PDA

View Full Version : Bug repellent

Chaco Taco
06-19-2007, 13:51
I have tried DEET, what are some other good ones? Also, does anyone use lemon grass?

superman
06-19-2007, 14:29
I have tried DEET, what are some other good ones? Also, does anyone use lemon grass?

DEET and swatting them are the only things that I've found that really work. Long long ago I saturated a towel with DEET and wore the towel around my neck because the DEET caused a rash on me. Um....is using lemon grass legal?

wilconow
06-19-2007, 14:38
I haven't used any sort of bug stuff in two years.. though I haven't been to New England in summer.

southpaw95
06-19-2007, 14:56
I use skin-so-soft and it works! PERIOD.

taildragger
06-19-2007, 15:02
Cover yourself with chameleons (sp?), its the all natural way to go... or deet, use permithin on your clothes for the ticks

taildragger
06-19-2007, 15:02
Oh, and smoking a cigar or a pipe seems to help :D

The Cheat
06-19-2007, 15:49
Best plan in permethrin on clothes, DEET on skin. I hate DEET (it burns!) so I use Picardin on skin. Works for me. The lemon/eucalyptus stuff burns even worse than DEET. YMMV.

TN_Hiker
06-19-2007, 16:47
I use skin-so-soft and it works! PERIOD.

I have never had any luck w/ skin-so-soft. I swear it attracts the bugs and didn't seem to do a thing for the ticks. YMMV. DEET is what I use.

Lone Wolf
06-19-2007, 16:51
I have never had any luck w/ skin-so-soft. I swear it attracts the bugs and didn't seem to do a thing for the ticks. YMMV. DEET is what I use.

i agree. that crap is all hype. makes ya smell lite in the loafers too. DEET is the answer

Appalachian Tater
06-19-2007, 17:34
Skin-so-soft that is effective against bugs has picardin. Regular Skin-so-soft has no effect on bugs.

wilconow
06-19-2007, 18:14
i agree. that crap is all hype. makes ya smell lite in the loafers too. DEET is the answer

Lone Wolf, I am shocked that you use Bug Dope. I agree with you about the Lekis though.. on the trail a couple weeks ago, this fat old guy greeted me by saying "No Poles?". Yes, my two legs work just fine.

smokymtnsteve
06-19-2007, 19:00
makes ya smell lite in the loafers too.

how do ya know ..you been sniffin?:rolleyes:

Slosteppin
06-19-2007, 20:20
I agree with Taildragger and The Cheat. Total protection = I soak my hiking clothes in Permathrin solution each spring and then let them dry thoroughly. I've been using 100% DEET for over 20 years. The idea is to use very little.
I put 2 drops on the back of my hand, then rub it on exposed skin, keeping away from eyes and lips.

Slosteppin

Nean
06-19-2007, 20:26
Eat lots of garlic:-? Nothin gets near yaz:eek: :D

DavidNH
06-19-2007, 20:36
I went to REI in Boston. The sales rep there recommended jungle juice which comes as liquid or as lotion. So far so good.

I used to use Deet. But the stuff is pretty strong. The guy says that 100 % deet has been known to melt plastic.

For what its worth..I was told the US military uses jungle juice.

David

refreeman
06-20-2007, 00:46
I went to REI in Boston. The sales rep there recommended jungle juice which comes as liquid or as lotion. So far so good.

I used to use Deet. But the stuff is pretty strong. The guy says that 100 % deet has been known to melt plastic.

For what its worth..I was told the US military uses jungle juice.

David

U a funny guy Dave :D

Our field-tested Jungle Juice offers proven effectiveness against those pesky bugs--for up to 10 hours.

Protects exposed skin areas against mosquitoes, chiggers, fleas, gnats and ticks
A little goes a long way so use sparingly—only 4 to 6 drops per application
Can be applied to shoes, socks and some clothing for extra protection against chiggers and ticks
Contains Maxi-DEET® formula of 98.11% DEET with 1.89% other ingredientsMade in USA.

Heater
06-20-2007, 01:22
Sulpher will keep the ticks off.