PDA

View Full Version : G.I. Hammock

Tsani
06-20-2007, 14:36
Anybody out there ever hiked with a G.I. hammock? I know it's heavier than your Hennessy, but it has worked very well for me.

You can't beat the price. They go for about $45 - and I'll tell you straight out I'm a cheapskate.

I hear some of you complaining about the netting in your face. Never happens with a G.I. hammock. I do have to put up more lines than you new-fangled hangers, but it doesn't bother me and I sleep like a baby in it.

I think my bottom side stays warmer too - thanks to that heavy canvas I am toting.

I'll probably get pack sores from carrying all that weight, but I guess its what you're used to.

Some folks are just hard-headed.:D

peter_pan
06-20-2007, 20:29
I used an M1965 Jungle Hammock for while.... took a seam ripper and remover the stretcher sleeves and the repair kit pocket ... got the weight down.... still it is small... not the most stable... Watch the end cords.... one broke and dropped me at 2 AM in 5 inches of March snow in Low Gap GA in 2003... sent it home at Hot Springs and got a HH... since gave it away.

Pan

ImkerVS
06-20-2007, 20:42
GI hammocks. Man does that bring back memories. Grew up in Huntsville, Alabama near Redstone Arsenal. First camping I ever did with my dad and brother, we all had GI hammocks. Never forget the storms, my first out in the forest with rain and lightning.. Never will forget the smell of that canvas. Heavy thing, probably heavier back then than they are now. I slept well. That's why I got an HH. Different smell though.

Tsani
06-21-2007, 15:01
You would think after owning it for several years I would know all about it, but I did some research on my hammock and discovered that it is made by Rothco. I don't think it is the same as the M1965 model. I am probably pushing the weight limit with my 240 lbs. but it has never given me any trouble. I worry that the netting is going to start to tear - but it hasn't happened yet.

I haven't had too much trouble with getting wet in it, but I have used several kinds of improvised tarps. One night when it was raining sideways I had to shift my tarps around a bit, but as a rule I have always slept dry in it. I am looking forward to using my new sil-nylon tarp - but mainly for weight reduction.

One drawback is that there is no kind of "cargo pocket". I usually keep everything in my pack and put a waterproof cover over it when it rains. I can hang my boots from the rigging and any other light items go in the hammock with me.

neo
08-10-2007, 11:54
I used an M1965 Jungle Hammock for while.... took a seam ripper and remover the stretcher sleeves and the repair kit pocket ... got the weight down.... still it is small... not the most stable... Watch the end cords.... one broke and dropped me at 2 AM in 5 inches of March snow in Low Gap GA in 2003... sent it home at Hot Springs and got a HH... since gave it away.

Pan

i would not recommend it,to short and narrow.this is a better alternative:cool: neo

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-Army-style-JUNGLE-HAMMOCK-with-mosquito-net-ropes_W0QQitemZ220138994436QQihZ012QQcategoryZ1604 0QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

pic of my sons hammock

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1171&c=2

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1170&c=2

Tsani
08-14-2007, 11:43
That's nice one! Great price too. The only thing that gives me pause is ordering from Ho Chi Minh City...:-?

Welcome to the wonderful world of globalization.

neo
08-14-2007, 12:21
That's nice one! Great price too. The only thing that gives me pause is ordering from Ho Chi Minh City...:-?

the postal stamp actually said south siagon on it.:cool: neo

neo
08-14-2007, 12:23

the shipping was very fast,got to my doorstep in a little over a week:cool: neo

Tsani
08-14-2007, 14:20
I guess you didn't get that fly with the package. What type of fly is that?

Ramble~On
08-14-2007, 16:38
I had one of those..never could get comfy...the banana shape, canoe effect is pretty much all you got with these...laying at an angle is tough and they're heavy and take too long to set up....so I grabbed a seam ripper and had at it...took the hammock apart and ended up with some great parts that have since been incorporated into other thingies.

For $45.00 and an hour or two you can make a pretty sweet hammock...or buy one...I think I paid $19.95 for my Byer....weighs a pound. The Byer's fragile and I have destroyed more than one but $19.95..I spend more than that on food and booze for an outting....

neo
08-14-2007, 21:01
I guess you didn't get that fly with the package. What type of fly is that?

its a 9x9 guide gear digital tarp aka neo tarp,it is only availible in woodland camo now,awesome tarp:cool: neo

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247

Tsani
08-15-2007, 16:02
Heh, heh! I got the same one. Haven't used it yet though, the weather's been too nice. I've got plans to go out again pretty soon and it will probably get an airing then.

The thing I liked about your Ho Chi Minh hammock is the "no tip" feature. Mine can be tippy. I started guying off on the corners and that solves the problem. I have the lines all set up and I just run out to where I hit ground and put in a stake.