PDA

View Full Version : Shaws or Lake Shore House

Footslogger
06-22-2007, 09:27
Heading back to Maine in August. Will need to leave a car in Monson while we hike back there from Rangeley. Have stayed at Shaws twice but never have been to the Lake Shore House.

Those of you who have stayed at either of them recently ...whatayathink ?

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

Nightwalker
06-24-2007, 01:28
Those of you who have stayed at either of them recently ...whatayathink ?

Thanks in advance ...

'Slogger

Shaws is so the bomb. I got up at 5 AM and the guy was already cooking that huge breakfast. Good conversation as well.

P.S. August in Maine is a little slice of heaven. I hope to go back this year. :sun

attroll
06-24-2007, 03:27
I would go with Shaw's. I have met both owners and lets just say Shaw's is the way to go. They are still for the hikers and that is there main concern.

rickb
06-24-2007, 08:03
We stayed at the Lake Shore house last winter (Shaws was closed).

Its a B&B rather than a hostel. Clean. Struck me as a good value.

The bar/restaraunt out back had really good food. Hosts were friendly. Its worth dropping into the laundry downstairs just to check out the old photos on the walls.

Footslogger
06-24-2007, 11:15
Sent e-mails to both. Only got one reply ...from Rebekah at the Lake Shore House.

Since I've stayed at Shaw's twice I decided to give the Lake Shore House a shot.

If we were doing a thru I wouldn't even be going through this process. However, we're driving in with a rental car, overnighting and then catching a shuttle down to Rangeley the next morning. So ..we wanted more of a "sure thing".

Thanks for the feedback. Will probably post something about our stay after the hike.

'Slogger

DavidNH
06-24-2007, 11:22
I did not stay at the Lake Shore House so I can't comment on that establishment. Howerver, I DID stay at Shaws.

Shaws is absolutely fabulous! There breakfasts are incredible. You can get for example 4 scrambled (4 scrambled eggs, 4 strips bacon, for pancakes or french toast) or 3 or 6 all for same price. 12>50 extra gets you a huge dinner on some nighs. I think lodging was like 17 bucks a night in 2006.
They are right down down. You can get shuttled into Greenville for re-supply (6 or 12 bucks I forget which it was). You will want to re-supply if yoiu are going north because you go into 100 mile wilderness. I was not impressed with Monson grocery facilities.

Also the beds at Shaws where nice and comfy and atmosphere very relaxed. I LOVED this place!

David (snickers)

Footslogger
06-24-2007, 11:28
I did not stay at the Lake Shore House so I can't comment on that establishment. Howerver, I DID stay at Shaws.

Shaws is absolutely fabulous! There breakfasts are incredible. You can get for example 4 scrambled (4 scrambled eggs, 4 strips bacon, for pancakes or french toast) or 3 or 6 all for same price. 12>50 extra gets you a huge dinner on some nighs. I think lodging was like 17 bucks a night in 2006.
They are right down down. You can get shuttled into Greenville for re-supply (6 or 12 bucks I forget which it was). You will want to re-supply if yoiu are going north because you go into 100 mile wilderness. I was not impressed with Monson grocery facilities.

Also the beds at Shaws where nice and comfy and atmosphere very relaxed. I LOVED this place!

David (snickers)

=========================================

Can't agree more. Stayed at Shaw's in 2001 and 2003. Beds and food were definitely something to write home about. I mailed myself a drop box so re-supply wasn't an issue in terms of local Monson stores. We plan on doing the same thing this year.

At least this way I'll have a basis to compare the two establishments.

'Slogger

TJ aka Teej
06-24-2007, 15:22
It all depends on what you want.
Shaw's is still an old school hostel, and rather busy and noisey at times. The new owners are the finest kind. Great Food.
Lake Shore House is run by wicked nice people, and is kinda cleaner and quieter. Great Food.
I've stayed at every place from the church hostel to Lindy's crash pad to $5 stealth tent sites in 'downtown' Monson, with old owners and new. I have to say the new situtation (LSH, Shaws, Spring Creek BBQ, Tim's General Store, the new PO, etc) is the best it's ever been.
Hope you're in town for the Friday music night at the General Store!

warraghiyagey
06-25-2007, 02:10
Shaws. And only Shaws. They are 100 percent about and for the hikers. I've actually been there twice since I summitted Katahdin as my friend Brit surprised me by summitting for his SOBO 11 days later, so as I'm slowing up for him, Dawn picked me up in Stratton and brought me back to hang with my English friend for a couple days.
Dawn, Dana, Sue, Dick and Ashley are the greatest of folks whose concerns for hikers fall well beyond their own needs.
The Lake Shore house is nice for a bite at lunch or dinner and a couple drinks (unless you want to avoid bar fights which have been a plague there the last couple weeks-including quite a few swings taken by the owner).
But for a true hiker experience and surroundings the folks at Shaws are fully in tune with the great people on the trail.
And if you are fortunate enough to be there on Friday night, check out the Jam at Tim's General store. These musicians reach your soul in surroundings unlike any you'll likely ever see and Tim is truly one of the great men you'll meet on the trail.
Peace to all in Monson - a great trail town.
And thanks to everyone at Shaws who have made my experience there this summer great not once, but twice. It is home.

