PDA

View Full Version : Good hiking shirt for heat

Chaco Taco
06-19-2007, 17:34
Im looking at shirts that will be good for hiking in August in NC AT

Tipper
06-19-2007, 17:54
I wore Ibex shirts. Lightweight wool, very breathable and durable. I would sweat it out, of course, then rinse it out every chance I could and the wet shirt would keep me cool until it was time to rinse offf again. No odor, either! Unlike most synthetic shirts. I wore the same shirt for over a thousand miles during the hottest time of the year, wringing it out daily several times, washing it off-trail, and it only had a few holes in it (you can catch my testimonial and picture at www.ibexwear.com). Excellent!

My Sportkilt kept me 'cool' in other places, as well.:sun

wilconow
06-19-2007, 18:13
under armour

Nest
06-19-2007, 18:30
I've had good experience with walmart and kmart brand athletic shirts. They don't fit snugly like under armor, and are very thin. Feels like a normal t-shirt, but it's synthetic and dries faster than anything I've ever worn. Only down side is that they aren't very durable, but at $5 a piece it isn't a big deal to me.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-19-2007, 18:36
My all-time favorite for summer is a thrift store men's silk shirt. Light, dries quick and doesn't hold odors like synthetics.

Gaiter
06-19-2007, 18:51
i've got a macabi skirt, turns into a shorts and short skirt and good for the chilly nights (but you won't have any of those in august)
http://www.macabiskirt.com/

Nean
06-19-2007, 20:24
I like cotton...All seasons;)

fiddlehead
06-19-2007, 20:52
Definitely cotton when you know it's going to be hot. Living in Thailand, where it is normally in the 90's, and being a hiker/jogger, the polyester tends to give a rash when constantly moving the arms against the rougher fabric.
Thai construction workers who are outside in it all day, wear long sleeve pants and shirts, cover their head and even hands and wear a straw hat. You've got to respect the locals for working in that heat and notice what they are wearing to bear it.
I know it's hard to stay clean with cotton on the AT, but i'd wear white and keep a damp hankercheif handy for wiping the sweat out of my eyes.
Have fun.

Small Steps
06-19-2007, 22:39
I have and love the Adidas Climamax and North Face Flight Series shirts. I just got finished with a 19 day section hike and they worked great.

GlazeDog
06-19-2007, 23:57
I love my Rail Riders eco-mesh shirt. The mesh side panels are great for ventilation keeping me dry and cool. Check it out:

http://www.railriders.com/men-eco-speed-p-839.html?cPath=104_111

GlazeDog

Peaks
06-20-2007, 07:27
Go shirtless

Gaiter
06-20-2007, 10:37
oops, i thought it said skirt, sorry for the random/pointless post

Mags
06-20-2007, 10:40
Go shirtless

I'd scare too many people... :)

When I did the AT, I hiked in a hospital scrub shirt.

They are loose for great ventilation, have a little cotton in them so they do keep you cool, yet (being a polycotton blend), dry quicker than a regular cotton T. They have large pockets for a camera.

Usually very cheap. (Mine were free; I worked as a hospital orderly back in the day). Many army/navy stores sell them.

Panzer1
06-20-2007, 11:17
I love my Rail Riders eco-mesh shirt. The mesh side panels are great for ventilation keeping me dry and cool. Check it out:

GlazeDog

it says that the weight is 3.5 oz. Is that a reliable weight? My polyester shirt weights 9 oz. I wear one and carry the other.

Panzer

Footslogger
06-20-2007, 11:23
My polyester shirt weights 9 oz. I wear one and carry the other.

Panzer
==============================

That's a pretty heavy shirt, all things considered. I think my long legged nylon pants weigh around 8 - 9 oz.

Most of the short sleeved synthetic T-shirts I own weigh about 3 oz. Course they're pretty well worn. Not sure what they weighed new.

