PDA

View Full Version : Digitial camera ideas?

Mags
06-20-2007, 13:39
My digital camera has croaked. A shame, the only thing wrong with it is the button. No parts are available as the camera is discontiued. My local camera shop was told by Olympus it would cost ~$150 to fix. :O

Looking at prices, I can find newer cameras in the price range.

So I am now in the market for a camera. I am looking for a point and shoot camera. Preferably with the following criteria:

-I have many xD cards, so Olympus or Fujitsu is preferred
-Runs on AA batteries
-The last one is a toughy: I prefer an optical viewfinder as it is how I take pictures AND it saves battery life

Any suggestions? Price range no more than $200-$250

Many thanks fellow hikers!

hammock engineer
06-20-2007, 13:44
I know you said xd, but you can get SD cards for around $20 for 2 gigs. Might be worth checking out. I have the Cannon A620. Heavy but great battery life.

A function that mine has that I will look for in all cameras now is a swivel LCD screen. I can take close ups at ground level without stooping over. It also closes so that the screen is protected when not in use.

I heard Olympus makes a waterproof camera, but that has an internal rechargable battery.

Footslogger
06-20-2007, 13:49
Mags ...check out the Canon A710IS.

Not one of the brands you mentioned but that's the one I've been watching. Good reviews so far. Runs on 2 AA's and has 6x optical zoom, which is nice for catching stuff off in the distance.

'Slogger

Mags
06-20-2007, 14:00
re: SD cards

I thought that after I posted. (Note to self: Memory is less $$$ now)

re: Canon

Looks like a possibility. Thanks!

Freeleo
06-20-2007, 14:03
pentax optio w10 is awsome for hiking and backpacking...takes video too

and waterproof...even can go under water up to ten ft. i am pretty sure.

not sure if you are looking for a camera this small.....as i just glanced at the thread

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_optiow10.asp

cheers
jch

trippclark
06-20-2007, 15:39
My digital camera has croaked. A shame, the only thing wrong with it is the button. No parts are available as the camera is discontiued. My local camera shop was told by Olympus it would cost ~$150 to fix. :O

Looking at prices, I can find newer cameras in the price range.

So I am now in the market for a camera. I am looking for a point and shoot camera. Preferably with the following criteria:

-I have many xD cards, so Olympus or Fujitsu is preferred
-Runs on AA batteries
-The last one is a toughy: I prefer an optical viewfinder as it is how I take pictures AND it saves battery life

Any suggestions? Price range no more than $200-$250

Many thanks fellow hikers!

Mags,

First, I would suggest that you contact Olympus yourself. Just over a year ago I had them repair my Stylus 300. It had what sounds to me like a much worse problem and they fixed it for $96, plus they put a new housing on it and gave it a warranty (90 days, I think). When it came back to me it looked brand new and is still working. Very pleased.

I also purchased a second camera, Olympus 720sw (now 770sw) which I really love. It is about $100 over your stated limit, but it is small, lightweight, ruggedized (shock proof) and waterproof (underwater pictures possible). It also has advanced features than make low light pictures much better than most small point and shoot cameras. Another really neat feature that is not advertised much but is very handy for backpacking is that it has a feature to record brief (3 second or so) sound clips with each picture. The handiness of this feature is hard to describe until you use it, but it allows me to tag each picture with a verbal description so that later labeling of the pictures is much easier.

Note this camera does not meet your battery or viewfinder desire either, but really does have some nice features that bear looking at.

Tripp

Rainman
06-20-2007, 16:33
I just did this research myself because I wanted to upgrade to better video quality. I like the Nikon CoolPix L series. The best ones are the L10 (5.1 megapixels), L11 (6.1 megapixels), & L12 (7.1 megapixels). None of them have an optical viewfinder, but they all use AA batteries. I use the Eveready lithium batteries because they last longer. They are also lighter than alkaline and easier than rechargeable.

I currently have a CoolPix 5600. I have had it on the trail for more than two weeks and taken over 400 exposures, plus video, with one set of lithium batteries that still worked after I got home. That camera has an optical viewfinder, but I almost never use it.

Personally, my next hiking camera will be the L12. Happy Shopping.

Cuffs
06-20-2007, 16:42
I had recently posted FS: Polaroid i832, 8MP, optical or lcd screen for viewing, AA batteries, SD card. Paid over $200 new, was asking $150 OBO...
If interested, send PM

bigcranky
06-21-2007, 08:40
Mags,

Finding a camera with an optical viewfinder that takes AA batteries is becoming more and more difficult. Some of the mid-range Canons (A-series) have both, but of course they take SD cards and they are somewhat larger/heavier than the smallest digital cameras. (This is relative, though -- they are still pretty small and light.)

I finally gave up on the AA battery requirement and just carry the charger and a spare battery. The newest chargers are tiny and weigh very little, and the batteries last for 400-500 pictures.

