PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire- The Whites

ga>me>ak
10-07-2003, 08:36
I was going to leave the Gathering and head to Franconia State Park and spend a few days around there, and a couple on the trail. Thought it was a great place to camp, and leave my car to do a few days out. I was just at their website and see the park closes the day I was driving up 10/13. Is this true and if so, what other options are in the area? I'm not at all familiar with the Whites. Any advice..recomendations...input,
many thanks in advance

Blue Jay
10-07-2003, 09:26
The parking lots in the Notch are still open. I did Franconia to Crawford in the winter a few years ago. They may be crowded as the colors seem to be later this year. The Huts are closed and there are no caretakers at the campsites. You should have a great trip.

TJ aka Teej
10-07-2003, 10:20
The parkway, parking lots and trails will be open. The 'closed' refers only to stuff like the visitor's center and the entry-fee Flume Gorge. They'll be open the 13th, it's Columbus Day and will see lots of leaf-peepers in cars and buses. Maybe instead of the tourist-target on Monday, consider the Glenciff area, and save Franconia Notch for Tuesday?

ga>me>ak
10-07-2003, 11:56
I think I'll check out Glencliff Monday, go to Franconia (Lafayette to camp)Tues, and spend Weds-Sat morning hiking around( figure out to where after I get some better maps). Do you see any faults in this plan?
Ya'll( yeh, I'm from the south) originally gave me info for a trip out of Hanover but then I realized how close I was to the Whites and thought why not go for the gusto. Don't think I'll freeze to death do ya? I'm bringing way to much stuff, but, rather have it than not....and need it.

smokymtnsteve
10-07-2003, 12:01
don't ya need a permit or pay a fee to frezze to death in the whites....:D

ga>me>ak
10-07-2003, 12:43
Called the park...need a permit to park along the Notch... if your in the park it's the honor system to camp, no fee to park( not sure what it means as I thought the park WAS in the Notch?) I'll just leave the money sticking out between my frozen fingers..they'll find it

rickb
10-07-2003, 15:31
You can always buy maps at the AMC's $9 million dollar Highland Center in Crawford Notch. You can get a private room with high-speed internet connection for about $140.

The permits that are being refered to are nothing more than parking passes. If you are not into civil disobedeance, these can often be purchase at parking lot kiosks, but you might also stop in the NPS station in Lincoln (just off the highway) or the AMC in Crawford Notch to get one that would be valid as you move your car from lot to lot. Not sure what the options are, but there are several.

For the most part you can camp anywhere in the Whites that is

A) Below tree line
B) 1/4 mile away from a man-made facility like a road or a hut
C) Is flat enough to pitch a tent ;-)
D) Not in Crawford or Franconia Notch state Parks, which cater to the car camper and day user. FYI, there are a whole bunch of NFS car campgrounds throughout the Whites, but not sure if any will be open.

You might want to check out www.outdoors.org for info on the AMC shuttle bus, and/or http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/ for trail conditions.

Just some thoughts.

Rick B

smokymtnsteve
10-07-2003, 15:41
i thought the AMC had a special permit for frezzing to death..it isagainsst park regualtions to freezze to death in the smokies ...w\o a permit:D

and this one is for real..the GSMNP does issue a permit for scattering of cremins...it's against the law to scatter human ashes w\o a permit in the park..even if the cause of death was by frezzing and you had the proper permit to do so.

rickb
10-07-2003, 15:53
SMS--

I think you are confusing the AMC with NH Fish and Game. But even they don't charge you in advance for freezing to death.

As I understand the regs, people wearing Gortex who have a map in their frozen fingers when discovered will not be charged, although there are some grey areas open for interpretation.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/News_2001_and_previous/news_search_and_rescue_99.htm

Rick B