PDA

View Full Version : Selfish idiots destroy rare plants on Kathadin.

TJ aka Teej
06-24-2007, 16:09
A few days ago two morons parasailed off the Tableland. They laid out big tarps (so their chutes wouldn't snag) and dragged them across fragile plants and nesting areas for Bicknell's Thrush well off the marked trail. They then cleared brush for a runway, amd hollered at hikers back on the trail to haul their crap back down for them, and jumped.
They landed in a boggy area near a pond about twenty minutes later, alive.
Late that afternoon they showed up back at the campground, bragging about their stunt and looking to see if anyone had hauled down their gear from the Tableland. They had left their vehicle parked at a lean-to, the people who had reserved the lean-to were more than a little annoyed. The parasailing selfish yahoos managed to slip out of the Park before just before Rangers could confront them.
--
Un****ingbelievable.

emerald
06-24-2007, 16:33
:-? Such people should be banned from BSP for life. Self-centered thrill-seekers who don't give a damn about anyone or anything but themself!:rolleyes:

smokymtnsteve
06-24-2007, 16:39
Much worse and dangerous than fording:eek:

neighbor dave
06-24-2007, 16:40
:-? i wonder if they were from kweebek?:-?

DavidNH
06-24-2007, 16:56
I want to firmly concur that those idiots be banned from BSP for life.
Ban them from the whole damn AT for that matter. Such disregard for the fragile alpine environment is reprehensible.

I just WISH the rangers had caught them

It would serve them right if no one brought their gear down!

David

emerald
06-24-2007, 18:04
:-? i wonder if they were from kweebek?:-?

Was you hopin' they was from Away and might stay there?:D

mweinstone
06-24-2007, 18:37
and were building a more accesable trail with more shelters ,...why?

mweinstone
06-24-2007, 18:39
if they pulled this stunt on the pct or cdt, they would have had a longer time escapeing and more chance to get caught. the at is ripe for misadventure cause its crowded and accessable.

mweinstone
06-24-2007, 18:45
different rules, less fools. rule one. make the trail a place for nature lovers with the skill and respect to travel a harder trail.

emerald
06-24-2007, 20:28
and were building a more accesable trail with more shelters ,...why?

You're not one of those elitists I've heard about, are you?:D

the at is ripe for misadventure cause its crowded and accessable.

More people does result in more problems, particularly at the most accessible locations, but charging an entry price equal to the cost of a tent is not a remedy. More people also means more eyes and ears, provided those people use them.;)

different rules, less fools. rule one. make the trail a place for nature lovers with the skill and respect to travel a harder trail.

Where do these nature lovers to whom you refer learn this skill and respect you find lacking in others if not on the A.T. and elsewhere where they come into contact with nature? I think tending gardens populated with native plants is a great introduction, but it won't get you all the way where you want to go.

Now I've got other stuff to do. Think on that for a while, will you?

greg burke
06-24-2007, 20:37
Selfish Pigs

Skidsteer
06-24-2007, 20:55
Shelters suck.

hammock engineer
06-25-2007, 11:40
I have a theory that it is people like that who have a lot of kids. People with better actions and morals don't seem to have as much. That way the gene pool gets more poluted and everything keeps getting worse.

Smudge
06-25-2007, 13:00
Hang on a minute. My parents had bad morals and actions? I personally feel that your theory is flawed buddy. My brothers and sisters most likely feel the same.

Jimmers
06-25-2007, 13:26
I have a theory that it is people like that who have a lot of kids. People with better actions and morals don't seem to have as much. That way the gene pool gets more poluted and everything keeps getting worse.

And I have an idea that your theory is full of sh#$. You need to revise your theory.

Doctari
06-25-2007, 18:55
I forget: are fires alowed on Big K? If so, I know what I would have done with ALL of their gear. Likely, that would have saved them having to carry most of it down. :p

warren doyle
06-25-2007, 19:19
Why not close down the perimeter road and have all the campgrounds walk-in only? I guess that wouldn't be good for the economy. Where would the Baxter State Park authority gets its income from then?

rickb
06-25-2007, 19:26
The road to Roaring Brook CG would be a good place to start.

Lone Wolf
06-25-2007, 19:33
Why not close down the perimeter road and have all the campgrounds walk-in only? I guess that wouldn't be good for the economy. Where would the Baxter State Park authority gets its income from then?

GREAT idea! same with ALL parks everywhere

Jimmers
06-25-2007, 19:36
GREAT idea! same with ALL parks everywhere

Yeah! Then congress can really cut the budget without all of those pesky facilities maintenance bills to pay. Why not get rid of trails too while we're at it? Make people really rough it? :-?:D

Lone Wolf
06-25-2007, 19:38
now you're talkin' jimmy ole' boy!

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2007, 20:55
Where would the Baxter State Park Authority get its income from, Warren?