We have a couple of the Pentax W-20 waterproof cameras, which don't meet any of your stated requirements <grin>. They use rechargeable lithium batteries, take SD cards, and have only an LCD screen. But they are tiny, very light, and did I mention waterproof? I can carry it around my neck on a rainy day and not give it a second thought. The Olympus waterproof/shockproof model (770?) is even more protected against hikers.

The good news is this -- it's now very difficult to buy a bad digital camera. You can go down to Best Buy or Costco, find one with the features you like and a decent price, and it'll be fine.

Mags
06-21-2007, 10:58
Well, what can I say, I am overwhelmed by the amount of responses I received (about 2 dozen!).
I decided to go with the Canon A630.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_a630.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/shop/merchants.asp?id=canon_a640 (a 640 review, but the 630 is basically the 8mp version of this camera)
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a630_a640-review/

FWIW, I went with this camera because:

-It does use AA batteries
- Has the optical view finder. (Call me old fashioned, but I frame and compose pics better with the optical view finder. It works better outdoors than an LCD, too).
This part was by far the most important to me.
-As others pointed out to me, SD cards are dirt cheap now.

The A640 is a 10MP model, but was $100 more and the picture quality was not that much higher. I was seriously looking at the A710, but the A630 seems to have many features, is a solid performer, and was less money. I do not take many low light photographs, so the image stabilization feature is not as critical, esp. since I use a mini-tripod anyway.

It has many manual features, glowing reviews, and is a good step between a consumer grade camera and a professional SLR. One review called it a camera for the "serious amateur". I don't know how serious I am...but I am definitely amateur in many things I do. :-)

This type of camera (a P&S for someone into photography) is becoming increasingly scarce. The next step for me would be an SLR...and a big weight penalty. :( This camera better not break down!

I have used DPReviews in the past, and find it to be an awesome source for digital camera info.

Thanks again for ALL the suggestions.

Special thanks to Footslogger and Jim Bullard who both steered me in the Canon direction. (And Big Cranky,too, who posted his thoughts after I purchased the camera. :) His thoughts affirmed that the Canon was the right choice for me)

scope
06-21-2007, 12:19
I'd like to second what Bigcranky said and offer this....

I owned a Canon A620 and I liked it, but would not consider it for hiking - just too bulky unless you're putting it in your pack and only taking it out when you stop. Bigger camera also means its a bigger pain to keep dry.

The Canon models you mention above, like the A620, take 4 AA batteries - that's a lot of weight, especially if you're taking backups. I understand well the convenience of being able to buy AA's just about anywhere, but I do think the rechargables are better now and last longer than the AAs do. Having a fully charged backup weighs less than 2 AAs and would get you just about anywhere you'd need to go on the trail between stops in town.

I now have a Canon SD750. Great small, slim size, good battery (rechargable) life, great pics. One of the things I discovered about it which I did not know when I purchased it was that the digital zoom is actually very usable. As you probably know, digital zoom typically isn't worth squat, but this one produces good 4x6 prints at 12x (3x optical). If the viewfinder is your thing, then you might look at the SD1000 which has one and is otherwise a similar camera (for $50 less).

Mags
06-21-2007, 12:34
T Having a fully charged backup weighs less than 2 AAs and would get you just about anywhere you'd need to go on the trail between stops in town.

Ah..but I tend to hiking that is getting progressively more and more off the beaten path. I suspect the recharge batteries would be fine for the AT. I would not have wanted to deal with that on my 2006 CDT hike.

Everything has pluses and minuses.

I am a fairly serious amatuer photographer. The SLR is obviously too heavy/big..most consumer level P&S lack many manual features and things I need. So, the A6xx is a nice compromise. Plus, for outdoor photography (and for framing/composing), the lack of an optical viewfinde can often be a liability. SLR cameras have an optical view finder for a reason. What can I say..the optical view finder is needed for my use! :D

I keep my camera in a pouch and NEVER in my pack. I find if the camera is in my pack, I use it less.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.

hootyhoo
06-21-2007, 19:29
the canon a560. the thing i like the most is that it is so easy to opertate. going to macro or turning off the flash is extremely convenient. AA batteries and a really good view finder. The reason i bought it was that it takes really good macro shots. it was less than 200. not sure if your cards will fit, but i got a 2gig for $23.00. its not the smallest, or the most expensive, but it works for me. oh yeah- and the software is a million times better than the nikon stuff.

Nightwalker
06-22-2007, 05:55
re: SD cards

I thought that after I posted. (Note to self: Memory is less $$$ now)

re: Canon

Looks like a possibility. Thanks!

The Nikons are really coming down now as well. I paid 180 for a 5 MP Nikon Coolpix last year. I saw an 8 MP of the same model for 160 recently. The pictures are excellent, plus the camera is moderately light and small. Lithium batteries last for hundreds of photos in my 5 MP version. You can run it full auto, or set most any function manually.

I'd recommend the Nikon Coolpix to anyone getting a digital camera.