'Slogger

Johnny Swank
06-20-2007, 14:06
I just go shirtless in the summer, and carry a thrift store short sleeve polyester shirt for towns. I roast otherwise.

Mags
06-20-2007, 14:20
I just go shirtless in the summer, and carry a thrift store short sleeve polyester shirt for towns. I roast otherwise.

That's what I use for hiking out West now and need sun protection. Just use a long sleeve version. A short-sleeve version would probably work well for the AT. Heck, it would be ideal. Unbutton as needed for ventilation if need be. Pockets too!

I have an "olive" complexion (which translates to: I have a light tan all year around and get really dark in the summer), but at elevation everyone roasts! Hence the long sleeves. The collar also protects my neck (with a large, wide brimmed hat)

Panzer1
06-20-2007, 18:37

Just watch out for the bees. If a swarm of those critters catches you without a shirt, well lets just say you won't be a happy camper.

Panzer

simon
06-20-2007, 18:49
A few people said cotton, that surprises me.

Panzer1
06-20-2007, 22:32

GlazeDog

If these shirts are so light, can they be any good. Is there a relationship between the weight of a shirt and the quality. If a shirt is so light, is it just because they are using less material, or cutting corners in some other way?

Panzer

LIhikers
06-21-2007, 09:26
I have 2 tee shirts by Mountain Hardware that I just love for hot summer hiking. They are very light weight, have soft fabric, and dry fast. And to top all of that off I got them cheap, at an end of summer sale a couple of years back.

taildragger
06-21-2007, 10:49
I have some columbia fishing shirts, they have vents on the back side, and I think some models might have pit vents. These seemed to do well with me, never noticed a stench, then again after day 2 I couldn't discern my scent for the life of me...

Look at what desert cultures tend to wear. White, with most of the body covered to keep that sun from roasting you. If heats a real question, then I'd look into a "Kilt" or trying to man up a skirt from the salvation army, and just go commando, I hear that its like having central air.

Also, with the fishing shirts, they are button ups, so if I get really hot I can undo some buttons for extra ventilation, or for when I go into a town and feel the need to show off the chest hair:eek:

Panzer1
07-01-2007, 03:07
I'm thinking that when it comes to t-shirts lighter is not necessarly better.

If the shirts are all made out of polyester then the lighter ones simply have less material. That may be good or it may be bad depending on your needs.

If the weather is cold you may want the heaver t-shirt on the theory that it will insulate more. If the weather is hot you may want the lighter t-shirt on the theory that it will be cooler.

Panzer

Ramble~On
07-01-2007, 05:43
Arcteryx Ether.

Quoddy
07-01-2007, 07:26
Mountain Hardware Duration T. Great wicking and feel. Seams are almost invisible and are specifically placed to avoid rubbing by a pack. Anti-microbal, too.

GlazeDog
07-01-2007, 15:44
Panzer1---
Sorry I've missed so many days from this post with questions for me. Of course I just washed the shirt--it is air drying--I'll get an accurate weight tomorrow. As far as durable if you follow that link from my first post you'll see Rich Williams atop Katadhin in his RailRiders Eco Speed shirt. One shirt -- the whole trail it says. So it must be durable. Also my personal experience is that it is as strong as other shirts I've worn. The main bodies tends to snag easier than most--but the snags aren't growing out of control, so I'm okay with the cosmetic blemish--who cares on the trail anyway.
About weight of shirt---if you look closely at the photos you'll see the colored body portion is a regular shirt, but the white sides are like a waffle mesh the is very open letting the air pass through easily--thus keeping you cooler. This waffle weave is really light I'm guessing--thus the weight is low.
Also--6.2 oz. is the weight I'm seeing on the website. But I have several lighter shirts at around 4 oz. from Patagonia, GoLite, Columbia, and Montbell. All of which seem pretty trail-strong to me. AFter all, the AT isn't really bushwacking--Maine can be gnarley though.

GlazeDog