You mean the income that preserves, protects, and insures the future of the Park?

Well, it evidently wouldn't come from YOU.

You've repeatedly told us here how much Baxter and Katahdin mean to you.
You speak of Katahdin in almost mystical, religious terms. You've repeatedly referred to your visits there as "pilgrimages" and refer to Baxter Peak as a "holy" mountain.

Yet you don't seem to value it very much as you don't seem interested over-much in its upkeep and maintenance, or how it is protected and maintained.

Religious experience?

Not exactly.

A cheap thrill, maybe. In your case, a VERY cheap one.

Free, in fact.

jrwiesz
06-26-2007, 01:05
i drove a golf ball off katahdin back in 97. i topped it. no divot, so no damage
Did you take the stroke penalty for "lost ball"?:-?

TJ aka Teej
06-26-2007, 08:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itejsk2zC0g

(Thanks to VFTT for finding this vid)

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2007, 09:17
Well, if they ever find the people and prosecute, there is a video record of the crime.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2007, 10:09
why is it a crime? where in the park is it posted "no hang gliding"?

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2007, 10:16
Actually, Wolf, you're mistaken.

If you go to the Baxter State Park Authority website, and check out the complete list of Park rules and regulations, you'll see (#20) that para-sailing and hang-gliding is expressly forbidden.

A list of Park Rules is posted at the Main Gate and elsewhere, in addition to the website.

So yeah, these clowns were indeed breaking the law.

Appalachian Tater
06-26-2007, 10:17
L. Wolf, see #24:
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/rules/allrules.html

Lone Wolf
06-26-2007, 10:19
Actually, Wolf, you're mistaken.

If you go to the Baxter State Park Authority website, and check out the complete list of Park rules and regulations, you'll see (#20) that para-sailing and hang-gliding is expressly forbidden.

A list of Park Rules is posted at the Main Gate and elsewhere, in addition to the website.

i'm not mistaken. i was asking a question

Lone Wolf
06-26-2007, 10:19
L. Wolf, see #24:
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/rules/allrules.html

ok. thanks.

Jack Tarlin
06-26-2007, 10:21
Just go to the website and read Rule #20, Wolf, then get back to us.

The answer to your question is this: Para-sailing and hang-gliding are forbidden activities in Baxter; engaging in this activity is illegal.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2007, 10:24
bottom line, it's hardly a major crime. alcohol is forbidden in the park too but is overlooked by rangers

woodsy
06-26-2007, 10:30
I say send em to Judge Judy's courtroom, she'll hang them hang gliders, LOL.

Lone Wolf
06-26-2007, 10:35
A few days ago two morons parasailed off the Tableland. They laid out big tarps (so their chutes wouldn't snag) and dragged them across fragile plants and nesting areas for Bicknell's Thrush well off the marked trail. They then cleared brush for a runway, amd hollered at hikers back on the trail to haul their crap back down for them, and jumped.
They landed in a boggy area near a pond about twenty minutes later, alive.
Late that afternoon they showed up back at the campground, bragging about their stunt and looking to see if anyone had hauled down their gear from the Tableland. They had left their vehicle parked at a lean-to, the people who had reserved the lean-to were more than a little annoyed. The parasailing selfish yahoos managed to slip out of the Park before just before Rangers could confront them.
--
Un****ingbelievable.

i wonder how may moose over the years trampled and destroyed rare vegetation?:-? shoot em'! steaks for all.:D

Grumpy Ol' Pops
06-26-2007, 10:57
When they left their tarp behind and asked hikers to bring it back down for them, weren't they littering, defacing Park property, and asking others to become accomplices in their conspiracy? Thoughts for the Rangers if/when they see the video and track down the source!

warren doyle
06-26-2007, 11:06
Does anyone want to YouTube me fording the Kennebec in early August?

Maybe you can use a tube to do it.

Think of the possibilities.

woodsy
06-26-2007, 11:25
Does anyone want to YouTube me fording the Kennebec in early August?

Maybe you can use a tube to do it.

Think of the possibilities.

Sure, I will. Only if you've got the balls to do it mid-afternoon!

Lone Wolf
06-26-2007, 11:32
Sure, I will. Only if you've got the balls to do it mid-afternoon!

that wouldn't be fording. that would be swimming.

warren doyle
06-26-2007, 12:57
And I utilize only my arms and legs to swim.

I am an advocate of fording the Kennebec River in the early morning (before 8am) after the snowmelt is over (from mid-June) and before the water gets too cold in the fall (until mid-October), and then only when the rockbars are showing about 150 yards upstream from the canoe ferry crossing.

mudhead
06-26-2007, 18:51
When they left their tarp behind and asked hikers to bring it back down for them, weren't they littering, defacing Park property, and asking others to become accomplices in their conspiracy? Thoughts for the Rangers if/when they see the video and track down the source!

Don't I have some piss poor timing. I could use a new tarp.