PDA

View Full Version : Shockproof digital cameras

insure ants
06-24-2007, 14:35
Instead of looking through all the reviews, could you folks list all known compact (backpacking size) digital cameras that are shockproof? I tend to drop gadgets. Fortunately my cellphone can take a 5-foot drop onto the pavement.

Two Speed
06-24-2007, 14:50
Can't really offer an opinion on a shock proof camera, but I will say that a lanyard (aka "wrist loop") is a wonderful thing; greatly reduces electronic casualties. The first thing I do when handling my digital is to drop the lanyard over my wrist. Keeps the lanyard from screwing up the shot and keeps me from screwing up the camera.

I realize this doesn't directly answer your question, and I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions, but this might offer a way to get better life out of whatever camera you wind up with; any camera, however shockproof, can be broken if dropped far enough.

Franco
06-24-2007, 20:10
If you like something compact and don't expect SLR quality, the Olympus SW (Shock/Water proof) is the one. The latest is the 770, the third version. 7mp,3x zoom, waterproof to 30' and shock proof to 5'. I drop tested a previous version from about 4' on hard floor and it looked and performed afterwards just as before.
Another consideration could be the Pentax Optio WP series with the silicone cover. That is what I use.
Franco

insure ants
06-24-2007, 21:05
Follow up questions:

Do compact digital cameras work in cold temps? I do lots of winter hiking, and want a camera that will work down to 0 degrees. A review of the Olympus Stylus 770 SW says it functions down to 14 degrees. Only 14 degrees? Give me a break.

What is the best way to attach a laynard to a camera that doesn't have a laynard loop?

smokymtnsteve
06-24-2007, 21:08
I have problem with my digital Olympus in cold weather, esp below O,

Dr O
06-24-2007, 22:23
Follow up questions:

Do compact digital cameras work in cold temps? I do lots of winter hiking, and want a camera that will work down to 0 degrees. A review of the Olympus Stylus 770 SW says it functions down to 14 degrees. Only 14 degrees? Give me a break.

LCD's don't work in cold temperatures (although the sensors will), batteries wont work well either. I still use film for sub zero temps, and manual too, because of the battery issues.

Franco
06-24-2007, 23:10
Insure Ants
Since you are from Connecticut, I can only assume you mean 0 Fahrenheit as in -18 Centigrade.
I am not aware of any type of battery that will work down to that temperature, are you ?

On the other hand , I have seen people taking pictures with compact digital cameras standing at the top of Mt Everest . They simply keep the camera inside the down jacket, whip it out, take the shots and put it back. Condensation is less likely to be a problem with a fully sealed body as in the Olympus than most other cameras.
Franco