PDA

View Full Version : I need a new sleeping bag...Help!

optimator
06-19-2007, 13:21
I'm not a thru hiker, but I appreciate the info I've gotten from this forum. I do mostly weekend, to 4-5 day trips. I really want to move up to a down bag while I have the funds to do so. I've been leaning towards the Big Agnes Mystic or Zirkel, since I already use (and wont part with) BA pads. Or is it really worth the money to step up to a Montbell or Western Mountaineering? I firmly believe you get what you pay for. But would a top dollar bag be overkill for my limited use? Any other recommendations are more than welcome!

optimator
06-19-2007, 13:43
I forgot to add, I'm wanting a 20 degree bag....

Footslogger
06-19-2007, 13:51
Take a look at the Western Mountaineering Ultralite Super bag. 20 Degree down at 1lb/10oz. It'll cost you a pretty penny.

If you want a decent 20 Degree down bag but don't want to spend a lot (relative term) take a look at the SubKilo at REI or the Campmor 20.

'Slogger

DrewNC2005
06-19-2007, 14:42
I have owned both Montbell and Western Mountaineering bags. Both are incredible in terms of warmth and quality. However, I recently finished sewing my own quilt using 800+ fill power down and am as pleased with my quilt as I am both Montbell and Western bags. If you can sew, make your own. If not, either brand will be fine.

gravityman
06-19-2007, 15:02
Take a look at the Western Mountaineering Ultralite Super bag. 20 Degree down at 1lb/10oz. It'll cost you a pretty penny.

If you want a decent 20 Degree down bag but don't want to spend a lot (relative term) take a look at the SubKilo at REI or the Campmor 20.

'Slogger

I 2nd (3rd?) the Ultralite for a 20 degree bag. Versalite if you want a bit more warmth...

Gravity

superman
06-19-2007, 15:31
If you are hiking in the heat of the summer and want to stay very light EMS has an emergency spleeping bag. It's rectangular and can open up to a blanket. I'm not talking about that shiny space blanket thing....mine is yellow. It cost $10.

To re-cap heat of the summer cheap charlie gear...water proof 2 lb tent $15, sleeping bag $10, external frame pack or book bag $too cheap.

I use down bags in the spring and fall.

I know this wasn't what you asked for but this is what I'm carrying this summer. Make your gear match the hike. Don't carry gear because you can afford it. I helped a guy put his pack on a long time ago. It was all nice gear but much nicer to talk about than to carry.

OK, I'm going back out to try to find the grounded wire in my Jetta diesel.

Rainman
06-19-2007, 16:53
I think it is worth it. My longest hike has been sixteen days. most are under five. I have an "old' Mont-bell Alpine Down Hugger #5 (40 deg). It is "old" because it is the version with no zipper from about four years ago. I love it.

Revolutionist_Rob
06-19-2007, 19:53
Love my montbell super strech #5, i'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys camping

bigcranky
06-20-2007, 00:02
While the WM Ultralite is a great bag, be sure you try it on before you part with your three hundred bucks. It is a very narrow cut mummy -- there is no way I could use it comfortably. (I'm 6-2, 205.) My wife, however, fits fine in hers.

I use the WM Megalite, which is rated at 30-F, though with proper clothing I've been warm into the high teens. The Megalite is cut several inches wider; IIRC it's 5 inches wider at the shoulder than the Ultralite. WM also makes a wide-cut 20-F rated bag -- I forget the name.

Of course, you may love the fit of the Ultralite, or any of the other narrow-cut bags, so this may not apply. But I'd definitely want to try on the bag, or have a rock-solid return policy.

The BA bags I've seen have been well-made, but in general I think they're a little heavier than similarly-rated bags from WM, Montbell, Feathered Friends, etc. If you absolutely love the BA pad and the sleeve thing, and you are willing to carry a few extra ounces, then go for it.

gumball
06-20-2007, 05:06
My vote, also, for the WM ultralite--great bag, very snug and warm, nice and light. And when I don't need the full warmth, I open it up and use it as a quilt.

g8trh8tr
06-20-2007, 06:03
Take a look at the EMS Mountain light 20 degree bag. Very nice bag for the money with 725 fill down, weighs 2lbs exactly and is $199 dollars. You can catch them on sale and get them even cheaper. I picked mine up for $149 dollars.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_vertical.jsp?STYLE_GROUP%3C%3East_i d=1408474396003103&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302875908&bmUID=1182333484117

optimator
06-20-2007, 17:21
Thanks for all the replies! I believe ive decided on the Montbell U.L.SS.Down Hugger #2 Long. Now to find the best price........

Mother's Finest
06-20-2007, 17:27
Up until about two months ago, I had not purchased a new sleeping bag for about 15 years. My previous bag was a NF cats meow synthetic. worked great for years.

I just bought the montbell #1 super stretch down hugger. crazy comfortable. I know it will be warm but it is difficult to imagine how it will work as it seems so thin and light compared to my previous experience.

peace
mf

peanuts
06-20-2007, 17:54
well, my montbell ss ul #2 down is da bomb!!!!! but i am a real hot sleeper and i use mine as a blanket on my hammock:D

doodah man
06-20-2007, 18:33
I'm not a thru hiker, but I appreciate the info I've gotten from this forum. I do mostly weekend, to 4-5 day trips. I really want to move up to a down bag while I have the funds to do so. I've been leaning towards the Big Agnes Mystic or Zirkel, since I already use (and wont part with) BA pads. Or is it really worth the money to step up to a Montbell or Western Mountaineering? I firmly believe you get what you pay for. But would a top dollar bag be overkill for my limited use? Any other recommendations are more than welcome!

Hey Optimator...
I recently got back from a month backpacking on the southern AT. I was using a BA Horsethief, a 35F rated bag, with a cut to fit 3/8" CCF pad in the sleeve. On April 15th in GA, had one very, very windy night, down to 27F (digital thermometer), and snowed enough to cover the ground. I slept in a shelter (colder than a tent) and was comfortable with only longjohn top & bottoms and a wool watch cap. I sleep pretty warm, but I would say the bag definately is good to the rated temperature. Measured weight of my bag was 711 grams. doodah-man

Rainman
06-21-2007, 07:35
Thanks for all the replies! I believe ive decided on the Montbell U.L.SS.Down Hugger #2 Long. Now to find the best price........

I am sure you will be happy with anything from mont-bell. Check out their website, I have gotten some great deals on clearance from their direct web store. I don't know about anything specific right now, but it might work out.