PDA

View Full Version : Good Music players

Chaco Taco
06-18-2007, 08:44
I am in the market for a music player of some sorts. My last hike, I was missin music so I am breaking down and shopping around. I have a ton of music but will make shuffles for the next hike. I do not want to go the ipod route. Whata re some good players out there with a decent size memory that are light? :-?

Fiddleback
06-18-2007, 10:09
If your primary use of the player is going to be on the trail then one of the features you'll want to emphasize is battery life. That being said, there's always a lot of give and take between iPod and anti-iPod camps. I've never been much of an Apple fan myself but I am in love with my iPod and there are some good reasons to seriously consider the brand:

- iTunes. The software that manages your music inside iPod. The program is simple, effective, and 'pretty.' I really enjoy working with it. You can download it for free (no iPod necessary) and check it out. It works great on my XP-based PC and I've read it (now) works fine on Vista PCs as well.

- market share. With over 85% percent of the 'MP3' market, you can be assured that there will be plenty of support. If you're just gonna rip music from your own CDs that may not matter as much. But if that's what you're doing, see above...iTunes makes it incredibly easy to rip, manage, and organize your music.

- difference in sound. Is there any? Can you tell? I'm not sure I can but I've read audiophiles can hear the difference between players. Still, an upgraded pair of earphones is probably more significant than the initial sound difference thought to exist between players.

I'm sure there are as many reasons to choose another brand but I'm not sure there are reasons not to choose iPod. Again, the iTunes software is a dream and is probably the reason iPod is dominant.

To keep things fair and balanced and to provide some grains of salt to go with the opinions above...the iPod Nano is the only player I've ever used.:o

FB

otterman
06-18-2007, 10:23
Zen Nano Plus made by creative labs. It is an MP3 and an FM radio. Voice recording. 18 hours of play on a single AAA battery. Oh, and very small.

redtail
06-18-2007, 11:07
Zen Nano Plus made by creative labs. It is an MP3 and an FM radio. Voice recording. 18 hours of play on a single AAA battery. Oh, and very small.
I also have one of these (http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/creative-zen-nano-plus/4505-6490_7-31394388.html?tag=prod.txt.4) and love it. Very small and lightweight. The screen is also small though and it's kind of a pain to navigate folders compared to larger players but it's a size/weight trade-off. The sound is decent. The earbuds that came with it were uncomfortable, switched to lightweight headphones.

stag3
06-18-2007, 11:41

Ditto..The lithium ion battery seems to last more than 18 hours.

walkingdog
06-18-2007, 13:40
I have to agree that my first choice is the Zen Nano Plus for trips of 1 week or less. I also own a 40 Gig Ipod and use it for medical classes, backpacking pod casts and trips over 1 week. 12-15 hour battery life and carry a solarcharger. You can buy a waterproof hard case that allowes you to listen and controll it with ease. I have had my Zen Nano Plus for 2 years with no problems.

wilconow
06-18-2007, 13:41
I have to agree that my first choice is the Zen Nano Plus for trips of 1 week or less. I also own a 40 Gig Ipod and use it for medical classes, backpacking pod casts and trips over 1 week. 12-15 hour battery life and carry a solarcharger. You can buy a waterproof hard case that allowes you to listen and controll it with ease. I have had my Zen Nano Plus for 2 years with no problems.

can you please recommend a waterproof hardcase and solarcharger for the ipod? thanks.

Footslogger
06-18-2007, 13:45
====================================

I'll second this recommendation. Have carried my trusty little Zen on many hikes now and the battery (single AAA Lithium) seems to never wear out. 1 Gig of space and holds about 500 or so songs, plus the FM radio feature.

There are plenty of choices out there and some have more capacity and/features but for around $45 - 50 the Zen Nano is pretty hard to beat.

'Slogger

Fiddleback
06-18-2007, 19:45
can you please recommend a waterproof hardcase and solarcharger for the ipod? thanks.

Can't help with the solar charger but Otterbox ( http://www.otterbox.com/products/ipod_cases/ ) makes bombproof cases...waterproof, dustproof, shockproof...all while allowing operation of the clickwheel and reading of the screen. The Nano case weighs a touch over 4oz. It lists for $40 but can be had cheaper with a little online searching.

