PDA

View Full Version : Coming off the trail near Bly Gap

buckowens
06-19-2007, 07:11
Roo and I have 24 miles to go to finish the GA section. My wife is scheduled to pick us up this Friday. I am trying to determine the best place to tell her to come to to pick us up after we pass by the gnarled tree. I don't want to backtrack if I can help it, but will do whatever.. She has a GPS in the car, but I am not certain some of the Forest roads are on the map. Anybody out there have any inside information? Worst case I am going to call a ranger in that area to try to figure it out.
Thanks.

Mother Nature
06-19-2007, 08:08
I have been chewing on this question for awhile.

The facts are these.. you will be about 6 miles from Deep Gap on dirt FS 71.
The next easily accessed paved access point is Wallace Gap or Rock Gap which are 28 miles north. If she is able to find Wallace Gap on Old 64 and turn at the sign there for Standing Indian Campground she will come to Rock Gap fairly soon. If she comes to the Standing Indian Campground she has gone too far.

Not knowing your hiking speed and ability I will point out that the hike to these points will be as difficult as the most difficult section of Ga you have done.. if not more so.

The closest access point is to backtrack 3 miles to the dirt road at Blue Ridge Gap. That is readily accessible via Hwy 76 on Upper Hightower Road. She can locate that road near Hiawassee, GA.

Upper Hightower Road starts out paved and eventually narrows to a single lane dirt road. Blue Ridge Gap can be found by keeping to the right at several road intersections. The road is rough but passable.

Another suggestion is to call Ronnie Haven at (828) 524-4403 to arrange for a shuttle from Deep Gap to one of his motels (Sapphire and Budget Inn). Your wife can meet you there.

Mother Nature

troglobil
06-19-2007, 09:44
Deep gap is an easy drive, or hike the 4.7 miles to Standing Indian campground via the Kimsey Creek Trail.

stumpy
06-19-2007, 12:07
We just did that section last fall. I would vote for deep gap. It is very easy to get to the parking lot on the AT.

buckowens
06-22-2007, 20:04
Roo and I finished GA yesterday, and I had my wife come up Upper Hightower road and the Forest Service Road to Blue Ridge Gap to pick us up. We stashed our packs and did the last bit with a butt pack, and then waited an hour for her to arrive from her vacation. I plan on putting in a post with Latitude and Longitude (good for her as we have a GPS in the car... I could hear her saying "just how far does he want me to drive out this **** road"), pictures and a description as soon as the photos are developed (digital broke and had to buy a throw away at Neels Gap). I have a Honda Pilot and the road was a bit rough but no real need for 4WD.

I also called Ronnie Havens to inquire as to pickup, and had that as my backup plan.

Thanks again Stumpy, Troglobil and Mother Nature for the assistance.

Skidsteer
06-22-2007, 20:38
Roo and I finished GA yesterday, and I had my wife come up Upper Hightower road and the Forest Service Road to Blue Ridge Gap to pick us up. We stashed our packs and did the last bit with a butt pack, and then waited an hour for her to arrive from her vacation. I plan on putting in a post with Latitude and Longitude (good for her as we have a GPS in the car... I could hear her saying "just how far does he want me to drive out this **** road"), pictures and a description as soon as the photos are developed (digital broke and had to buy a throw away at Neels Gap). I have a Honda Pilot and the road was a bit rough but no real need for 4WD.

I also called Ronnie Havens to inquire as to pickup, and had that as my backup plan.

Thanks again Stumpy, Troglobil and Mother Nature for the assistance.

Congratulations!

When you catch your breath could you give us a water report?

Mother Nature
06-22-2007, 20:59
Glad all things worked out for you. Look forward to pictures.

As the maintainer on the section starting at the dirt road and ending near the GA/NC border did you find any blowdowns?

As Skids asks, what's the water situation?

MN

buckowens
06-22-2007, 23:26
Roger that Skidsteer. The only places that did not have water and was published as having it was on the way to Woods Hole Shelter. A guy staying with us there said he was able to go down the hill a bit and get a little bit... The other areas were at a bare trickle, but had some water that you could get with a little work. It also got dicey on the way to Hogpen one day, as the water at Baggs Creek Gap was dry. Whitley Gap Shelter was too far off the trail (and there was this guy with bear bells driving us crazy who was going there, but that's another story) and we kept moving on. We had had reports of water at Hogpen so we were fairly confident it was there, and found it as published. I was however down to a mere 8 oz. or so upon arrival. Some kind folks that saw our plight brought us 4 bottles to help out. Amazing how your troubles in real life pale when faced with finding water.

I did not check Bull Gap or Rock Spring Top as I was fresh and full up out of the hostel at Neels Gap. Live and learn...

We had reports that the spring near the border was running slow but sure. We did not use it so I have no first hand knowledge.

We had two good rains this past week that hopefully made a dent in the problem. I know that Roo and I had wet everything to show for it! We ended up hiking about 86 miles in 11 days and at Roo's 9 year old pace I was pretty happy. She only complained on the approach trail, and after that I found her tougher and less whiny that some soldiers I work with. We had a blast and I am obviously proud of her. Pictures will be up in my gallery as soon as I get them off my SD card which was left unreadable when my camera died... Fortunately many really nice folks stepped up and helped out with photos that they are emailing.

Yell back if you have any specific questions. I used my Whiteblaze guide through most all of the trip as I found it to be better than others I had.

Mother Nature, there was only one blow down about 1 to 1.5 miles (estimate) North from the Forest Service road on the way to the border. There was a pretty good path around it so I would say it has been down for a little bit. Other than that we found the trail to be very nice and very well maintained. Steep in spots for my old legs though :D

Buck

Mother Nature
06-23-2007, 08:06
Thanks for the headup on the blowdown. In your estimation would it be removed easily with a bowsaw or require a workcrew with a crosscut. That is wilderness and must be removed by hand.

We cut two out there about a month and a half ago. Some of those blowdown conveniently fall across water bars which make a nice path around them giving the impression they have been down a long time. :sun

Fooled us last time as we figured an Army had been through since our last visit and when we got the tree out found that it has crossed a water bar. LOL.

MN

buckowens
06-23-2007, 09:22
Mother Nature,

Roo and I consulted...and we think that it would require a couple to a few folks to cut and move clear of the trail. If you were just looking to clear a "chunk" to walk through you might be able to do that with a bow saw and minimal personnel. The root ball was just off the trail, so the walk around was very, very minimal. I am going to estimate that it was around 15-20" in diameter, but could be way off, as I only paid casual attention. I almost took a picture of it and now which I would have :o

Mother Nature
06-23-2007, 18:04
Thank you so much for the information. The minute you said rootball I knew it was going to be trouble. :cool:

I'll report it to my supervisor and we will schedule a sawyer to take a trip up there with me.

Again, glad you had a good time and thanks for the tip!

MN