PDA

View Full Version : Barber shops

Phreak
06-22-2007, 21:20
Can anyone tell me how often I'd be able to find a barber shop in the trail towns along the AT? I shave my head and plan to keep it shaved during my hike, and I don't mind carrying a razor, but a barber would be easier.

Thanks!

Condor
06-22-2007, 22:26
I know there is a good one in waynesburo. They shaved my head with a smile.

fiddlehead
06-23-2007, 02:36
I'm gonna guess here: NOBO: Franklin NC, (aprox 100 miles from springer),
Gatlinburg TN, (250), Hot springs NC, Erwin TN, Damascus VA, (450), Pearisburg Va (600?) , WaynesboroVA (850), Front Royal VA, Boiling Springs PA (close to halfway point) ,Duncannon PA, Slatington, PA (or nearby Palmerton) (1200?) Pawling, NY? (1400), Kent, CT, Dalton, MA, North Adams MA, Bennington VT (1600), Manchester Center VT, Hanover NH, Gorham NH(1800), Rangely ME, Monson Me (2,000) Millinocket, ME.
I'm sure there are more, for example: Rusty will probably be glad to shave your head. as will some of the hostels. Notice once you get to NH, the bigger towns are not very frequent but by then, you should have it figured out how to shave your own head. (one option is to put an electric razor in a bounce box if this is so important to you)
Like I said, these are only guesses as they are the bigger towns on the trail and I would bet that at least 80% of the above towns have a barber shop. However, that doesn't mean you will hit them when they are open or that they will be close to the trail. I always think it best to not have to rely on others for too much.

Nest
06-23-2007, 03:01
I thought about getting my hair cut regularly on my thru next year, but decided against it. If I cut my hair I would need to shave. Being a skinny guy I can't pull off the bald and beard look. Just look ridiculous. Then I figured if I was clean shaven and cut I would never get picked up for a ride to or from town. The farther up north you get, I figure the town people would be used to seeing you more and more hairy. If you were freshly cut I think some would be more hesitant to pick you up thinking you were some crazy person posing as a hiker. Just a thought. I wouldn't pick up someone who was freshly shaven and cut, yet supposedly hiked for the past couple of months.

superman
06-23-2007, 06:02
I thought about getting my hair cut regularly on my thru next year, but decided against it. If I cut my hair I would need to shave. Being a skinny guy I can't pull off the bald and beard look. Just look ridiculous. Then I figured if I was clean shaven and cut I would never get picked up for a ride to or from town. The farther up north you get, I figure the town people would be used to seeing you more and more hairy. If you were freshly cut I think some would be more hesitant to pick you up thinking you were some crazy person posing as a hiker. Just a thought. I wouldn't pick up someone who was freshly shaven and cut, yet supposedly hiked for the past couple of months.

You’re wasting too many brain cells on a non-issue. Many guys get the beard and hair thing going during their thru. On the other hand some just get a buzz cut and others go to a barber. It all works. It's more about what you feel comfortable with. Don't worry about getting rides...it'll happen. When I was hiking with TUK he demonstrated his reverse hike. He put up his thumb to the cars going the wrong way and the guy turned around to give us a ride. Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all good.

jrwiesz
06-23-2007, 08:39
Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all good.

I like that S-man.:sun

As far as barbers along the AT, my initial though was, "people in trail towns don't get hair-cuts?" And, "How fast does your hair grow?"
My guess is, this might be a "non-issue"; I would think there are enough barbers along the trail to keep a shaved head, reasonably shaved, without too much trouble.:-?

Save the weight penalty, leave the hair grooming gear at home.

superman
06-23-2007, 08:58
Remember that Seinfeld episode where Elaine is dating a guy who shaved his head for years? Then he stopped shaving it only to discover that during the time he'd been shaving his head he'd gone bald.

At one point in my 30s I was losing a lot more hair than usual so I figured I was going bald like some of the other men in my family. I resolved that I would start shaving my head if I went bald. Then it stopped and I never went bald...not that there's anything wrong with it.

http://groups.msn.com/OldGUYthenandnow/shoebox.msnw

Footslogger
06-23-2007, 09:10
Here's a thought ...put a clipper in your bounce box.

