PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles -- first time

Grumpy Ol' Pops
06-22-2007, 19:52
:confused: I recently approached those "golden years" when I thought I'd better try trekking poles on an upcoming 2-week section hike from Pawling, NY to Delaware Water Gap, PA.
Any suggestions on the proper length to which I should set them, or does the length change frequently based on the terrain?

Lone Wolf
06-22-2007, 20:07
why do you feel you need them?

Frosty
06-22-2007, 20:13
:confused: I recently approached those "golden years" when I thought I'd better try trekking poles on an upcoming 2-week section hike from Pawling, NY to Delaware Water Gap, PA.
Any suggestions on the proper length to which I should set them, or does the length change frequently based on the terrain?I'm 6'5" and after much experimentation generally set them around 120 cm. I definately lengthen them when going down steep downhills, and rest the palm of my hand on the top of the poles, using them as support for the big steps down.

The most amazing thing I've found is that I seem to walk more efficiently on the flat with them, and on old road beds (AT north of Low Gap Shelter in GA, etc) walking with two poles is effortless and speedy.

Franco
06-22-2007, 20:47
The height it's easy. For flat ground your elbow should be at 90 degree when still. Decrease that going up and increase going down. That is one of the reasons I like the Black Diamond flick lock, very quick to set.
BTW contrary to what most people do, the weight of your hand should be on the strap not the handle. To do that hold the strap out and insert your hand under it so that the wide part is over the back of your hand. This mode allows the wrist to remain straight .
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/Pole-grip.jpg
Franco

Grumpy Ol' Pops
06-22-2007, 20:58
why do you feel you need them?
Knees are beginning to act up a bit at this age. They might help, so I'm trying them.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
06-22-2007, 21:01
The height it's easy. For flat ground your elbow should be at 90 degree when still. Decrease that going up and increase going down. That is one of the reasons I like the Black Diamond flick lock, very quick to set.
BTW contrary to what most people do, the weight of your hand should be on the strap not the handle. To do that hold the strap out and insert your hand under it so that the wide part is over the back of your hand. This mode allows the wrist to remain straight .
Franco
Kind of like all the folks who have to use crutches for the first time and they always lean their armpits onto the tops of the cruthes?
That quik-lok feature is what attracted me to the Black Diamonds, also. And they were on 40% off sale on Father's Day!!!

Frosty
06-22-2007, 21:11
FrancoI have a pair of Black Diamonds. I have trouble with them slipping. If I tighten the screw until they don't slip in use, it is almost impossible to snap them loose to adjust. That said, I do like them for snowshoeing. They don't slip as much (don't put as much weight on them in the snow?) and they can be adjusted wearing mittens.

I like them a tad longer than recommended (90*, level forearm, yaddda yadda). I tend to keep them pointed backwards (a habit built XC skiing, I'm sure) and need them a bit longer.

Franco
06-22-2007, 21:26
I had the same problem at the beginning. I think that the trick is to leave the flick lock open when they are not in use and to tighten it when in the locked position so that it is just right ( not too loose, not too tight) . I have not re-tighten mine for a couple of years at least, they are on the third set of rubber tips. (Leave No Trace). I weigh 72 kg (158 lbs)
Franco

Route Step
06-23-2007, 08:38
I used a pair of sticks that I picked up along the way. One has a knob just below where I grip it when hiking on flats, the other a curve. They are a great help going up or down hill. The one I call bear basher (solid piece of hickory) developed a nice patina from the sweat I made hauling it up and down those hills.

buckowens
06-23-2007, 10:25
I just used a set of Lekis for GA and found them invaluable. They saved me from a tumble on more than one occasion and aided in the uphills. Same for Roo my daughter as well. I set mine to 90 degree elbow and they worked fine.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
06-23-2007, 13:34
Thanks to all for the advice! Time to get packed and get to the trailhead!:sun

SunnyWalker
06-27-2007, 17:08
For the same reasons I just bought (two days ago) a pair of the inexpensive Werner poles ($12.99 each) to try out. I noticed they were a little heavier than the Lekis for sale ($90 a set).
-SunnyWalker

warren doyle
06-27-2007, 22:45
One used ski pole ($1) from a thrift store. Top of handle should be halfway between your waist and armpit. 'Palm' the pole going downhill and lean back slightly.
Reuse and recycle.

SunnyWalker
06-28-2007, 22:51
Thanks for the tips. I started reading this thread cuz I was obviously interested. I used my poles to walk to work today. Looked like a dork walking through town with them (Hee, hee). They are just fine-I am old school and used to one stick. I thnk they are going to be great. It is a good idea and too bad it took so long for them to come along. -SunnyWalker