PDA

View Full Version : Side trails in Standing Indian area

UnkaJesse
06-20-2007, 14:57
I am taking my father in law on a training hike in preparation for a trip to the Wind River Range in WY later this year. I have selected the section around Standing Indian so we can do as much or as little of the loop as he can handle. My plan is to start with the Beech Gap trail and hike NB as far as he wants to go, camp, and come out the next day -- again as far as he feels like.

I'm hoping for some local intel on the condition of these blue-blazers. The last time I hiked the Beech Gap Trail it was to bail out when one of my hiking buddies came down with walking pneumonia. (Story for another time...) I remember it was only slightly overgrown and did not appear heavily used, however, this was back during college. Pearl Jam had just released the Ten album to give you a time reference. ;-) Has anyone been on it lately?

I'm also concerned about about finding the trailhead at the road. Is it signed as the Beech Gap Trail, or is there some landmark there so I can know I'm starting in the right spot.

What is the condition of the other side trails? Our goal would be to take the Bearpen Gap Trail out. I know this is not very ambitious, but I'm trying to erase a brutal hike on the Jacks River Trail in waders from his memory. (yet another story...)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

UJ

Mother Nature
06-20-2007, 17:18
I was just on the Beech Gap Trail about a month ago. It is in good condition with a new bridge. The trail is multiuse with horses.

The trailhead is well marked with a sign but extremely limited parking available. Anyone with horse trailer and truck would completely consume the parking.

I haven't been on the other trail you mentioned recently.

I have been on the Kimsey Creek Trail and it is also in excellent shape.

MN

orangebug
06-20-2007, 23:41
I'd encourage the Kimsey Creek Trail as a way to put in. Parking is at the backcountry lot, with lots available and the state park is nearby. You can also pay a fee to park in the park, which may be even safer.

There are very many ways off the AT and down to the parking lot. The worst would be to have to go down and road walk on the FS roads and bring the car to your father.

I'd start Kimsey Creek, head north and camp (if possible) on the summit of Standing Indian for the first night. He will enjoy the stars, sunset and the great sunrise show as the mountain casts a shadow on western NC. Then begin walking north and plan on looping back at Glassmine Gap, which will take you straight to the car. This can be done in 2 days, but plan on 3 to keep it fun.

Since you are heading out west, plan do the climb up Mt Albert, unless storms are threatening. It is a fun challenge. Last time in snow and ice, I blue blazed around it, but have enjoyed it all the other times.

I am currently planning a family backpacking weekend with 4 and 11 yo girls. We will park at Low Gap and head up Standing Indian (2 miles). I plan to do a simple "out and back" hike the next day before returning to the car. I'd like to take them to Carter Gap shelter, but we will see.

Ron Haven
06-20-2007, 23:45
I am taking my father in law on a training hike in preparation for a trip to the Wind River Range in WY later this year. I have selected the section around Standing Indian so we can do as much or as little of the loop as he can handle. My plan is to start with the Beech Gap trail and hike NB as far as he wants to go, camp, and come out the next day -- again as far as he feels like.

I'm hoping for some local intel on the condition of these blue-blazers. The last time I hiked the Beech Gap Trail it was to bail out when one of my hiking buddies came down with walking pneumonia. (Story for another time...) I remember it was only slightly overgrown and did not appear heavily used, however, this was back during college. Pearl Jam had just released the Ten album to give you a time reference. ;-) Has anyone been on it lately?

I'm also concerned about about finding the trailhead at the road. Is it signed as the Beech Gap Trail, or is there some landmark there so I can know I'm starting in the right spot.

What is the condition of the other side trails? Our goal would be to take the Bearpen Gap Trail out. I know this is not very ambitious, but I'm trying to erase a brutal hike on the Jacks River Trail in waders from his memory. (yet another story...)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

UJUkaJesse,Beech Gap is marked well with a big sign on FS67 and you can hike 2.8 miles N to the A T. go N or left on the A T 1.8 miles to Timber Ridge Trail.Turn left on Timber Ridge 2.3 miles to FS67 and turn left on the gravel rd oppx 3/10ths mileto where you started.

Another is starting in Standing Indian CG on Kimsey Creek south 3.7 miles to Deep Gap.Turn left or N on the A T 2.4 miles to the top of Standing Indian Mtn.Turn left or N on Low Ridge Trail to Standing Indian Camp Ground.Turn left 1/10th mile to where you startes on Kimsey Creek Trail.

Another is from Standing Indian Camp Ground on Park Creek Trail 2.4 miles th FS71.Turn left 2.1 miles and there is a parking lot on the left.At the back of the lot turn left on Kimsey Creek Trail oppx 3 miles left on Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian CG or continue on FS71 3/4 miles more to Deep Gap and turn left on Kimsey Creek and 3.7 miles to Standing Indian CG.

Another is at Deep Gap go straight ahead on what appears to be an old logging rd marked Deep Gap for 1/10 mile.Turn left on the blue blaze trail which is Deep Gap trail and hike 1 1/4 mile ta a split in the blue blazes.To the right only goes to a parking lot next to Tate City,Ga but if you turn left this is Beech Gap trail oppx 1 1/2 mile to the A T.left is south and right is North.Straight 2.8 miles is FS67.

Chunky Gal is 5.5 steep miles from US64 to the A T turn left 3.3 miles to Deep Gap.

Standing Indian CG has a B Blaze to the east called Long Branch Trail oppx 2 miles to Gasmine Gap on the A T.N is left and 2 1/2 miles to Rock Gap and S is right 3.4 to Mt Albert.At the S base of Mt Albert cross FS67 and is the beginning of Bear Pen Trail.I think it is about 5 miles? to where it comes back out on FS67 near Hurricane Creek.I know where Bear Pen starts and stops but I have never hiked it.

Lilred
06-21-2007, 09:56
I'd encourage the Kimsey Creek Trail as a way to put in. Parking is at the backcountry lot, with lots available and the state park is nearby. You can also pay a fee to park in the park, which may be even safer.

There are very many ways off the AT and down to the parking lot. The worst would be to have to go down and road walk on the FS roads and bring the car to your father.

I'd start Kimsey Creek, head north and camp (if possible) on the summit of Standing Indian for the first night. He will enjoy the stars, sunset and the great sunrise show as the mountain casts a shadow on western NC. Then begin walking north and plan on looping back at Glassmine Gap, which will take you straight to the car. This can be done in 2 days, but plan on 3 to keep it fun.

Since you are heading out west, plan do the climb up Mt Albert, unless storms are threatening. It is a fun challenge. Last time in snow and ice, I blue blazed around it, but have enjoyed it all the other times.

I am currently planning a family backpacking weekend with 4 and 11 yo girls. We will park at Low Gap and head up Standing Indian (2 miles). I plan to do a simple "out and back" hike the next day before returning to the car. I'd like to take them to Carter Gap shelter, but we will see.

YOu can take the timberland trail( not sure about that name, it's timber something) It comes out about 1 mile south of Carter Gap shelter.

Lilred
06-21-2007, 10:01
Sorry it's the TimberRidge Trail

UnkaJesse
06-21-2007, 13:16
Thanks for the info!!!

UJ