About the only time mine leaves its case is to recharge or to play it in the car.:)

FB

Revolutionist_Rob
06-18-2007, 20:11
Creative Zen Sleek Photo- It has a stainless steel casing and is extremely durable, although not very light. I've dropped it on concrete dozens of times with no ill effects. 18hour Battery life on its built in lithium rechargable. Very nice player and works seemlessly without any troubles with windows media player. Highly recommended (its 20gb, and cheap)

ShakeyLeggs
06-18-2007, 21:49
I prefer the SanDisk products. I have the M250 Sansa (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item%281211%29-SDMX3-2048-Sansa_m250_Digital_Audio_Player_2GB.aspx). I get about 18 hrs on one battery. It has a built in FM tuner that I found to be pretty decent. Also has a built in mic to make recordings.

berninbush
06-18-2007, 22:38
Another vote for the Creative Zen Nano Plus. :-) I love it because it's small, not too complicated to use, and runs on an AAA battery that you can find pretty much anywhere.

The one shortcoming, IMHO, is that it doesn't do playlists. I compensate by making my own mix when I'm loading the music and putting it on there in the order I want.

If you want audio books to listen to, check out www.librivox.org. They make audio recordings of public-domain books and put them on the web as free downloads. (I've read a few things for them!)

On my last long car trip, I had my Nano loaded with three books and a ton of music. :-)

Chaco Taco
06-18-2007, 23:08
Well, I am going to be getting the Zen Nano.

doodah man
06-18-2007, 23:24
I am in the market for a music player of some sorts. My last hike, I was missin music so I am breaking down and shopping around. I have a ton of music but will make shuffles for the next hike. I do not want to go the ipod route. Whata re some good players out there with a decent size memory that are light? :-?

Lowspark, I just got back from a month backpacking and was using the Panasonic SV-MP010 mp3 player. I got it for $30 and it is advertised to give 80 hours on a single AA cell, and I think I did about that much. No radio, but it supports play lists (actually folders drag-n-dropped on the USB player). It has 1 gig of memory and I fit about 250 songs on it. I picked that one because the plan was that AA batteries that didn't have enough juice left for my camera would still give a few hours of service in the player... but, it was still going strong on the battery I started the trip with. The SV-MP020 is a 2 gig version. I often see them on e-bay. doodah-man

Chaco Taco
06-18-2007, 23:32
Lowspark, I just got back from a month backpacking and was using the Panasonic SV-MP010 mp3 player. I got it for $30 and it is advertised to give 80 hours on a single AA cell, and I think I did about that much. No radio, but it supports play lists (actually folders drag-n-dropped on the USB player). It has 1 gig of memory and I fit about 250 songs on it. I picked that one because the plan was that AA batteries that didn't have enough juice left for my camera would still give a few hours of service in the player... but, it was still going strong on the battery I started the trip with. The SV-MP020 is a 2 gig version. I often see them on e-bay. doodah-man

Now that is interesting. Its so compact! Wow, im going to look into thgat one with the crazy battery life. Thanks!

Fiddleback
06-19-2007, 13:14
Solar chargers --

I just saw this on CNBC's Innovation segment...the Solio Universal Hybrid Solar Charger from Energy Innovation Systems (I think).

In its folded position it appears to be about palm size. Three solar panels fan out making the device about 12" in diameter. The panels charge the Solio's internal user-replaceable lithium ion battery (which also can be charged with an included AC charger). The lithium battery is then used to charge iPods, PDA, cell phones, etc. The spokesman said the charging to the iPods, phones, etc., can be ongoing while the Soilo's battery itself is being solar charged.

It weighs 5½oz, works in a -4°F to 131°F range and lists for $100.

It works with iPod, mini iPod, Nano, iPod 3G and 4G, and iPod Photo as well as Nokia, Motorola, Blackberry and Samsung.

Comes with AC charger, 12V cigarette plug charger, foreign power adaptors and other stuff.

And it's stocked by REI, http://www.rei.com/product/751233

I'm tempted...:-?

FB

Footslogger
06-19-2007, 13:17
Problem might be that a lot of the AT is partially canopy covered. Question is ...do they require bright light to function well or any level of light ??

Have heard of hikers using this device with success on the PCT but not yet on the AT ??

'Slogger

Fiddleback
06-19-2007, 13:34
Good point, Footslogger. I didn't hear or read anything about the solar intensity required.

Sometimes I really miss the AT's hardwood forests...but I don't miss the humidity that makes them grow so good.:cool:

FB

walkingdog
06-19-2007, 14:24
can you please recommend a waterproof hardcase and solarcharger for the ipod? thanks.I see others have reported the solar charger that I use. The hard case is from: http://www.otterbox.com/

Make sure to get the correct version (old Ipod vs New)
My case has been as deep as 10 feet in water with no problems.

walkingdog
06-19-2007, 14:28
For low light conditions I use another charger: http://store.sundancesolar.com/brso6wafosop.html

wilconow
06-19-2007, 14:39
I see others have reported the solar charger that I use. The hard case is from: http://www.otterbox.com/

Make sure to get the correct version (old Ipod vs New)
My case has been as deep as 10 feet in water with no problems.

thanks for the reply. as for the solar charger, is this the one you used? does it work well in woods like the AT?