I don't "shave" my head but I do buzz it down as low as the clipper blade will take it when I'm hiking. In 2003 I packed inexpensive clipper in my bounce box and got it about every 2 - 3 weeks for a touch up.

Just a thought ...

'Slogger

jrwiesz
06-23-2007, 09:24
I'll have to watch for this episode, been recording them to watch as I can. I think maybe I saw it, but don't recall...not that there's anything wrong with that.
My wife has the book, "Don't sweat the small stuff, it's all small stuff."
Yup!

SunnyWalker
10-01-2008, 23:49
Good idea Footslogger. I think I will heed your advice.

mudhead
10-02-2008, 04:29
I like a 3 1/2 during hot weather.

TOW
10-02-2008, 04:51
Can anyone tell me how often I'd be able to find a barber shop in the trail towns along the AT? I shave my head and plan to keep it shaved during my hike, and I don't mind carrying a razor, but a barber would be easier.

Thanks!Most hair salons will cut your hair and most will not charge you too much for just getting it all whacked off........

NICKTHEGREEK
10-02-2008, 05:47
Bald and beard looks the same way on all regardless of weight.

Lone Wolf
10-02-2008, 05:53
I'm gonna guess here: NOBO: Franklin NC, (aprox 100 miles from springer),
Gatlinburg TN, (250), Hot springs NC, Erwin TN, Damascus VA, (450), Pearisburg Va (600?) , WaynesboroVA (850), Front Royal VA, Boiling Springs PA (close to halfway point) ,Duncannon PA, Slatington, PA (or nearby Palmerton) (1200?) Pawling, NY? (1400), Kent, CT, Dalton, MA, North Adams MA, Bennington VT (1600), Manchester Center VT, Hanover NH, Gorham NH(1800), Rangely ME, Monson Me (2,000) Millinocket, ME.
I'm sure there are more, for example: Rusty will probably be glad to shave your head. as will some of the hostels. Notice once you get to NH, the bigger towns are not very frequent but by then, you should have it figured out how to shave your own head. (one option is to put an electric razor in a bounce box if this is so important to you)
Like I said, these are only guesses as they are the bigger towns on the trail and I would bet that at least 80% of the above towns have a barber shop. However, that doesn't mean you will hit them when they are open or that they will be close to the trail. I always think it best to not have to rely on others for too much.
no barber in damascus but there are 3 beauty shops. one with a tanning bed

Marta
10-02-2008, 07:35
Here's a thought ...put a clipper in your bounce box.

I don't "shave" my head but I do buzz it down as low as the clipper blade will take it when I'm hiking. In 2003 I packed inexpensive clipper in my bounce box and got it about every 2 - 3 weeks for a touch up.

Just a thought ...

'Slogger

This is the plan that gets my vote. Turns the hair-cropping project from an hour or two to a few minutes.

The fewer chores you have to do in town, the better.

Homer&Marje
10-02-2008, 07:40

Thanks!

I have been thinking of this same question for my thru, I am not a gram weery by any standards so I just might opt to bring my plug in Conair hair clippers. About 1 lb and I think it will save me some time and effort finding a barber, or slicing myself up with a regular razor.

I am looking for a lighter one.... and who knows I might ditch it by Neels Gap.

LIhikers
10-02-2008, 07:49
......... Then I figured if I was clean shaven and cut I would never get picked up for a ride to or from town. The farther up north you get, I figure the town people would be used to seeing you more and more hairy. If you were freshly cut I think some would be more hesitant to pick you up thinking you were some crazy person posing as a hiker. Just a thought. I wouldn't pick up someone who was freshly shaven and cut, yet supposedly hiked for the past couple of months.

Each summer my wife and I go out for a short section hike of just 1 or 2 weeks. Beforehand I get a crewcut and shave off my beard. So far we haven't had any trouble hitching a ride in MA or VT, the only places we've tried.