PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Harper's Ferry

jgeise01
06-24-2007, 14:52
Hey guys,
I'm planning a 10-12 day section hike from Harper's Ferry to Central PA. I've heard that you can get a train down there. All I've been able to find is Amtrak through Philly and DC which runs about $156 one way. Any one know of a cheaper way of doing it? I'd greatly appreciate any help!
Julien

ShakeyLeggs
06-24-2007, 14:57
Amtrak does indeed go to Harpers. I know this because last month I took the train from Harrisburg to Harpers. I just checked the Amtrak site and got a $98 fare. Go to the Amtrak (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/HomePage&WT.mc_t=LDTFY07SEARCH&WT.mc_n=ldtGNAamt&WT.mc_r=14) site. Enter Har for Harrisburg and HFY for harpers, Enter the date you would like to leave and any other info. Hope this helps.

The train will go thru Philly and DC on its way to Harpers. But no biggie I had the same route when I went down to Harpers.

Footnotes
06-24-2007, 17:44
You can also take the train to Union Station In DC and catch the commuter train (not Amtrak) to Harper's Ferry. They start running at about 1:30 PM and the last one is about 8:00 PM on weekdays only. The cost is about $12 one way. If the next train only goes to Point of Rocks you can either walk the three miles or ask the conductor to see if one of the commuters will give you a ride. Rode the train for thirteen years and helped a number of hikers and one drunk jockey.

thestin
06-24-2007, 19:00
It's known as the MARC train. Here's the website for it.

thestin
06-24-2007, 19:00
http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/

Here's the link

Footnotes
06-24-2007, 19:11
I made an error in describing the commuter train from DC to Harper's Ferry. All trains go thru Point of Rocks which is about 15 miles from HF. Some of the trains stop at Brunswick, MD which is about 3 miles via the tow path along the river to HF. The rest of the trains continue on to Martinsburg and one of their stops is HF. All trains run on what is known as the Brunwick Line. Sorry about the confusion. I try really hard to forget that part of my life. I use to get up at 3:30 AM to catch that train for my commute into DC. Thank God for retirement.

Foot Notes

wilconow
06-24-2007, 19:42
I made an error in describing the commuter train from DC to Harper's Ferry. All trains go thru Point of Rocks which is about 15 miles from HF. Some of the trains stop at Brunswick, MD which is about 3 miles via the tow path along the river to HF. The rest of the trains continue on to Martinsburg and one of their stops is HF. All trains run on what is known as the Brunwick Line. Sorry about the confusion. I try really hard to forget that part of my life. I use to get up at 3:30 AM to catch that train for my commute into DC. Thank God for retirement.

Foot Notes

just look at this link for the schedules. you can see which trains stop in HF, and when

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/Brunswick_sched.cfm

Programbo
06-24-2007, 19:50
There`s always the Greyhoud too which will get you as close as Hagerstown and then you can maybe get a lift down there..The MARC train gets you right into Harpers Ferry.

Johnny Thunder
06-25-2007, 10:05
CHINA TOWN BUS. Fung WA. THE BRUCE LEE. ETC

Take Amtrak to Philly. Get off at 30th ST. Take the El (Blue subway line) East to The Gallery (11th or 10th and Market). Walk North one block to the under-side of the PA Convention Center. Hop bus to DC for 20 or 25 bones. Get off in DC. Take train to HF. Hike North for 10 to 14 days. Easy Peasey.

Johnny

PM me for details and/or questions.

BlackCloud
06-26-2007, 09:56
A few years ago I took an Amtrak from Rockville (north of Union Station) to Martinsburg (west of HF) for all of $28. I can't imagine $156 being the best price...

Programbo
06-26-2007, 22:44
Hey guys, I'm planning a 10-12 day section hike from Harper's Ferry to Central PA. Any one know of a cheaper way of doing it? I'd greatly appreciate any help! Julien

When are you planning this trip for?...If you can take the Greyhound as far as the East Baltimore stop (The one at the Travel Plaza not the one Downtown) and make it on a weekend I will drive you from there to Harper`s Ferry,Weaverton,whatever suits you if you pay me lets say $50 (Gas,food,tolls)

Streamweaver
06-27-2007, 09:43
Marc train and amtrak are not the same train! Marc is way cheaper but it only covers a certain area and it doesnt run on weekends.

Montana
06-29-2007, 12:40
I'll second the MARC train, it was a very convenient and cheap way to get to DC from Harpers Ferry. It should work great for you in reverse.

-Montana

oldbear
06-29-2007, 16:54
There`s always the Greyhoud too which will get you as close as Hagerstown and then you can maybe get a lift down there..The MARC train gets you right into Harpers Ferry.
Greyhound will also get you to Frederick MD . It's about 21.5 mi to HF .
It's also a straight shot down Rt 340. Me, I'd make up a sign that said HF , get on 340 before it hits the interstate (s) stick my thumb out and see what happens.

Programbo
06-29-2007, 18:53
Greyhound will also get you to Frederick MD . It's about 21.5 mi to HF .It's also a straight shot down Rt 340. Me, I'd make up a sign that said HF , get on 340 before it hits the interstate (s) stick my thumb out and see what happens.

Back in the 70`s when I was in my teens I`d get up to the trail by first taking the local MTA bus downtown to the Greyhound station..Then I`d get a ticket to Hagerstown..Once in Hagerstown I`d start walking out the east side of the city on Rt 40 and stick out my thumb...Most times I`d get at least one or two rides for part of the trip..But there were times I`d walk the entire 22 miles from Hagerstown up to the AT....As far as hitching down to Harpers Ferry now-a-days I think it might be better to go down the back roads as you are more likely to get a ride because the traffic is going slower..It`s more local people than the highway..Plus there`s a lot of pick-up trucks and they are more likely to let you hop in back