PDA

View Full Version : Looking to lighten my pack. Considering a ULA.

RockStar
06-24-2007, 06:15
Due to back problems I am looking to lighten my pack every way possible. I am considering a ULA. I was thinking of the Conduit but, see the catalyst has an enternal frame. I believe the enternal frame is good back support. However I have a small torso. It measures 17 and some change. I know I should ask Brian about the torso situation but, was hoping some of you use the ULA packs and can give me different user insights. I currently have a gregory Tega. I love this pack at 2900cu. but, it is 3lbs and 3oz. I use the Medium and it fits great. I was just impressed with the lesser weight and more cu. of the Catalyst. I hate that

I realize more cu. is temptation to carry more stuff but, My little Tega is maxed out at 30lbs. It is suppose to hold 25 at most. And I have a lot of stuff in outer pockets or strapped to the front like a sleeping pad, camp shoes, rope etc. I think a bigger cu. inside will help me be able to put everything inside and snug. PLus the Catalyst is fit for 30lbs. Which is the heaviest I carry with 4 days food/water.

Heater
06-24-2007, 06:40
Due to back problems I am looking to lighten my pack every way possible. I am considering a ULA. I was thinking of the Conduit but, see the catalyst has an enternal frame. I believe the enternal frame is good back support. However I have a small torso. It measures 17 and some change. I know I should ask Brian about the torso situation but, was hoping some of you use the ULA packs and can give me different user insights.

I am a 19 1/2 and a medium fits perfect. 17 is on the limit of the small but that would be what I would try first. Talk to brian and tell him of the situation. He will probably offer to swap for a medium if you get it and it doesn't fit.

Its a great pack.

Lilred
06-24-2007, 13:21
I have the older version of the ULA, the P-2 and I love my pack. I have a small torso and mine fits me like a glove. I highly recommend this pack to anyone looking for lightweight gear. It's not ultra-lite, but it will hold 35 lbs. I usually have between 30 and 35lbs and it still feels like a daypack. I got mine at Neel Gap and they fitted it for me. The Catalyst is the old P-2, just improved some.

Quoddy
06-24-2007, 15:42
I'd guess that you'll be going with the Small Catalyst, but definitely check with Brian on that. I found that the sizes, if anything, border on being slightly smaller than listed. A main option you may want is the dual stay framesheet if your weights are going to be much above 30#. The two options that I wouldn't be without are the bottle holsters (I have both left and right on my Conduit) and the internal stash pocket (very handy).

RockStar
06-24-2007, 17:32
I'd guess that you'll be going with the Small Catalyst, but definitely check with Brian on that. I found that the sizes, if anything, border on being slightly smaller than listed. A main option you may want is the dual stay framesheet if your weights are going to be much above 30#. The two options that I wouldn't be without are the bottle holsters (I have both left and right on my Conduit) and the internal stash pocket (very handy).

You read my mind. When looking at the options I told myself I'd get those exact options. I have a 2L Big zip Platypus but, often bring a small gatoraide or powerade. i use the bottle for my hot choc. after its emptied of the drink I use it for several other things.

I think I will probably talk to Brian. My brain said "Talk to Brian" but, I always assume busy people are...busy and don't want to bother them until the last minute. :o THANKS for all the info/answers so far!

Spirit Walker
06-24-2007, 21:24
I've used the Catalyst for the past year and love it. It is a very comfortable pack and has worked well. We carry more weight than some, because of either water needs (1 gallon) or long food carries (8 days was the maximum so far.) I have the internal stayframe and definitely recommend it if you think you might be carrying more than 25 lbs. Can't help with torso size since I'm a medium build (5' 6").