Appalachian Tater
06-19-2007, 20:07
http://www.audubon.org/bird/stateofthebirds/CBID/

Nean
06-19-2007, 20:09
Everybody knows: call on your cell phone: kill ten birds:eek:

superman
06-19-2007, 20:39
I don't own a cell phone. It's like an aviary around my house. Pat keeps a book on the different types of birds that visit. I think it's darn nice of Pat to entice the birds near the house so I can get a better shot at them. (humor)

aaroniguana
06-19-2007, 21:35
We're losing the birds and the bees. What a horrible concept.

Tha Wookie
06-19-2007, 22:05
We're losing the birds and the bees. What a horrible concept.

remember, we chose war

Nean
06-20-2007, 00:48
remember, we chose war

and peace......;)

Tipi Walter
06-20-2007, 08:25
Excessive human numbers is the world's plague, accounting for habitat destruction. The solution is simple: Shrinking birth rates and the eventual thinning of the human population. The birds also have mercury in their bloodstreams from human pollution, I believe every bird in North America is affected.

Humans think they are god's chosen Ones on the planet and act accordingly. All other creatures will be wiped out to serve our whimsical purposes. I heard that all the fish in the oceans will be gone in 40 years. The catch is that we are all interconnected and each serves a purpose for the greater good, it's called Natural Harmony or Healthy Symbiosis or something. So we need each other to survive. But I think the planet has other plans for humanity, we are as fragile as a snowflake and the Earth can rub us out when needed. In the meantime, it's all about human choice and the wisdom(or lack of it)behind each choice.

Tabasco
06-20-2007, 08:37
I like birds..........they're tasty!

superman
06-20-2007, 09:36
That was fiction....right?
Soylent Green Biscuit Co. - Soylent Green Is People (http://www.soylent-green.com/)

woodsy
06-21-2007, 07:56
This link (http://www.birds.cornell.edu/publications/birdscope/Autumn2002/wood_thrush.html) from Cornell gives a thorough explanation on how acid rain is affecting bird populations, the Wood Thrush in particular . Interesting read for those curious.

Tractor
06-21-2007, 08:17
Observations:

We have been seeing more birds the past few years as well as many more species not usually stopping by or nesting here. While some of you see a decline aren't some of you seeing an increase in certain bird population in your area lately?

How can we keep count when their normal range keeps changing? I am hopeful at least some are not in decline but have moved and have not been accounted for recently.....

Tha Wookie
06-21-2007, 08:59
Observations:

We have been seeing more birds the past few years as well as many more species not usually stopping by or nesting here. While some of you see a decline aren't some of you seeing an increase in certain bird population in your area lately?

How can we keep count when their normal range keeps changing? I am hopeful at least some are not in decline but have moved and have not been accounted for recently.....

Bird counting methods answer your questions. These have been tried and tested to be reliable with a given degree of error. I appreciate your sentiment of hope but bird populations worldwide are in serious decline.

Hawaii is one of the saddest examples, where highly specialized nectar feeders are losing rapidly their food sources due to exotic invasive plants and development that is all but wiping out food sources.

An estimated 4-40 million migratory birds die annually in the US from collisions with communications towers.

There are some success stories, like the Bald Eagle and the Perigrine Falcon. These comebacks are a result of conservation actions, through legislation, enforcement, and reserve land status.

We will need more bold conservation action to preserve avian biodiversity.

smokymtnsteve
06-21-2007, 18:57
Humans think they are god's chosen Ones on the planet and act accordingly. .

I certainly DON"T think that,,,I must not be HUMAN:banana

Mr. Clean
06-23-2007, 09:59
We no longer have Towhee's here on our property:( , and both Grosbeaks and waxwings are very rare now where they used to be all very common. But, we do have dozens of Goldfinches. Seem to have a healthy thrush population as well; robins, veery, wood, and hermit thrushes.

oldbear
06-23-2007, 11:02
Sad but true. We seem to have elected officials that think that The Environment is a foreign country that we have an adversarial relationship with. Those who support this foreign country can therefore be considered the enemy and treated as such.
" I know he'd be a poorer man if he never saw an eagle fly " J.Denver

Nean
06-28-2007, 17:05
Bird counting methods answer your questions. These have been tried and tested to be reliable with a given degree of error.

An estimated 4-40 million migratory birds die annually in the US from collisions with communications towers.

36 million is a given degree eh?:-?

:eek:

;)

:D

leeki pole
06-28-2007, 17:25
I'm no expert, but an avid birdwatcher and photographer. We've had a good migration this year, especially hummingbirds (ruby-throated). They cleaned out my feeder in a couple of days. Lots of bluebirds, finches and even some cedar waxwings (haven't seen those in years). And yes, some rufous sided towhees as well. All in all, it's been a good migration. Maybe regional, I don't know, but the migratory birds run the residents off my feeders when they get here.

Frosty
06-28-2007, 17:52

36 million is a given degree eh?:-?

:eek:

;)

:DIt's called an order of magniture, a scientific term that gives a measurement that is estimated to be within a factor of ten. You could think of it as a scientist not knowing exactly, but estimating by saying, "I would be surprised if it were less than X, and equally surprised if it were more than ten times X."

So the size of an order of magnitude varies with the size of the number in question.

It could be 1 - 10, or 1 billion to 10 billion, or 4 million to 40 million.

The size of the number changes but the ratio is always the same.

emerald
06-28-2007, 18:04
We prefer the term order of magnitude in The Green Diamond.;)

Frosty
06-28-2007, 20:42
We prefer the term order of magnitude in The Green Diamond.;)It wsa jsut a stpuid tpyo. I mak ethem al teh tiem.