PDA

View Full Version : Current level of blackflies

Phreak
06-22-2007, 17:05
Hey everyone,
Any idea on the current blackfly situation in Maine? I leave on Monday for my SOBO and just wondering what to expect from our little black friends.

Thanks.

katagious
06-22-2007, 17:30
You know...comparitively speaking...they haven't been too bad this year. Although...Of course..the pollens been so bad that I've been taking so many drugs just to breathe that I'm not sure I'd even...notice..hmmm..

No, really..they are around but not so bad as past years.

superman
06-22-2007, 18:16
Not to worry...there are plenty of little critters still flying and biting. Black flies aren't the only game in the woods. You'll have an hour in the morning and an hour at night to do what you want. The rest of the time just keep moving. A tent that can be thrown up fast can save your sanity for breaks, etc.

mudhead
06-22-2007, 19:06
2nd the bug and pollen report. This is one of the heaviest pollen seasons I can remember. (For Maine.)

Only got squirrely one day (from the bugs...)

Now the mosquitos are another matter. At first light thru about 8AM, they have been mean. The night feeders have not appeared yet.

For what it's worth, I saw the first deerfly. Yeehaw!

woodsy
06-23-2007, 09:38
Just getting back from the AT in the E.Carry-Pierce Pond region. The Black flies were of little nusiance but the mosquitos were pests throughout my stay.
As has been previuosly stated, the Black flies are not too vicious this season and thats good news for people in the deep woods.

I leave on Monday for my SOBO and just wondering what to expect from our little black friends.
Have a great hike!

ozt42
06-28-2007, 13:31
I'm leaving next friday SoBo, any new reports on the bug situation?

woodsy
06-28-2007, 16:40
Tis the season for these guys:

Horse flies and deer flies prefer hotter weather than other biting insects and of the two, deer flies are by far more numerous. They don't usually become a problem until the dog days of summer. Their bite is painful and annoying, but it is their incessant buzzing around the head that is most distracting. They much prefer biting the highest point of their targets and are easily deterred by a hood or hat.Black fly season which was mild is nearing end but the skeeters have been "wicked".
Have a great hike!

ozt42
06-30-2007, 10:07
Thanks woodsy :)

Route Step
06-30-2007, 21:04
I don't care what any Down Easter says, Black Fly season ends in late July.

TJ aka Teej
06-30-2007, 22:12
Last weekend in Baxter there were hardly any at all. The skeeters were out in force, though.

brit4jesus
08-03-2007, 07:42
dose bug repelant work on all of these critters?

Appalachian Tater
08-03-2007, 12:24
DEET works pretty well against mosquitoes and ticks but may have limited effectiveness against black flies and deer flies. The latter in particular seem not to be deterred by it.

Black flies seem to prefer certain people over others.

For deer flies, a hat helps a lot; if they are bad, a bandana or netting over your head can help.

DEET doesn't kill insects, it only repels some of them.

http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/chemicals/deet.htm

walkin' wally
08-05-2007, 18:44
I just spent a week north of Monson and there were no blackflies anywhere. The mosquitos were not really bad but the deerflies are having a bumper crop this year. The 100% deet did not work for me at all against deerflies. Even on the hottest days this week I found wearing a long sleeve shirt and hat was the most effective deterrent for me.