Isaiah52:7
06-25-2007, 20:57
I prefer the SanDisk products. I have the M250 Sansa (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item%281211%29-SDMX3-2048-Sansa_m250_Digital_Audio_Player_2GB.aspx). I get about 18 hrs on one battery. It has a built in FM tuner that I found to be pretty decent. Also has a built in mic to make recordings.

Got mine for 30$ reburbished

Fiddleback
08-15-2007, 21:46
I've made it clear in this thread and others (including other forums) that I really like the iPod Nano and especially the supporting iTunes software. But...

Check out the SanDisk Sansa e130 512MB Player. Why check out this outdated (2005), smallish player? Because Vanns.com is selling 'em (refurbished) for a tad under $30, w/free ground shipping.

Do your own Google for reviews of the product (Vanns doesn't need a review...they are excellent!!) but here's a gist;

- ~3X2X1/2", 1 1/2oz w/o battery
- runs on one AAA battery with an advertised 17 hours of play time
- 512MB, based on the performance I get from my 4GB Nano, that's about 150 songs or a whole bunch of Audible books
- **expansion slot for SD cards up to 2GB in size**
- FM receiver w/20 presets

I haven't tried this player but the price seems right. My Lady and I each just ordered one...hers for working in the stable, mine for the trail...

FB

Tsani
08-16-2007, 12:03
Carry a uke, harmonica, or flute. Be your own music player. No charging required.

Alligator
08-16-2007, 12:28
I've got a Sandisk 1 GB player (http://www.mrgadget.com.au/blogimages/sandisk_mp3_player_1GB_blogimage1.jpg). It's an older model. I liked it at first because it has decent battery life ~12-14 hours, FM radio, and voice record, but it's been a big disappointment. It can't handle rechargeable batteries and sometimes just cuts out for no apparent reason. Getting customer support was uber ridiculous and unhelpful. I don't recommend this company.

little bear
08-16-2007, 13:44
I posted this web page some time back about the ipod charger that runs off 2 AA. I love mine and do enjoy my ipod better now that I dont have to worry about charging it up with a wall charger.
http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...id=102213122&c

Little Bear

Fiddleback
08-16-2007, 20:01
To be clear, the Sansa e130 is not a top of the line music player. And, if it's quality music sound production players are judged by then the shopper is again pointed in the direction of iPod (and upgraded ear buds;) ).

But...at a drastically reduced price and for playback of audible books I thought I'd take a flyer. It should arrive tomorrow but it'll be a while before I try it out what with in-laws coming in from one direction and fires smoking up the other compass points.

And please, no radios, phones, ukes, harmonicas, or flutes while I'm passing through. Let's keep the transient noise pollution to a minimum.:D

FB

Tennessee Viking
08-16-2007, 23:39
I use an Ipod shuffle. Mainly for being one of the cheaper but great players. And if your on trail its light, can be packed easily, and your not going to be scrolling through playlists on trail. And if breaks, its not a too big of a lose.

My only dislikes are that you will have to charge it by computer, which you are not going ot find on trail. Or have to carry a USB wall adapter. And not every hostel or town will have one accessible to a hiker. Then you will have to have Itunes to transfer new songs over. Thats where some of the battery powered open players come in handy.

Tsani
08-17-2007, 10:49
Hey Fiddleback, I'll make sure I don't camp within earshot of you. But c'mon, what about comeraderie on the trail? Gee whiz - uptight hikers...

See this is the problem with our world of 21st century technology. We are isolated within our ipods. We no longer make music ourselves or share it with others. I understand the need for solitude - I'm with you 100% on that one - that's part of what we're looking for on the trail, but there should be a balancing need for community. I think we should be able to find both on the AT.

I also question the desire to exist within an artificial environment of self-selected sound all the time. The ipod provides comfort and artificial companionship while hiking, and it helps you knock out the miles, but don't you lose something in experiencing the trail with one of your sense disconnected from the experience?

Hmmm.... Sorry - rant finished.

Tennessee Viking
08-17-2007, 17:15
Another good reason to have a player on trail. Nights at shelters. Helps muffle all the snoring and the gasteric audio.

Fiddleback
08-18-2007, 10:13
Hey Fiddleback, I'll make sure I don't camp within earshot of you. But c'mon, what about comeraderie on the trail? Gee whiz - uptight hikers...

