and when the story got out the next day Bill's dog was returned to him. It is very fortunate this didn't happen while Bill was on the trail or the book "Blind Courage" instead might have been "How to Walk Into Trees and Live To Tell". Anyway, Bill and the dog are back together. It is just amazing to learn a blind man who hiked the entire AT can manage to lose a seeing eye dog while shopping at Walmart. :o

Appalachian Tater
06-17-2007, 23:13
I think it's even more amazing a blind man can drive an RV.

smokymtnsteve
06-17-2007, 23:30

summer is here in AK..sunlight 24 hour a day and the road seems to be full of blind RV drivers..:D

since it's tourist season can we shoot them?

attroll
06-18-2007, 00:03
I find that kind of shocking to, to forget your seeing eye dog that you tied to a tree. Something that important you would think you would not forget.

Anyways I am glad all turned out well.

Hikerhead
06-18-2007, 00:06
Thank God that he didn't tie the dog to the bumper.

J5man
06-18-2007, 00:06
App Tater,your reply may have been the funniest thing I have ever read on this site!!!

jrwiesz
06-18-2007, 00:09
summer is here in AK..sunlight 24 hour a day and the road seems to be full of blind RV drivers..:D

Only with proper guide and license; oh, and not on the same day as you fly in.:D

oldbear
06-18-2007, 00:35
Well I guess that explains the reason for instructions written in Braille at drive thru ATM machines

D'Artagnan
06-18-2007, 08:29
That reminds me of the guy who, after buying a new RV, got it out onto the highway, set the cruise control, then proceeded to get up and go to the back to fix himself a cup of coffee. I don't think it worked quite the way he intended. :D

LIhikers
06-18-2007, 09:02

You need a special stamp for your hunting liscence but beyond that it's open season... :eek:

TOW
06-18-2007, 11:10
He definetly was not driving............

Outlaw
06-18-2007, 13:06
He definetly was not driving............

Is that because he was navigating and giving a guided tour? I imagine that would be hard to do without his faithful guide dog by his side. Glad to hear the two got re-united!

Wanderingson
06-18-2007, 13:25
Hey--ever seen Bill's Dog?

Either has he.

BWAAAAAH

Marta
06-18-2007, 13:35
Hey, I can believe Bill forgot his dog.

A few years ago I got to where I was going, got the two kids out of the car, locked it, and sped to the appointment I was late for. When I stepped inside the building, I was haunted by the feeling I'd forgotten something. The 6-year-old tugged at my sleeve. "You left Forrest in the car." Oops.

He was only a week old and I wasn't used to having him around yet. ;-))) He was unharmed by his five minutes sleeping in a locked car. He turned 21 a couple of weeks ago.

Marta/Five-Leaf

attroll
06-18-2007, 13:36
Hey--ever seen Bill's Dog?

Either has he.

BWAAAAAH
Well, not true. Bill is not totally blind. He is legally blind. There is a difference.

1n the Sun
06-18-2007, 14:16
why didn't he bring hte dog inside to shop? It's allowed, you know?

Rain Man
06-18-2007, 14:30
Well, not true. Bill is not totally blind. He is legally blind. There is a difference.

Actually, Bill Irwin is totally blind, not just legally blind. Heck, _I_ am "legally blind" without my glasses/contacts.

Nevertheless, this whole thread smells of "urban legend" to me.

Rain:sunMan

Moxie00
06-18-2007, 16:26

It is not urban legend-first if you have ever been to Maine there is no "urban" north of Portland and the jury is still out on Portland. It actually did happen at the Augusta Walmart, was on all the news TV and newspapers. A local truck driver saw the dog was a seeing eye dog, called his boss and the police and took the door home. Bill got his dog back the next day. Go on line to any Maine newspaper or WCSH.com or any other Maine TV station and read the story for yourself.

firemountain
06-18-2007, 21:12
Why was he tieing up his seeing eye dog in the first place? Doesn't he need that to see! He is allowed to bring it inside with him.

On another note his book was awesome and inspirational. I have a great deal of respect for his hike.

-Early Bird

pokeyhontas98
06-18-2007, 21:53
A local truck driver saw the dog was a seeing eye dog, called his boss and the police and took the door home.
Was the dog tied to a door?

moxie
06-18-2007, 22:48
Was the dog tied to a door?
Tied to a tree in a hot parking lot with his seeing eye gear on and I understand, no drinking water.