Red Hat
07-14-2008, 14:25
I stayed at Shaws (in the Warraghiyagey Suite rm 9), but went down to the Lakeshore house for dinner. Both are great! If you want a bunkroom, go to Shaws. If you want a private or double, either is nice. If there were a next time, I'd probably stay at Lakeshore and go to Shaw's for breakfast like several of my buddies did. Lakeshore has a better view of the lake (duh, Lakeshore...). Shaws gets more people, but both places were totally full this weekend. Monson rocks!

Phreak
07-14-2008, 14:50
I stayed at The Lakeshore House last June, and it's a nice place. The owners, Jeff & Rebekah, are awesome hosts.

Great food, atmosphere, and prices.

WalkingStick75
07-14-2008, 19:33
I stayed at Shaws last year, great place but had dinner and "refreshments" at Lakeshore and met the owners, equally great! Can't go wrong with either.

attroll
07-15-2008, 02:39
The Lake Shore House is up for sale by the owners Jeff & Rebekah. If anyone one is interested it is selling for 1/2 million I believe.

Matteroo
07-16-2008, 05:47
the heck? my post removed?

EarlyBird2007
07-16-2008, 06:23
I stayed at Shaws in Aug. during my 2007 thru. Just a great place. I had pizza and a few beers at Lake Shore House. I think Shaws is a quieter place and their breakfast is amazing. I think LSH has more of a party atmosphere if that is your thing.

hopefulhiker
07-16-2008, 07:36
I stayed at both the Shaws and the Lake Shaw house. The four by four breakfast at the Shaw's was incredible! But if you have the money, the Lake Shore house offers private rooms and great views of the lake. When I was there it also had one of the best laundries on the trail.

rafe
07-16-2008, 07:40
I'd put Shaws in a league with Elmers' in a short list of must-visit hostels on the AT. Both have been around for ages.

attroll
07-16-2008, 11:18
the heck? my post removed?
That was my fault. I posted something that should have not been posted and did not want to start getting this off topic on what I mentioned. I had to edit my post and delete all the posts that referenced my uncalled for topic. My apologies.

Time Traveler
07-16-2008, 11:54
I'm actually staying at Shaws right now and it's a lovely. The bunk room is super homey and COLORFUL and the atmosphere is great. The only things Lake Shore's got that Shaws doesn't are canoos and kayaks too take out on the lake and slow dial-up internet.

The Phoenix
11-18-2009, 11:42
I stayed at both... in my opinion the comparison is not even close.

Rebekah's personalities is one of a kind... the most kind, loving, down to earth gal I met on the trail. Let me do two very very very fair work for stays... which included AYCE tacos and fried fish... every night the have some sort of very excellent dinner deal... the girls that work there are pretty awesome too... it was a pleasure doing my work for stay along side them.

Lake Shore House is a progressive spot in a small town in Maine... with live music, outdoor games, boats, a water trampoline, and good group of friendly locals to hang around with... that spot blew me away... what away to start or end the 100 mile wilderness!!

Now you can also get Shaw's breakfast from Lake Shore House... which is a must hit... can't beat the value! Shaw's also has some excellent A.T. history on its side and I love old school places... but when push comes to shove Rebekah and her spot were amongst my favorite thru-hiking memories...

She is a really great person and that is a great place to be!

kanga
11-18-2009, 12:03
Let me do two very very very fair work for stays... which included AYCE tacos and fried fish...

no doubt..

warraghiyagey
11-19-2009, 08:58
no Doubt..
:d:d . . . . .

Wheeler
11-19-2009, 09:53
Lake Shore House- It's on the lake,they let you take the kayaks out,above the restaurant/bar and laundrymat,closer to stores.Work for stay,good people. Shaws is a pretty short walk for breakfast.

walkin' wally
11-26-2009, 12:08
Lake Shore House didn't serve breakfast this year. They have good lunch and evening meals. I stayed at Shaws too as I maintain a section near there. They are both good places. I agree with the posters that said the folks at both places are nice people.

The two young ladies that worked at Lakeshore were indeed very pleasant. One of them was Sarah I forget the other's name. Both very nice.

About midsummer Lakeshore house started to have live music on Sunday afternoon. They also very occaisionally had live music on Saturday night.

Off topic there is also live music at Tim's general store on Friday nights too.

Tinker
11-27-2009, 00:23
We stayed at the Lake Shore house last winter (Shaws was closed).

Its a B&B rather than a hostel. Clean. Struck me as a good value.

The bar/restaraunt out back had really good food. Hosts were friendly. Its worth dropping into the laundry downstairs just to check out the old photos on the walls.

Last fall Shaw's wasn't taking credit cards so I stayed at the Lake Shore House. Food (and a cold brew!) was available most of the day and into the night (breakfast could be had at Shaw's - cash only - and worth it). More locals and passers-by (motorcyclists for one - a group I can relate to) stop by the Lake Shore house since it is right on the main street through town. I borrowed a kayak (free) at the LSH (tired of typing it out) and paddled out on the pond at sunset. They have a water fire (floating fire ring) at night though not the night I stayed there.
They were short on room the night I came back after the Hundred Mile with my son, so, since I'd stayed there the week before, Rebecca had her son sleep with her and my son and I stayed in her son's room. How nice is that?! (I'm not sure how her son liked it).
I'd stay there again and have breakfast at Shaw's again.
I'd feel strange visiting one place while staying at the other (a three minute walk) - actually I did feel uneasy visiting hikers at Shaw's when I changed my mind because of their no credit card policy forcing me to stay at the LSH, but redeemed myself by buying breakfast :o.