PDA

View Full Version : Hillbillies?

Percival
10-06-2003, 00:28
Ever run into real live hillbillies on or near the trail, or more likely, on your way to the trailhead? The kind you do a double take on, either by their behavior or appearance, or both?

smokymtnsteve
10-06-2003, 01:31
Are you referring to mtn folks....you ain't trying to make fun of me and my grandma ..... are you????....I've run into some pretty strange flatlanders up on and near the trail....

squirrel bait
10-06-2003, 05:13
Damn, according to Percival I'm a hillbilly. I'm a gonna talk to my mom about that but her and my brother are over in the next county at a twins dance.

Lone Wolf
10-06-2003, 10:02
You're f***ing kidding, right Percy?

MOWGLI
10-06-2003, 13:30
They all live in Beverly Hills. You have to walk the PCT and detour into LA in order to see 'em. Tell Jethro I said hello if you see him.

greyowl
10-06-2003, 13:38
What? Hillbillies? Heck I am married to one. Has a masters degree in eduation. Let us not get into stereotyping here. Yes there are a lot of yahoo's in the world but the hillbillies I know are kind and generous. They take a man (or woman) at their word. Never lie to one. Ignore Jeff Foxworthy he ain't talking about hillbilles.

Grey Owl

warren doyle
10-06-2003, 13:41
Percival,
Sorry, I haven't seen any h*********s in my thirty years of walking the Appalachian Trail, even though my first hike was less than a year from the opening of 'Deliverance'. I have seen quite a few culturally insensitive, middle class suburbanite hikers though.

Saluki Dave
10-06-2003, 17:56
I noticed Percy posted an identical message on Trailjournals. Either he has a hillbilly fetish or we're getting our collective chains yanked.

Companion
10-06-2003, 18:24
I dont know if Percy asked that question in all sincerity or if it came from second hand reading or it has malicious intent...personally, i have never heard of such things from through hikers themselves...i have only read about it and only twice...

i have wondered about 'hillibillies' and 'rednecks' myself when i read a book on the AT by a young woman who through hiked it in the 80s, i think...i remember reading in the book that the author passes by a particular trail town(in tn or ga?) where the residents were rather unfriendly and set dogs at the hikers passing through..

the second time i read about it was in the book, walking home by kelly winters http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1555836585/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/002-9988443-4875239?v=glance&s=books&vi=customer-reviews ...although, i havent read the book myself....i went through all the reviews for it in amazon and decided that i needed more 'cheery and happy' books that encourage me rather than the raw, 'real' ones...ya know..about pain and grit and stuff.....the following is from one of the amazon reviews..

(snip)
On the positive side, there are great descriptions of shelter life on the trail, the boorish, sexist behavior of the many of the men on the trail and also being chased by some Rednecks in the deep South; "she's little," they squeal, "let's catch her!" This was perhaps the most gripping segment of the book, as she outraces these fat slobs trying to harm her.
(snip)

on a totally different note, any female solo thru hikers out there?

ganj
10-06-2003, 18:32
The only difference between this place and trailjournals is people can post without registering over there.

This guy registers and the first thing he can ask is this question. This behavior was typical of some members in the past here.

smokymtnsteve
10-06-2003, 18:36
nope...

Ima Rose was mtn beauty of the buxom type,

Percival
10-06-2003, 21:55
To the tune of Cinnamon Girl by Neil Young:

I am in love with a hillbilly girl
I could be happy out under the moonlight
With my hillbilly girl

(Guitar jammin in the background)

Lugnut
10-06-2003, 23:26
Russet apple = Biff = Percival ? :-?

Percival
10-07-2003, 12:16
Ah hear down in them thar dry counties do thar drinkin out of jars.

smokymtnsteve
10-07-2003, 12:31
Originally posted by Percival
Ah hear down in them thar dry counties do thar drinkin out of jars.

percy..your WRONG agin....good moonshine likker comes in JUGS...
you kant put no plug ina jar ....jars has got dem screw-lid tops....

BiteBlaze
10-07-2003, 23:06
Can Mis'sippi gurls be hill billies?

Rain Man
10-08-2003, 08:17
Why does this thread deserve a Burning File Folder icon??? Is this thread all that thar Urgent???

