PDA

View Full Version : semi gear list query

Companion
10-06-2003, 23:21
This isnt a complete gear list. This is clothes for the thru hike...

1.undergarments: cotton is out, obviously...i need something i can wear for days without washing and doesnt smell..well..funky...capileine is what is suggested..this would be 2 pairs other than what i'd already be wearing. so 3 pairs.

2.base layer: i have heard good things about 'hot chilly' for baselayer. I was think of one pair of this if i am starting out in the middle of winter along with another pair of good wicking clothes..top and bottom.

3.sleepwear: i cant decide what i should wear to bed. is cotton ok for the night? in winter too? its either cotton sleepwear or light, microfleece(is it overkill during the summer months?) or one of those hunter's thermal wear thingies you can pick up at walmart...the idea is to wear comfortable sleepwear and since i havent decided when i am leaving(jan or march), it has to be something that works from cold months to warm months at night.

4.town clothes: whatever...really..is this necessary? everyone makes it a point to add this set....

5.middle layer: one microfleece vest or pullover. two pairs of microfleece pants(is there such a thing?) and here is something i havent decided upon yet..how many ayes and how many nays for a ..........softshell top...its supposedly waterproof, windproof and breathable...i am even willing to sell my neighbour's little brat to pay the obscene price for one of these soft shell jackets...anybody have one of these? its either this or the other slightly windproofy fleece top with some superpolartec component....feedback?

6.outerlayer: waterproof shell pants and jacket.

7.misc: one pair of soft gloves and one pair of waterproof gloves(if i starting by winter) 2 pairs of socks. head band, bandana(2), fleece cap, face mask(i am terrified of rats in the shelters..dont want them go poo-poo on me)

8.on me: a pair of pants and a top..pair of socks...shoes

9.footwear: down booties(for winter) and a pair of sandals(on trail and at camp during summer)

10. should i?: down jacket for winter?

obviously, i am going to have to split this into winter wear and summer wear..so at any given point, i am only going to carry half of the list above or should i keep everything in my pack as a 'backup'?

chris
10-07-2003, 09:08
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Companion
This isnt a complete gear list. This is clothes for the thru hike...

1.undergarments: cotton is out, obviously...i need something i can wear for days without washing and doesnt smell..well..funky...capileine is what is suggested..this would be 2 pairs other than what i'd already be wearing. so 3 pairs.

I use Andiamo skins, 1 pair. These are like very thin cycling shorts. Not the padded kind. 3 pairs would certainly be overkill.

2.base layer: i have heard good things about 'hot chilly' for baselayer. I was think of one pair of this if i am starting out in the middle of winter along with another pair of good wicking clothes..top and bottom.

A set of midweight thermals, any brand. You'll probably send these back or put them in a bounce box once June arrives. If you leave in Jan., consider bringing a second set of heavy weight thermals to be used only once you've arrived in camp. This was, you can get out of sweaty things and into warm, dry things. This doubles as sleep wear.

3.sleepwear:

See the above comment for sleepwear for a Jan. start. For a March start, you probably won't be wearing the midweights during the day. Put them on at night to sleep in. Once spring and summer arrives, you won't want to be sleeping in very much. Take a liner for your sleeping bag.

4.town clothes: whatever...really..is this necessary? everyone makes it a point to add this set....

Not necessary, but nice. Getting in to town and having some clean clothes to put on is a real treat. Taking a shower and putting on dirty clothes sucks. So does spending a day in Frogg Toggs. That being said, I didn't carry town clothes. I tended only to wear one set of clothes between town hauls, and switched into the other when I got into town.

5.middle layer: one microfleece vest or pullover. two pairs of microfleece pants(is there such a thing?) and here is something i havent decided upon yet..how many ayes and how many nays for a ..........softshell top...its supposedly waterproof, windproof and breathable...i am even willing to sell my neighbour's little brat to pay the obscene price for one of these soft shell jackets...anybody have one of these? its either this or the other slightly windproofy fleece top with some superpolartec component....feedback?

This depends on when you start. If you start in Jan. I would go with a fleece and a separate insulation piece (more later). If you start in march, I would probably go with the same (but different). Softshells don't have to cost a fortune. Check out www.mec.ca to see a couple of softshells for a bit over $100 US (the prices on the site are canadian pesos). I have an early softshell jacket from Moonstone that I love and hate. It is really tough and does well against the wind, but isn't very warm and is rather heavy. Problem is, it is so tough that I can't seem to damage it. You can go a cheap route and buy cheap fleece and get good warmth, if little wind protection. But, you are probably carrying a rain jacket,right? The midlayer I take most often (when I won't have to hike in it) is a Northern Lite II pullover from MEC (above website). Insulated with primaloft and fairly light. If I was going to start hiking in March, I'd take the softshell (since I already have it) and the pullover, or spring for a warmer softshell from MEC. If Jan., I'd take the softshell and spring for a WM Flight down jacket and a pair of fleece pants.

6.outerlayer: waterproof shell pants and jacket.

Buy a Frogg Toggs or Rainshield set. Frogg Toggs are very light, cheap, and suprisingly durable. At least as breathable as Goretex and probably more waterproof. See www.rainshield.co m or www.froggtoggs.com

7.misc: one pair of soft gloves and one pair of waterproof gloves(if i starting by winter) 2 pairs of socks. head band, bandana(2), fleece cap, face mask(i am terrified of rats in the shelters..dont want them go poo-poo on me)

If you start in winter, go with 4 pairs of socks. If you are in trail runners, 3 running socks, 1 thick and warm socks. If you start in March, I would take 3 pair, all runners. Take 1 bandana. If you are scared of rats, don't go to New York. I've never encountered rats in the shelters south of Damascus. If you are afraid of mice, bring a cat with you.

9.footwear: down booties(for winter) and a pair of sandals(on trail and at camp during summer)

Definitely down booties. You can't imagine the jealous looks I get when I pull mine on. Forget about the sandles. If you really want campshoes, you can make a set out of old insoles. The instructions are at www.trailquest.net. If you want to hike in sandals, I'd look into this a bit more. I've met and read about a lot people who had there trip ended by switching into sandals for hiking.

10. should i?: down jacket for winter?

I would, if I was going to start in Jan. By the way, don't carry a lot of backup gear in your pack. Carry what you need, plus enough for a safety margin. The rest should go into a bounce box, or get mailed home until you need it again.

Companion
10-07-2003, 15:27
haha...i didnt know the difference between rats and mice...i am sure neither are friendly... :p