PDA

View Full Version : Food Planning

jgeise01
06-22-2007, 20:54
Hey all,
I'm going to be doing a 10-14 day hike from Harper's Ferry VA up to Duncannon PA. One of the things that I have been wondering about is food. I have the DataBook which lists grocery stores where I can restock and I know some mail themselves food to POs but since I am only doing 10-14 days, I didn't think mailing myself food made sense. I'm hoping for a little bit of advice on the subject. Also, any good food recommendations are welcome! See you out there,
Julien

superman
06-22-2007, 21:02
I only carry about three days food at a time. I vary that according to the resupply options. I always throw in a couple extra ramens as insurance. Some folks would carry all that food for your whole hike. I'd rather grab a resupply and keep moving light.

mrc237
06-23-2007, 07:29
See Balt. Jack's re-supply on WB homepage. Worked great for me.

ShakeyLeggs
06-23-2007, 09:20
Hey all,
I'm going to be doing a 10-14 day hike from Harper's Ferry VA up to Duncannon PA. One of the things that I have been wondering about is food. I have the DataBook which lists grocery stores where I can restock and I know some mail themselves food to POs but since I am only doing 10-14 days, I didn't think mailing myself food made sense. I'm hoping for a little bit of advice on the subject. Also, any good food recommendations are welcome! See you out there,
Julien

I only carry about three days food at a time. I vary that according to the resupply options. I always throw in a couple extra ramens as insurance. Some folks would carry all that food for your whole hike. I'd rather grab a resupply and keep moving light.

I agree with Superman. I tried this section last month but had a problem with my knees so had to cut it short. I broke my own cardinal rule by trying to carry all the food I needed for the hike. I usually carry only about 3 or 4 days worth of food. I am thinking of going back and doing this section again and this time will stick to my rule. There are many resupply options in this section so that will not be a problem. So like it has been said save the weight by resupplying.

Chaco Taco
06-23-2007, 23:40
I have heard that doing a maildrop option is cheaper, especially if you are trying to get ready for a through. I am doing a 9 day section and Im going to do maildrops as a practice run for a thru.

Appalachian Tater
06-24-2007, 22:23
How do you figure maildrops are cheaper? Work for USPS and get your mail free?

Chaco Taco
06-25-2007, 17:41
The food is so expensive in some of the towns. Id rather go to a cheap grocery in my own town, get my stuff and send it ahead, the postage isnt that bad.

Chaco Taco
06-25-2007, 17:43
But then again, I could be totally off and need to rethink my own plan!:cool:

katagious
06-25-2007, 17:54
Well..I think it depends on what you're planning on eating. I think for 10-14 days, I'd just buy on the trail. Each flat rate package you mail will cost you 8.95 just for the postage. Any savings your expecting would probably be lost there.

Chaco Taco
06-25-2007, 17:55
Well..I think it depends on what you're planning on eating. I think for 10-14 days, I'd just buy on the trail. Each flat rate package you mail will cost you 8.95 just for the postage. Any savings your expecting would probably be lost there.

Gotcha. I stand corrected

Lone Wolf
06-25-2007, 17:56
I have heard that doing a maildrop option is cheaper, especially if you are trying to get ready for a through. I am doing a 9 day section and Im going to do maildrops as a practice run for a thru.

buying along the way is MUCH cheaper than mail drops. by far.

Johnny Swank
06-25-2007, 18:03
I agree with no mailing unless you have a dietary issue. Food isn't that hard to get ahold of on the AT 99% of the time.

Having said that, we're going to be mailing some rockstar dehydrated meals for a 125 mile section between Roan Mtn and Hot Springs. The only reason we're doing that is because the maildrop location (Uncle Johnny's - yeah, I know) is literally 20 feet off the trail and it'll save us carrying an extra 4 days of food from the start. I'm UPS'ing this from work so it won't be that pricey.

superman
06-25-2007, 22:22
buying along the way is MUCH cheaper than mail drops. by far.

It's not just cheaper but a heck of a lot more convenient.

Programbo
06-25-2007, 22:25
Ah yes..Food...I suggest buying food along the way especially since the section of trail you name is always crossing roads with a short trip to a food store...Carry only what you can make with boiling water and preferrably in one pot...rice..noodles...dried soup mixes...those package noodle/beef/chicken things...cereals for breakfast...powdered drink mixes..dried fruits...gorp..trail mix..I`m just naming stuff off the top of my head..I`d go to a big food store and slowly walk the aisle and see what you discover that`s light/cheap/easy to make...Also you will pass a number of roads where you can treat yourself to some junk food or a sit down meal or stop when you are only a few miles from the shelter and grab something canned to treat yourself with for the night