Rain Man

smokymtnsteve
10-08-2003, 09:52
Originally posted by Rain Man
Why does this thread deserve a Burning File Folder icon??? Is this thread all that thar Urgent???

Rain Man

has to do with the amount of posts and views...is not dependent on content.

EarlyRiser
10-09-2003, 20:37
Our school mascot is the Hillbilly, yep thats right were the hillbillies. so if ya ever meet me on the trail then youve met a real genuine hillbilly. im sure there are some good ol yokels up in some of them parts if ya know where to look. considering the moonshine stills theres bound to be some backcountrys back there somewhere. ive met a few who certainly coulda fooled me wandering about harpers ferry, but then they might just have been thru hikers... so much in common.

steve hiker
10-09-2003, 21:53
LOL EarlyRiser, the New Jersey Hillbillies.

Come to think of it, I've met a few Joisey goils on the trail (mostly in bars) that could pass for hillbillies.

EarlyRiser
10-09-2003, 21:56
yeah, and suprisingly, from part of my town you can see the New York skyline.

Percival
07-07-2004, 02:52
Looks like I've found the answer. Yes, there are still real, honest to God hillbillies in them hills. Found this 2002 film at the library. It shows real eastern Kentucky hillbillies. Probably not that far from the AT.

The True Meaning of Pictures: Shelby Lee Adams' Appalachia.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000D9PL6/qid%3D1089182667/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-1526668-3340117

Icicle
07-07-2004, 06:25
on a totally different note, any female solo thru hikers out there?If you count that my husband is normally about a mile ahead of me and that I carry my own tent in case he gets too far ahead of me, then yes I am a female solo hiker! :rolleyes:

I read Kelly Winters' book. I wanted the perspective of a female hiker. I won't go into detail, but I didn't like her book. It was a strain to finish her book. Her whining about hypothermia and not getting enough to eat and her lust for this other girl she met on the trail. Not the kind of hiking book I was looking for. I finished her book, but she didn't finish the trail.

Yes there are a lot of yahoo's in the world but the hillbillies I know are kind and generous. Too true. I am more afraid of meeting up with a bunch of obnoxious townies!

No offense to die hard townies....

Percival
07-07-2004, 13:47
These are real hillbillies, not Jed Clampett imitations. The film shows them handling snakes and drinking strychnine from jars at religious services, grandma smoking a pipe, butchering a hog in the hollar, products of loving incest, playing real mountain music, and more. Real honest to God hillbillies.

You probably won't see them on an AT hike, but they don't live far away. It's refreshing that not everyone in this country has been homogenized into the shopping mall and SUV culture.

SavageLlama
07-07-2004, 14:43
I prefer the term "wealth and hygiene-challenged mountain-shack-residing individual."

smokymtnsteve
07-07-2004, 15:18
Now here is a Picture of a couple of real hillbillies.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=54248

here's a wild hillbilly

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=54233

I'm PROUD to be a Hill billy

Lone Wolf
07-07-2004, 15:37
You ain't no hillbilly. Hillybillies eat meat and drink shine. They don't drink fru fru coffee and eat tofu, You're a wannabe hillbilly.

SGT Rock
07-07-2004, 15:59
Naw, he is a cosmic oposum.

MOWGLI
07-07-2004, 16:24
You ain't no hillbilly. Hillybillies eat meat and drink shine. They don't drink fru fru coffee and eat tofu, You're a wannabe hillbilly.

"This country was built on bad coffee."
~John Hiatt~

smokymtnsteve
07-07-2004, 16:57
Naw, he is a cosmic oposum.

Racoon and a Possum
up ina hOLLer log

racoon say to the Possum
Now BEWARE the barking dogs! :rolleyes:

Saluki Dave
07-07-2004, 17:40
...is a RA-coon? Is we is or is we ain't speakin' hillbillie heer??

smokymtnsteve
07-07-2004, 18:21
do you mean ta say it's spelt raccoon? :jump

jist lik my ole friend Ray Hicks use ta say..."I told'em that they had wrote it down wrong in that book.

http://www.spiritofthecarolinas.com/summer2001/article_rayhicks.htm

REAL HILLBILLE..Proud Southern Highlander...

steve hiker
07-07-2004, 22:04
My ultimate goal in life is to become a redneck hillbilly.