PDA

View Full Version : Permits

Flexo
06-20-2007, 16:57
I searched around for a while and couldn't find a concise list of permits required on the trail. I am sure it is somewhere...I just couldn't find it.

At any rate, I did find a place where it mentions that a pass is needed for GSMNP and that a pass can not be obtained any earlier than 30 days ahead of time.

And we get a National Park Pass with a NFS sticker every year since we live so close to the Grand Canyon. It really saves on the fees :)

Before I start hiking I plan on traveling around quite a bit.

So before I ramble on any further. I am wondering a few things:

1.) Should I bother bringing my national park pass?

2.) Are there other permits that are required? If so where?

3.) If I apply for a permit and I am traveling around, can I pick it up at a ranger station? How do I get my dirty hiker hands on it?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Lone Wolf
06-20-2007, 17:13
you need a permit for the great smoky mtn. national park and the shenandoah nat. park. you fill out your own pass upon entering each park at the self-serve kiosk. free. your NPS pass means nothing on foot.

RiverWarriorPJ
06-20-2007, 18:49
your NPS pass means nothing on foot.
x
The GuY Just Has a Way w/Words..:eek:..lol..

Nest
06-20-2007, 19:02
As far as GSMNP goes, I was in Fontana last week, and it seemed real easy to do. Right when you exit the woods there is a bathroom and a phone to call for a shuttle. Next to that there is a little bulletin board with a box full of passes. You fill out the pass, tear off your portion, and drop the registration part into a ballot box type of thing. Just carry your part until you leave the park. You could do it while you wait for the shuttle to resupply.

Appalachian Tater
06-20-2007, 19:08
Basically, what people are telling you is that any pass or permit you need is available right on the trail. Nothing to plan ahead for!

C-Stepper
06-21-2007, 06:45
Are you asking about permits while you are a thru hiker?

OR

...are you asking about permits because you're visiting the Smokies before your hike?

OR

...both, I cannot tell.

You won't need your park pass, entrance to the Smokies are free, whether on foot or by other visitation means.

You need a permit for backcountry camping in the park. If you are a thru hiker, then, as others have mentioned, you will just get a permit at the self serve spot on each end of the park. However, if you are planning for a visit, not a thru, AND you plan to camp in the backcountry, AND you are planning on camping in certain sites OR a shelter, you have to reserve these up to 30 days in advance. Then you put your reservation number on the permit that you get at any ranger station.

See this link for details http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm

Marta
06-21-2007, 07:50
Welcome to the Wild East! Ditto what all the other have said. If you're planning for a thru-hike, cross permits off this list as something to worry about. Just fill out your little pieces of paper as you cross into the National Parks.

Marta/Five-Leaf

jlb2012
06-21-2007, 08:00
the NPS pass might be of some use if you are planning on driving any in SNP but otherwise forget it

also note the entrance people are checking ID along with the NPS pass these days so make sure your ID name/signature matches

Flexo
06-21-2007, 14:43
Are you asking about permits while you are a thru hiker?

OR

...are you asking about permits because you're visiting the Smokies before your hike?

OR

...both, I cannot tell.

You won't need your park pass, entrance to the Smokies are free, whether on foot or by other visitation means.

You need a permit for backcountry camping in the park. If you are a thru hiker, then, as others have mentioned, you will just get a permit at the self serve spot on each end of the park. However, if you are planning for a visit, not a thru, AND you plan to camp in the backcountry, AND you are planning on camping in certain sites OR a shelter, you have to reserve these up to 30 days in advance. Then you put your reservation number on the permit that you get at any ranger station.

See this link for details http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm

Holy Boolean operator Batman!

I am planning a thru or at least half ;), from Springer through Harper's Ferry.

I have a paid 8 week sabbatical from work which I am trying to extend to 12 weeks. We will see how much hiking I can get done during that time.

My *plan* is to do as much of the AT as I can. I *think* hiking the AT is what I want to do with my time off and I enjoy planning bits and pieces of the hike as 2008 approaches. But I don't want to bite off more than I can chew or get out there and decide it is something I really don't enjoy and hopefully there will not be injuries or illness :(. So as part of my plan, there is a Plan B if I have to leave or decide to leave the trail.

So, I was mostly asking as a thru hiker but all of the feedback is appreciated as I may end up just doing some major section hiking. I assumed that the permits were for backwoods hikers but I would rather ask now than find myself at SNP sans permit.

The Weasel
06-21-2007, 15:39
I searched around for a while and couldn't find a concise list of permits required on the trail. I am sure it is somewhere...I just couldn't find it.

At any rate, I did find a place where it mentions that a pass is needed for GSMNP and that a pass can not be obtained any earlier than 30 days ahead of time.

And we get a National Park Pass with a NFS sticker every year since we live so close to the Grand Canyon. It really saves on the fees :)

Before I start hiking I plan on traveling around quite a bit.

So before I ramble on any further. I am wondering a few things:

1.) Should I bother bringing my national park pass?

2.) Are there other permits that are required? If so where?

3.) If I apply for a permit and I am traveling around, can I pick it up at a ranger station? How do I get my dirty hiker hands on it?

Thanks in advance for any info!

There is a difference between the National Park card that is an annual admission fee card, and the Backcountry Permits that are often required, including along the AT in GSMNP. Backcountry permits are free to all, and can be obtained at Ranger Stations or at Fontana and are self-filled in. The National Park Adventure Pass doesn't apply to those. You might need one, though, for access to some places in Parks. If you're just going to hike through the AT in the Smokies, you don't need the National Park pass.

The Weasel

nhalbrook
06-21-2007, 15:44
Bingo! - can't stop chortling.

Flexo
06-21-2007, 17:15
Ahhhh....so glad the logic humor didn't go unnoticed :D

I'm full of Math humor...