See this is the problem with our world of 21st century technology. We are isolated within our ipods. We no longer make music ourselves or share it with others. I understand the need for solitude - I'm with you 100% on that one - that's part of what we're looking for on the trail, but there should be a balancing need for community. I think we should be able to find both on the AT.

I also question the desire to exist within an artificial environment of self-selected sound all the time. The ipod provides comfort and artificial companionship while hiking, and it helps you knock out the miles, but don't you lose something in experiencing the trail with one of your sense disconnected from the experience?

Hmmm.... Sorry - rant finished.

Sorry, Tsani...I didn't mean for it to come out that way. As for the iPod, I've yet to take it on the trail and I don't expect to use it for music...at least not much, anyway. But there use to be a time when I did a little reading at night and audible books I think are a nice, lightweight alternative to carrying the real thing. That's why I thought the smaller, much cheaper Sansa player would be a good trail alternative. But you're right about isolation and reading (silently to one's self) is even more an artificial and self-isolated environment than MP3 music. Ya' can talk over the music but you can't read and interact with 'companions' at the same time.

But I readily admit to being sensitive to human noise and nearby campers. I still remember a Glacier NP camp a couple years ago where a group of six were at the backcountry camp site. Being a NP campsite, it had a privy and everyone of those guys would let the outhouse door slam...not what I wanted to hear on my first overnight in GNP. At least we shared campsites only one night...

My Lady and I always were very quiet and avoided others when backpacking...even our dog was trained to not bark in the woods or at wildlife, etc. It was part of our 'getting away'... But now most of my trips are solo and it's all in grizzly country. It's comforting to know that, 'a little noise can go a long way.':D

I'm not really uptight about the music...well, maybe the ukelele;)

FB

Dichotomous
08-18-2007, 15:31
I am freshly back from hiking 1606 miles on the PCT, and I carried my MobiBLU 153 the whole way. I charged it 3 times in 2.5 months, and used it just about every day. If you need long battery life, as one does on a long trail like the PCT, this thing rocks. I guess the extrordinarily long battery life is less important on the AT, as there are more town stops and the town stops are more full service, but on the PCT and CDT, this is the one. Several of my fellow hikers this year bought them, and they all raved about them.
They now come in a 4 gig version, have an FM radio, can record voice, have a clock and alarm, and have built-in podcast software. They come with a USB cable that you can use to charge them from a computer, and you can buy a seperate wall charger. The navigation is no where near as cool as ipods, but uses a simple file menu. This is good if you only need the names of songs and albums, as it is simpler and does not need an internet connection to name songs: you can type them right in if you like. Many times if you download free stuff you don't get the itunes bonuses: you only see "unknown song" or whatever. With the B153, you can just type in the names of the songs.
But the real strength is the battery. I would go 6-8 town stops on the PCT without charging- almost a month - and listened to the radio and my music most days. The radio has bookmarking and an auto scan, and I could get NPR almost all of California. I highly reccomend this product for long trail hikers.

Fiddleback
08-27-2007, 17:14
This is an update of my 15 Aug post about my 'great deal', the SanDisk Sansa E130 MP3 player for $29.88, delivered.

Purchased at Vanns.com, this is a factory refurbished item. A better price might be found at other vendors or on EBay but, IMO, you won't find better people to deal with than at Vanns.

Differences of this refurbished item from the originals sold (no longer available, I think) is that it did not come with the AAA battery (it's working just fine on my own, single AAA rechargeable battery) and it did not have the CD containing crapware and the users guide which is available on line.

I purchased this player strictly to play 'spoken word' files, i.e., Audible Books and the like. To date, I've loaded over 12 1/2 hours of short stories which fills just 37% of the player's 512MB memory using Audible's higher quality/more memory-required format. The player also accepts SD cards up to 2GB in size so the capacity, at least for books, is huge. The earbuds are more comfortable than those that come with the iPod and the sound quality is OK. Frankly, I'm not an audiophile and I don't know how to judge sound quality of someone reading...let's just say it's more than good enough to listen to a book.:-?

Set up is intuitive and a snap...once I realized that there's some actions necessary at audible.com to make their books playable. Loading files from the computer is a simple Copy-Paste action.

I briefly tried out the FM receiver function. I noted one station coming in clear and the rest somewhat static filled -- about the same response I get from my multi-hundred dollar stereo receiver which sits a couple feet away from where I tested the Sansa.

I'm happy with my purchase. It's not near the supposed quality or the obvious good looks of the iPod but than it's barely over 10% of the iPod's price. The Sansa will make a good, cheap player for the trail that one doesn't have to worry about. Oh yeah, it plays music, too.;)

Bottom line -- it's cheap and easy, low maintenance, and will stand up to the rigors of the trail. Just like a good trail partner.:D

FB