PDA

View Full Version : Hiking near Easton PA?

BobK-upstateNY
10-06-2003, 21:28
I'm new to this site (I'm a Viewsfromthetop.com regular) and searching for info further south than the Adirondacks.

My wife & I will be visiting our daughter at Lafayette College in Easton PA during the weekend of 10/11. She expressed an interest in going for a hike. I'm from upstate NY and don't know that area.

She heard someone say the Appalachain Trail was nearby. I did a web search this afternoon and it looked like Wind Gap area might be the closest. Any thoughts as to how long a drive that would be from Easton and where specifically to go?

Any other suggestions for a nice 3-6 mile hike near to Easton appreciated. Are there nice hikes alond the Delaware river in that area?

Crash
10-06-2003, 22:17
you can catch the AT by going Rte 22 W to Rte 33 no to Wind Gap about 18 miles. no real views there.

BUT the best great place near the AT is 'Hawk Mtn.' which is more westerly. take Rte 22 west onto Rte 78 west and get off @ Rte 143 north (Lenhartsville) and follow signs for Hawk mountain. the Hawks should be out. 'The Pinnacle' is nearby - the best view in all of PA for a 2nd hike. Hawk Mtn. has a website. http://www.hawkmountain.org bring binoculars. Its worth the trip.

Lafayette has a rock climbing wall in the Gym.

greyowl
10-07-2003, 07:04
I live in Easton and I can highly Recommend the Delaware Water Gap area. Take 22 west to 33 north. Rt33 Joins RT 209 and then splits off to the left. Saty on RT 209 (Signs say to I-80 East). Take I-80 East, Cross the Bribge to New Jersey (Return Trip will cost you $1.25) and take first Exit. There is a welcome station there where you can obtain maps. Follow the road under I-80 to the trail head parking lot and hike the AT (Better yet the Dunfield Creek Trail) to Sunfish Pond.This can become an 8 mile loop hike with 4 miles on the AT. Somewhat Rocky, a good climb (especially if you take the Dunfield Creek Trail to the pond). Wish I could meet you, but I will be in Washington DC that weekend. Enjoy. THe colors are atarting to turn a bit in Easton. Who knows what they will be like in the Gap.

Grey Owl