Tha Wookie
06-18-2007, 23:08
The mind control devices must have taken over briefly.

Roland
06-19-2007, 01:31
Here's a snippet from the Kennebec Journal (http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/4006196.html), about the incident:

AUGUSTA -- A blind Sebec man is hoping a good Samaritan will return his Seeing Eye dog, accidentally left in the Augusta Wal-Mart parking lot Saturday morning.Bill Irwin, 67, blind since the age of 28 as the result of an eye disease, said he and his wife spent Friday night in their camper in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
Augusta police Sgt. Michael Small said the couple reported the dog, Colby, was tied to a tree outside their recreational vehicle the last time they saw him.
They each thought the other had returned the dog to the camper before driving away between 8:30-9 a.m. Saturday, Irwin said.
"I reached back to pet him behind my wife's seat and he wasn't there, and we realized we had left without him," Irwin said.
By the time they returned, the dog was gone.
Another camper reported seeing a man come up to the dog and lead him away.
Irwin said he hopes the man was trying to help and will return Colby. "I'm praying that's the case," he said. "I don't think there was foul play." ~~~ "He's more than a Seeing Eye dog," Irwin said. "He's one of my closest friends."

~~~~~

Upon hearing the rest of the story, I can understand how this could happen. Another article mentions that the Irwins realized their mistake within 10 minutes of leaving Walmart, and returned to the lot to find the dog missing. There certainly was no intention to abandon this dog.

Nean
06-19-2007, 20:23
Actually, Bill Irwin is totally blind, not just legally blind. Heck, _I_ am "legally blind" without my glasses/contacts.

Bill may be totally blind now, but he wasnt when he hiked the trail.:cool:

attroll
06-20-2007, 01:56
That was what I meant to say in my first post. I am sorry I did not clarify that.

Appalachian Tater
06-20-2007, 10:40
Apparently they were using the WalMart parking lot as a campground.

Rain Man
06-20-2007, 13:32

Perhaps I don't know what you mean by "totally blind"?

Here are a few quotes from my autographed copy of his book:

"When people ask ' Can you see anything at all?' I reply that I have some light perception. If I'm in a dark room and someone turns on the light, I'm aware of it. I can distinguish day from night, noon from dusk, bright sunlight from shade. I cannot see shapes or images." page 22.

From pages 23 and 24, "they decided to remove my left eye as soon as possible" and "For eight weeks after my eye was removed..." and "They ... told me that I would eventually become completely blind."

From pages 26 and 27, "By 1976, my sight was completely gone" and "with one glass eye and another that was useless." For what it's worth, this was all long before his 1990 thru-hike.

In my book, having a glass eye and not being able to see either shapes nor images from the other one qualifies as totally blind. Your mileage may vary.

Jimmers
06-20-2007, 13:59
Apparently they were using the WalMart parking lot as a campground.

Yeah, that's pretty common actually. Wallmart allows RVers to stay overnight in their parking lots. Drive past one at two in the morning; it's amazing how many RV's you can find.

Nean
06-28-2007, 17:14
Perhaps I don't know what you mean by "totally blind"?

Here are a few quotes from my autographed copy of his book:

"When people ask ' Can you see anything at all?' I reply that I have some light perception. If I'm in a dark room and someone turns on the light, I'm aware of it. I can distinguish day from night, noon from dusk, bright sunlight from shade. I cannot see shapes or images." page 22.

From pages 23 and 24, "they decided to remove my left eye as soon as possible" and "For eight weeks after my eye was removed..." and "They ... told me that I would eventually become completely blind."

From pages 26 and 27, "By 1976, my sight was completely gone" and "with one glass eye and another that was useless." For what it's worth, this was all long before his 1990 thru-hike.

In my book, having a glass eye and not being able to see either shapes nor images from the other one qualifies as totally blind. Your mileage may vary.

I remember another story and it wasn't from a book. Like TOW, Bills friend, I must have a bad memory. YMWAV

The Weasel
06-28-2007, 17:51

Soon to be released:

"Scent of a Backpacker," starring Al Pacino as Bill Erwin.

The Weasel

hootyhoo
06-28-2007, 18:18
Next time he should let his wife drive-presuming she can see.